Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:29 PM

45 posts, read 41,209 times

Advertisements

Finally made the move to LA at the beginning of this month. Drove cross-country over three days in a UHaul with all my stuff in the back. Very exhausting trip, and don't think I'll ever do anything like that again. A bunch of my things got damaged even after taking precautions.

Prior to my trip I had booked a storage unit on the edge of WeHo and rented out a UPS mailbox within walking distance of that storage facility. Planned on staying in that area so I have quick access to my mail and belongings. As soon as I got here I unloaded all my stuff and went about contacting different listings for dorm-style apartments. With all the ads posted on Craigslist, I wasn't too worried about my chances of finding something.

A lot of the ads either didn't reply back, or were fake, or were not actually located where the ad claimed that they were. I went homeless for one day until someone finally called me back. Ended up being located in East Hollywood, about 2.5 miles from my storage facility. So it's a bit outside of walking distance. It's a month-to-month lease, so I'm not too worried about having to move again to somewhere closer down the road.

Once I met the roommates and got settled into the apartment I started scouting the area for clubs and bars to apply to. I've worked ten years in the restaurant industry and spent the last year working as a barback. Figured the Hollywood area would be best for me given my profession.

I was surprised by the sheer number of places there are just within walking distance. But after researching all those places, I'm finding most all of them are very small and only open 2-3 nights a week. I need more hours and stability, so now I'm looking at restaurants again (I was trying to get out of them entirely and move into nightclubs, lounges or bars).

Except in this area there aren't too many restaurants (think family style dining, stand-alone building, open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner).

I shifted my focus to Universal Studios, and applied at several restaurants there. I'm now looking at North Hollywood to see if that might not be a better fit for me area-wise.

I'm not too worried about landing a job, I came here with $20k in savings and my rent (all bills included) is only $550 so I have time on my side. But if I make the move to NoHo, I'll have to rent a truck to move my belongings to another facility that is closer to me. Even worse still, my UPS mailbox is booked for a full 15 months (they gave me 3 months free after paying for 12 months) so getting my mail and any packages will be really out of my way. I should have paid for a shorter term contract but I had already mapped out the area on Google Drive and was really convinced that this was the ideal area for me.

Do you guys think NoHo might be a better fit for me? I figure I can find another dorm-style place there, and work either at Universal or maybe find a bar or restaurant in the area as well.

Even after all the time and research I put into this move I still feel like I screwed up somewhere. I've been unemployed for 18 days and I'm not used to having this sort of downtime. Feel very idle and unproductive.

Thanks for any feedback...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 04:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Well, the Valley is certainly loaded with restaurants.

One thing about SoCal that a lot of outsiders are misinformed about is that it's a town heavy on nightlife. It isn't. In Hollywood, with the highest density of clubs, they're closed at 2 am or earlier. The entertainment industry starts at daybreak and the surfers are out early too.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, the Valley is certainly loaded with restaurants.

One thing about SoCal that a lot of outsiders are misinformed about is that it's a town heavy on nightlife. It isn't. In Hollywood, with the highest density of clubs, they're closed at 2 am or earlier. The entertainment industry starts at daybreak and the surfers are out early too.
Yeah that's definitely the impression I had going in.

I've been walking downtown every night just to see which places are open and busy during the front half of the week. So far I've only seen Project Los Angeles as being lively Monday and Tuesday. Argyle was busy Monday but closed Tuesday.

Was also looking at the Palladium Theater but they were closed both days. Figured with their size they might have more openings but it looks like they're only hiring for a cleaning crew. I'm not above mopping and cleaning to get my foot in the door, but it only pays around $11 an hour and they're not open every day of the week.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Have you looked in the area on Sunset and Santa Monica Blvds. west of Fairfax? Heavier concentration of clubs in West Hollywood.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:00 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
next time do research BEFORE you pick up and move cross country

Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Next time I'll do it like everyone else and just come here with $500 to my name! I certainly put no thought or preparation into this move whatsoever.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:41 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,948 times
Keep in mind the Metro Red Line can take you from East Hollywood to across the street from Universal Studios. So you could remain where you are, and have a very easy 25min commute.
Attached Thumbnails
Ten days in Hollywood...already thinking about moving to NoHo.-eh-us.png  

Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
That's not really fair, the OP came with 20K in savings, that is impressive. We usually here they have saved up $3 to $5K and when you tell them it's not enough, here comes the attitude. The OP has a cushion, again impressed.

OP, how about two part time gigs for now? I would stay put for now and see if you can find two part time jobs for the time being.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Keep in mind the Metro Red Line can take you from East Hollywood to across the street from Universal Studios. So you could remain where you are, and have a very easy 25min commute.
Thanks, I'm definitely keeping that option open. It was a short hop to Universal on the 101 but I can already see myself getting stuck in traffic if I have to work, say, a 6:00 shift or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's not really fair, the OP came with 20K in savings, that is impressive. We usually here they have saved up $3 to $5K and when you tell them it's not enough, here comes the attitude. The OP has a cushion, again impressed.

OP, how about two part time gigs for now? I would stay put for now and see if you can find two part time jobs for the time being.
Thanks. I'd read enough people on this board that had moved out to Cali with almost no savings and crying for help. I thought I'd done as much research as possible and saved up enough to make my move a success. And while I don't really consider it a failure by any means I'm learning firsthand that you can only learn so much online.

Working two jobs is definitely not something I'm against. I've worked 70-75 hours a week for 3-4 years at a stretch. I live below my means and don't waste money on pointless things so I will definitely do that if it comes to that.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:17 PM

399 posts, read 407,013 times
You can also work in other fields. Why limit your prospects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles