Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

African American students express fear of walking around the campus and claim they need to walk around in groups to ensure their safety.

According to one article below:

More than 2,300 students are enrolled at Sylmar High School. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 2,157 are Latino, 72 are black, 44 are white and 30 are Asian or Pacific Islander.

Danny Trejo addresses racially-charged fight at Sylmar High School | abc7.com
After an ugly brawl, Sylmar High students walk out of class and call for unity - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:24 PM

496 posts, read 574,580 times
I believe this. So sad.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:34 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Unfortunately, due to this involving people of color targeting and attacking each other, it won't make national news and lots of pontificating about the need for 'healing' and improving race relations on the talk show circuit.

Maybe it's just me, but if it were a group of white students that were going around targeting black students, the national news media would be all over it like flies to manure.

And it also shows that tensions between the two groups in Southern California aren't exactly something to gloss over and continue to exist in some areas.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
The entire article is about Latinos attaking blacks. It was appropriately quoted by the OP.
I read both articles. The articles said gang members, some of whom were not students, attacked Black students. But the first article was more than that. There was a big meeting with school district officials, and activist Danny Trejo spoke out. After he said what he said, school administrators were forced to listen to comments from the public.

The second article had students walk out in protest against the violent incident.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Unfortunately, due to this involving people of color targeting and attacking each other, it won't make national news and lots of pontificating about the need for 'healing' and improving race relations on the talk show circuit.

Maybe it's just me, but if it were a group of white students that were going around targeting black students, the national news media would be all over it like flies to manure.

And it also shows that tensions between the two groups in Southern California aren't exactly something to gloss over and continue to exist in some areas.
ABC and the LA Times aren't the national media? Please, it's pretty national.

Students had a rally against the violence, and the school officials met with the community over the incident, where after Danny Trejo demanded it, the school officials allowed the public to speak. So clearly there was a call for healing and the matter is being dealt with.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I read both articles. The articles said gang members, some of whom were not students, attacked Black students. But the first article was more than that. There was a big meeting with school district officials, and activist Danny Trejo spoke out. After he said what he said, school administrators were forced to listen to comments from the public.

The second article had students walk out in protest against the violent incident.
I know what the articles said, I am arguing that nothing was selectively quoted or misquoted.

Sure, there was a big meeting afterwards.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:45 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Internet forums have paid right wing trolls who post online in order to make it seem people are much more right wing than they actually are. Do what you must, but if you leave these forums become even more out of balance, and it really would give people a false impression of the attitudes of people in Los Angeles.
How has anything posted in this thread by me or OP been trolling?

Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
How has anything posted in this thread by me or OP been trolling?
Liberals making up lies again.. They think everything is trolling, racist, misoginisct, homophobic, islamaphboic, etc. that's what they say when they have no argument!!

Old 05-14-2016, 01:17 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
The first time Mexicans and African Americans got together, we got a black president," actor Danny Trejo said during the lively discussion. "So, good things can really happen when we get together."

Shouldn't we vote for a President based on how capable we think they should be rather than race ?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The first time Mexicans and African Americans got together, we got a black president," actor Danny Trejo said during the lively discussion. "So, good things can really happen when we get together."

Shouldn't we vote for a President based on how capable we think they should be rather than race ?
Not too long ago, it was understood the President was ALWAYS going to be a white man, not only that it was understood that anyone making over the minimum wage was going to be white.

The fact that we finally had a President who wasn't white, who clearly had a good education and was obviously already successful LONG before he was the President certainly does show that it is POSSIBLE for non whites to achieve success if they study and work hard.

I'm Black and when I was a little boy the only well off Blacks I saw were basketball players,singers, and actors and these aren't good images for kids growing up. I was happy to not only see Barack, but his wife Michelle was successful in her own right (Princeton grad, Harvard law grad, successful lawyer).

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 05-14-2016 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles