Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,521 times

Advertisements

Writing this from a throwaway account since I am a regular on this forum and I do not want to disclose my finances, even if my original account is still anonymous.

I live in Los Feliz and work in Hollywood. Commute by bus and the red line depending on my mood. Very easy. I use Uber to get around at night. I live in a walkable neighborhood and I get by easily. Two supermarkets nearby. Do not really miss a car that much. Looking for a car to get out of town during the weekends. I normally rent cars, but summer rates are always much more expensive. ZipCar is too expensive for what they offer IMHO. Plus I can move stuff with a car. Uber drivers hate that.

Was looking at used cars, but the market sucks right now. Two year old cars are going for close to new prices. I like late model year cars since I do not have to worry about mechanics.

Was thinking about getting a cheap Kia perhaps (~$15K), but I did not like it when I test drove one. Really like the Mazda that I test drove, but I feel silly paying $18K for a car that will sit idle most of the time.

Here is the kicker: I am not broke, just frugal. I make well over $100K and I have no clue how much money I have in the bank. Must be over $200K. I have been saving up for a house that never happens. Should I stop being stingy and get a better car? I am not a car person, but I understand the difference between the Kia and the Mazda. I might regret the Kia in a year (or maybe not), but the Mazda probably less so. But I rather spend $3000 on 2-3 mega vacations overseas than a car. I guess I do not have LA values! No car and I do not want to show off my money.

I guess this question is more a personal finance question and not a lifestyle question. I grew up poor, but obviously I no longer am. Still maintain that mentality.

Not looking for car model suggestions, more about the price range. Cheap used? Cheap new? Go all out with a really nice car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM

174 posts, read 217,783 times
I would say shell out a few extra thousand for a car that will last you a long time. You can get a fairly new Camry cheap and it can last 20 years or so.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
If you just want a car for the occasional weekend trip out of town, I'd just rent one when I needed it.

If you think it will make your day-to-day life easier and more efficient, then I agree with Bored: pay a little extra for a car that will last.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 PM

174 posts, read 217,783 times
Also, I would suggest definitely getting a used car. Even if it's just 1 year used you can save a lot. I got a 2013 for $18.5k when it was originally over $30 k and its seemed brand new to me..

Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post
Also, I would suggest definitely getting a used car. Even if it's just 1 year used you can save a lot. I got a 2013 for $18.5k when it was originally over $30 k and its seemed brand new to me..
Sadly, not so for a the models I am looking at.

I decided to get a car since I am getting back into some hobbies that require transportation. Getting a hatchback for easy to carry stuff. No good deals on Mazda3s, Golfs, etc...

Does anyone else think it is weird that I have been living in LA without a car?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
I bought a car on Beepi. I recommend it as long as you don't need it immediately. I got a car with 50k miles for about 20% less than local dealerships were selling the same models with 100k miles for

Old 05-26-2016, 12:45 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Native View Post

Does anyone else think it is weird that I have been living in LA without a car?
No. I see many people moving about on bicycles or public transportation every day. At least 50% of people here with cars don't actually need them, but drive nevertheless because it gives them something extra to do in between texts.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It depends on your lifestyle. Many people like being able to go somewhere on a moments notice, in all kinds of weather and at all hours, and a car is a necessity for that type of thing. Others are content to live mostly within certain boundaries and plan excursions ahead of time. People who work in various places, various hours, also need reliable and immediate transportation while others are fine going to one place daily, during set hours, that's on a public transportation route.

It's not weird if it works for you but it sounds like maybe it doesn't always? Don't forget to factor in auto insurance.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Hi OP I know you said you're not looking for models, but under your circumstances...either use rentals on weekends(rates are lower on weekends), or consider a compact import like a Toyota Yaris. 35 mpg, 2010-2013 models go at under 10k, they last forever, it's easy to park due to size, and insurance costs are lower.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:23 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
If you've been fine without a car until now, and you'd just be buying one to move stuff?

I loved the Los Feliz area, tons of restaurants, Gelsons and Albertsons nearby all within walking distance. My wife would take the bus to work, but I drove to Anaheim everyday...that was the killer.

Having at least one car was a necessity because, well I had to get to work., I'm from here and had a lot of friends in the surrounding areas. It sucks owning a car in a place like Los Feliz, but for us it was necessary. I had a used Civic at the time it was around 10k, and I think you could get a 2012+ Civic for around that much now. Those shouldn't break down at all.

You could buy it cash and sell it, a few years later for around the same price. There virtually is no savings on a 1-2 year old car. 3-5 year cars are much better deals and depending on the make not that much worse mechanically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: