Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 497 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a 18 year Brazilian girl and my dream is to go to college in California and become a fashion designer. I would like to know if there's way for me to get a job there, it can be anything, and I have worked in a fashion company before. And I assume that working there as a foreign without a college degree, I wouldn't be able to make a lot of money, so are there safe and cheap places for me to rent an apartment?
Of course, I would focus on studying to get in college as well.
My plan was to go on an exchange program and get a job there. The exchange program is in L.A but it's probably very expensive to live there, so I was thinking of living in a smalltown near L.A. The problem is, I don't think I'll be able to spend more than 4 weeks in California, and I think it's impossible to get a job there during this period of time, not only that but how can I get a working+studying visa? I'm not rich, I'm trying to save money but things are very complicated in my country right now.
I'd like to move out when I'm 20, and I'm going to be on my own. (I have a relative living in Miami if that helps, but I've never met him).
And I just want to make it clear that I do NOT want to live in the USA illegaly, I want to do everything legally.
Sorry for my grammar I'm still learning English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:10 AM

11 posts, read 6,027 times
You need to get a student visa, but your options for employment will be limited and your options for housing even more so.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...and-employment

It would be best to save quite a lot before coming here, as living on campus is expensive and a long commute to school every day isn't feasible.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Sorry, but people cannot come to the US and apply for a work visa, these happen while you are at home. You would apply for a job from Brazil and if the US employer wants you, the employer applies for your visa.

Exchange visas and student visas are expensive, as you must show you can pay for all your living and school expenses. College is very expensive here and you would be paying the highest tuition because you would be a non-resident. You could not rent an apartment without having a good credit history in the US. You must also show substantial ties to Brazil to prove you will have to return there. If you got an exchange visa, you cannot travel, even to Miami. The relative in Miami could not sponsor you, so forget that. You cannot work except on campus for 20 hours or less on a student visa.

It would be better if you got a degree in your country first, then tried to get a work visa. And never do anything illegal; even to overstay 1 day can result in a 3-year ban, and any lies with immigration can result in a lifetime ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles