Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 04:22 AM

10 posts, read 10,447 times

Advertisements

Nah, it's not that bad. Admittedly, this is coming from a man's perspective, but I've used the Metro for years and only been mugged once.
Most of the people riding the buses are working class people who need to get from point A to point B. They're harmless people, and most of them will be too tired to bother you.
There will be loud, obnoxious, and disgusting people, but they're relatively few and far between during the day. (It's a different story at night, though.)
You do need to be vigilant when riding the buses, because there is the chance you will be harassed or robbed, but it's not something that happens as often as some of these posters let on. If you are familiar with LA, you probably vigilant already, and you should be prepared to ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:14 AM

8,241 posts, read 6,295,177 times
Its a gun free zone so your a sitting duck.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:54 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,898,208 times
Man checking in.

The sweaty, dangerous, festering Metro system may be rode by women due to equality. But at what cost?

Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,824,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMayoral View Post
Nah, it's not that bad. Admittedly, this is coming from a man's perspective, but I've used the Metro for years and only been mugged once.
Most of the people riding the buses are working class people who need to get from point A to point B. They're harmless people, and most of them will be too tired to bother you.
There will be loud, obnoxious, and disgusting people, but they're relatively few and far between during the day. (It's a different story at night, though.)
You do need to be vigilant when riding the buses, because there is the chance you will be harassed or robbed, but it's not something that happens as often as some of these posters let on. If you are familiar with LA, you probably vigilant already, and you should be prepared to ride.

Only mugged once. See? It's safe.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:55 AM

8,221 posts, read 13,302,159 times
The posts by "christianity" (yes, with a lower c) were quite amusing in an unintentional way.
I also found my IQ getting even lower than its usual level after reading each post.

Kudos to Raven for continuing to reply to his posts like he was a kid from "Make a Wish" Foundation.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times
http://www.dailynews.com/general-new...red-line-train

Weird this news comes out today when the guy died on Sat
Coverup ?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Being attacked on the bus isn't usually something you have to worry about. That's why I was caught by surprise when I actually DID get mugged.
LA is generally a sketchy city, but I know it's nothing compared to what it used to be. Many of the posters here act like it's still the 90s.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times
There is reason to be concerned
Crime is on the rise

Crime in Los Angeles rose in all categories in 2015, LAPD says - LA Times

Just because it's " not as bad as the 90s" people should be ok with it?

Also in the 90s the safer areas like the Westside were actually in reach for more people since prices were a lot lower
Now more people have to live in more dangerous areas especially if they want to buy a property .

Old 06-17-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
There is reason to be concerned
Crime is on the rise

Crime in Los Angeles rose in all categories in 2015, LAPD says - LA Times

Just because it's " not as bad as the 90s" people should be ok with it?

Also in the 90s the safer areas like the Westside were actually in reach for more people since prices were a lot lower
Now more people have to live in more dangerous areas especially if they want to buy a property .
By that, I mean that people exaggerate how dangerous the bus system is. They make it sound like hell when it's really not that different from the neighborhoods which the buses travel though. While she would need to be cautious on a bus that drives though South Central or Skid Row, the 4 drives through better neighborhoods. Even though weirdos will occasionally bother you, they usually won't bother you if you ignore them. This is true even on a bus. Even if people are fighting or selling drugs or openly urinating on the buses, you won't get caught up in the drama if you don't get involved. That's how LA works nowadays.

Even as crime rose slightly, the dangerous areas are much less dangerous than they used to be. The high cost of living that forces middle-class people to move to them also forces the criminals to move. As a Pico-Union native, I've noticed how huge the change was. I can go out at night, and I couldn't do that 10 years ago. Many people in Central LA ghettos moved to South Central, other cities in California, or back to their home countries because the prices went up. Also, the increase in violent crimes (especially homicides) is concentrated in South Central, not the neighborhoods the OP plans to travel though.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:03 AM

537 posts, read 441,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
The posts by "christianity" (yes, with a lower c) were quite amusing in an unintentional way.
I also found my IQ getting even lower than its usual level after reading each post.

Kudos to Raven for continuing to reply to his posts like he was a kid from "Make a Wish" Foundation.
Wonder where you live????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles