Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Bogus statement is bogus. Where I live is consistently rated one of the best places to live in America, for both families and young people. Jobs are abundant in both white collar and blue, pay is enough to sustain a very nice lifestyle. Life doesn't begin and end on the coasts...

Just bought a 2,000 square foot house for $200K, very affordable on my $70Kish income. Wife stays home with the kids, we have two cars although one is paid off.
Congrats on your utopia you have found. Unfortunately, people don't prefer a frozen tundra 6 months of the year, or digging in oil fields that will be shut down if oil prices don't hit 100.00. Good for your jobs where you are, but bad for the rest of America and the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Just read this article and was looking at the comments too.
This is a big problem. Also I don't think we can count on so much job growth in the restaurant and others sectors either with the coming $15 hr minimum wage.
Income gap seems like it will continue to grow worse in L.A

Leaders in CA and L.A have for too long have had the arrogant attitude that, "Why do we have to WORK to encourage businesses to operate here?...EVERYONE wants to be here!"
It's backfired.
Even the Bay Area which has similar issues is able to create more high paying jobs.

The brain drain predicted in the article is already in effect.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Congrats on your utopia you have found. Unfortunately, people don't prefer a frozen tundra 6 months of the year, or digging in oil fields that will be shut down if oil prices don't hit 100.00. Good for your jobs where you are, but bad for the rest of America and the world.
Central Iowa is hardly frozen for 6 months, nor does digging in oil fields exist here. This area is known as the insurance capital of the U.S., with many companies HQ'd here. Nationwide, Wells Fargo, and many others have large presence here. Facebook and Microsoft have datacenters, and there is a well regarded college (Drake U) as well. Those who live in the northern suburbs are a ~30 minutes commute to Iowa State, another large employer. For those choosing the hands on blue collar work, a journeyman in most trades makes roughly $35/hr on the check. Not bad when the average home price is around $225K.

My point isn't to prove utopia, it's to disprove your ridiculous statement regarding maintaining a middle class existence in most of America. It simply isn't true, if it were places like this wouldn't be growing like gangbusters (Ankeny, Iowa was 2nd fastest growing city last year).

Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Central Iowa is hardly frozen for 6 months, nor does digging in oil fields exist here. This area is known as the insurance capital of the U.S., with many companies HQ'd here. Nationwide, Wells Fargo, and many others have large presence here. Facebook and Microsoft have datacenters, and there is a well regarded college (Drake U) as well. Those who live in the northern suburbs are a ~30 minutes commute to Iowa State, another large employer. For those choosing the hands on blue collar work, a journeyman in most trades makes roughly $35/hr on the check. Not bad when the average home price is around $225K.

My point isn't to prove utopia, it's to disprove your ridiculous statement regarding maintaining a middle class existence in most of America. It simply isn't true, if it were places like this wouldn't be growing like gangbusters (Ankeny, Iowa was 2nd fastest growing city last year).
There are certainly exceptions to a squeezed middle class (Des Moines, Twin Cities, etc.), but many formerly middle class cities are feeling the pinch now too (Austin, Portland, Raleigh, etc.). At a certain point though, I'm not sure any place can prevent itself from being the victim of its own success. How well a city can adapt to its riches says a lot more than how it gained them in my opinion. I think LA is at a tipping point, hopefully it goes the SF route rather than the Detroit route.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
There are certainly exceptions to a squeezed middle class (Des Moines, Twin Cities, etc.), but many formerly middle class cities are feeling the pinch now too (Austin, Portland, Raleigh, etc.). At a certain point though, I'm not sure any place can prevent itself from being the victim of its own success. How well a city can adapt to its riches says a lot more than how it gained them in my opinion. I think LA is at a tipping point, hopefully it goes the SF route rather than the Detroit route.
Those cities are not feeling the pinch like L.A. is.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Those cities are not feeling the pinch like L.A. is.
They are certainly feeling it, it's just a much more recent issue in those cities compared to LA.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
They are certainly feeling it, it's just a much more recent issue in those cities compared to LA.
Those cities have gotten more expensive but there is no comparison with L.A., S.F., N.Y., or Honolulu.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Read this morning on LA Weekly that LA is one of the 5 metros that is losing the most residents. Yet, your traffic and your housing costs just keep getting less liveable.

What's the math behind less high paying jobs, more people moving out, yet higher costs and greater dis-comfort?
I assume you are talking about this article?

People Are Leaving Los Angeles Over its Cost of Living | L.A. Weekly

I didn't learn a darn thing from this article. It was basically the same vent/rant one hears over and over with no substance.

And that map was flat out wrong. It showed a move from Chicago to LA as being "downsizing to a smaller metro." What?? That shows that not only is some vent/rant, but the facts are flat out wrong.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:18 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Leaders in CA and L.A have for too long have had the arrogant attitude that, "Why do we have to WORK to encourage businesses to operate here?...EVERYONE wants to be here!"
It's backfired.
I could not agree more.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I was a machinist in the heyday of the space race and military spending. A good trade but I always thought kind of low paying. Apparently not compared to whats available today for young people who don't go to college.
We didn't know how good we had it back then! Thanks to the government induced housing bubble, housing is now far out of reach of even middle class let alone the low paying jobs we are talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles