Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:33 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastjohn View Post
Thanks for the response. After some cursory research it seems I should expect to pay about 1800 a month for a 1 bed in the area. That's a pretty hefty chunk of change so I was wondering if it was even worth it. After taxes, rent, and transport expenses it doesn't seem like 120k would allow me to save very much.
OP: If you are making $120,000 in salary then monthly rent of $1,800 is Cheap/Affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 02:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
OP: If you are making $120,000 in salary then monthly rent of $1,800 is Cheap/Affordable.
Rent would be only 21,600 per year.

Which is why some people suspect the OP of trolling.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:37 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
Please just stop OP, 120k a year is good money. Yes one can survive and live comfortably in LA and SoCal with that salary. Especially a single person.
Sure it's expensive but people need to stop acting like one has to be millionaire to live in LA. 120k a year is not bad at all.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:46 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
OP, an income of 120k/yr is just fine in Los Angeles.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Not here to bash LA, I love the city and really want to move there.
Well than do some research, good God when I moved here in 1988 there was no Internet obviously, you actually drove around and wrote down phone numbers, than had to get to a phone(a pay phone), and make a call about the rental. You would spend a Saturday doing this for a few hours, than follow up with a phone call....imagine that....LOL.

You have the ability now to sit in New England and do all the research in no time.

Instead you mention a six figure salary but can't spend an hour or so online and check out rentals, compare your car insurance? Come on already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Rent would be only 21,600 per year.

Which is why some people suspect the OP of trolling.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Please just stop OP, 120k a year is good money. Yes one can survive and live comfortably in LA and SoCal with that salary. Especially a single person.
Sure it's expensive but people need to stop acting like one has to be millionaire to live in LA. 120k a year is not bad at all.
Thank you. Awhile back someone did a thread saying they couldn't live on 60K a year in LA and how hard it was, the longer they went on the truth started to come out. They were divorced and had child support, kid needed braces and their insurance didn't cover that, they had a car note.

Well don't say you're a single person living in LA who can't live on 60K a year, when you're a divorced person with a kid to support and crappy insurance through your job, and next time buy a good used car instead of a new one.

I get tired of people blaming LA for their financial issues. These people would have the same problems whether they were in Denver or Atlanta.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:45 PM

41 posts, read 54,855 times
Thanks all. I asked this question on another forum and got the impression that you can't really "make it" in LA unless you're rich. Seems that's not the case.

And of course I need to do more research. I plan on signing up at Westside rentals if I decide to pull the trigger.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. I asked this question on another forum and got the impression that you can't really "make it" in LA unless you're rich. Seems that's not the case.

And of course I need to do more research. I plan on signing up at Westside rentals if I decide to pull the trigger.
You apparently live in CT, a state known for high taxes and expenses. Have you even visited LA? If you haven't best to visit first before moving.

Do you think LA is made up only of rich people? Perhaps you need to drive around Santa Monica/Vermont(just one example) and take a look.

IDK, I find it odd that someone who can land a six figure job is so "naive" in finding out basic information. Or even has to ask these questions.

I can excuse the 19 year olds we get on here occasionally who have saved up $3,000 and want to move to LA and don't have a car. They're naive, but it is understandable at that age. But someone who can make six figures should be savy enough and be more informed and educated in life.

Your comments sound like someone who watched too much "Beverly Hills 90210".

Old 05-22-2016, 05:11 PM

41 posts, read 54,855 times
I've been to LA plenty.

My original question was not so much "is it possible?" but rather "is it worth it?".

Obviously anyone can do fine on a good salary, but I've never lived in a city like LA before and didn't know what to expect.

CT is expensive but the housing costs aren't quite at Cali levels.

You seem really bothered by my thread so I'll just bow out now.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:51 PM

581 posts, read 920,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
That is a lot of money. You can qualify for an $800,000 loan on $10K a month. With 20% down, that is a million dollar home. You can find lots of great homes at that price.
You haven't been home shopping on the west side for a long time have you?

Old 05-22-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I've been to LA plenty.

My original question was not so much "is it possible?" but rather "is it worth it?".

Obviously anyone can do fine on a good salary, but I've never lived in a city like LA before and didn't know what to expect.

CT is expensive but the housing costs aren't quite at Cali levels.

You seem really bothered by my thread so I'll just bow out now.
I wasn't bothered by your thread until you called it "Cali".....LOL. It's CA or California.

I just don't get why someone who says they have a six figure job doesn't have a basic handle on COL in LA.

Astral Weeks even totatled up the rental you mentioned and it was 21K for the year. You could find a less expensive rental but even you didn't, someone with your salary doesn't need to do that.

Yes, homes are definitely more expensive than CT, but other things aren't. You would for example probably see a reduction in your car insurance.

IDK if it's worth to you or not. Only you know that. There are people(one used to post on here) who seemed to think having a McMansion when they didn't even have any kids was very important. A McMansion in LA or the surrounding area wasn't going to happen, so they left. Other people are happy renting, or getting a condo, or a small house, because we have great weather, and scenery, and lots to do.

I have a known a few people who left Southern CA for TX because having a big house was important to them, a couple of them came back. Again, it's about what is important to the individual.

On your salary as a single guy(once again) could live quite well and still have money left over to invest and save. You could even buy something(although I think people should rent for a year to make sure they want to stay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles