Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 05:36 PM

57 posts, read 76,274 times

Advertisements

I feel like you could ask this same question in any other big city forum (NYC, Chicago, SF) and it would be the same mix of answers (too expensive, too crowded, too much traffic, corrupt government, etc). Probably the only way to know for sure is to see for yourself I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I used to like living here a lot more than I do now. I went to a funeral service in Orange County last Saturday, and got caught in traffic both ways. It took me an hour and half to get home (60 west, 101 north at 1:30 p.m.). There's a reason I hardly ever go anywhere! I'm tired of ridiculous drivers who do everything but push pedestrians across the street when the drivers want to turn.

I'm tired of the endless amounts of people wherever I go. Going out to eat? It's like planning a military mission. If we want to eat at 7:00, we have to wait. Even if we make a reservation we have to wait for a few minutes, and some restaurants don't take reservations. (I sound like an entitled brat, don't I?)

My commute has gotten a lot worse. If I move again, it'll be west of the 405, because these days the southbound 405 regularly backs up to Sepulveda on the west 101 by 6:00 a.m. It's terrible. Instead of getting on the 101 at Van Nuys, I often backtrack and get on at Woodman because it's easier.

I'm dreading the summer weather out here in the Valley, although it's still better than being in Redding or in Phoenix or Las Vegas!

I want peace and quiet. I can't afford to have either one until I retire, which is at least seventeen years away. I'm clinging to my job with both hands, because there's no way I could live here without it, and I can't retire at 52. I would certainly outlive my savings!

L.A. is probably more palatable when you're younger. I'm too old to want to be here now, that's all.

As for L.A. vs. New York, New York has the same "big city" problems that L.A. does, though with better transportation and worse weather, but the cost of living in both cities is so high that I wouldn't want to live in either one.
Speaking of traffic and the southbound 405, I almost got ran off a ramp by an aggressive female driver not too long ago. That's why I hardly ever cruise around anymore.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,392 times
it is a city for young ones and immigrants. Most successful ones try to leave LA once they make it.
It has many cons of course, but if it was so bad- then why do people keep wanting to settle here?
it is good for you if you love big city life, noise, lots of people, and pollution. Sure, there are quiet, "cleaner" parts of LA but the homes there are very expensive. If not, then it is NOT the place for you.

Also, there are many bad drivers here. And you get the drivers who are from out of state or not from USA. It is especially annoying when driving behind the out of state drivers or rental cars. They just brake out of nowhere and make huge wide turns.

GET THE BEST AUTO INSURANCE----
just in one week I have seen:

1.) one lady from oncoming traffic swerve into MY LANE ... go against traffic into my adjacent lane,,, just to make a left turn from the road I came from onto oncoming traffic!!!! Thank God no one was killed
2.) Friends truck was stolen.. next day her rental car had a hit and run accident
3.) Hit and run by a car reversing from a parking spot. The damage was ugly and he just drove off ( K town)
4.) one benz making a turn and benz was totaled by an oncoming right of way truck ( sunset/east hollywood) Benz driver severly hurt.
5.) Just two hours ago I saw a car reverse instead of pressing accelerator at a green light... he reversed into the car behind him and wow the car got MESSED UP ( undrivable) this happened at a stop light in Los Feliz/franklin
Pointers:
a.) Road rage is VERY VERY real here. Just by going into another lane even when there is plenty of space, you will get cursed at, tailgated, and get the finger, you may also get bottles/glass/stones thrown at your car. You WILL witness fights and hopefully not a gun!
b.) have fast reflexes and do NOT submitt to the temper of other bad drivers.
c.) estimation on traffic:

1.)East hollywood to echo park or glendale--2.2 miles==40 minutes today departure time at 7:30 PM /weekday
2. Manhattan Beach to K town --20 miles will take you 2- 2.4 hours at 2-3 pm on a Weekday
3.) Culver city to downtown or Los Feliz= 11 miles= 2 hours on a weekday
4.) West LA to hollywood= 6 miles= 1 hour @ 11 am ( GOING EAST on a weekday)
5.) Downtown to Anaheim= 12 pm on a weekday =1 hour
6.) santa monica to pasadena going west 20 miles= 1.5 hours (departure at 8 pm ) on regular workday. 20 mile trip takes 2 hours on a friday (8 pm same time going west)

I have seen many hit and run accidents. There are also a LOT of illegal immigrants who drive without a license who have been in accidents. Also, depending on which area you live in, some people insist on keeping a gun in their home because of their dangerous neighborhood. If you don't live in the dangerous areas, you wont hear gunshots and choppers in the air.

Last edited by mariecallendars; 06-09-2016 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: mileage info

Old 06-09-2016, 07:34 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariecallendars View Post
it is a city for young ones and immigrants. Most successful ones try to leave LA once they make it.
It has many cons of course, but if it was so bad- then why do people keep wanting to settle here?
it is good for you if you love big city life, noise, lots of people, and pollution. Sure, there are quiet, "cleaner" parts of LA but the homes there are very expensive. If not, then it is NOT the place for you.

Also, there are many bad drivers here. And you get the drivers who are from out of state or not from USA. It is especially annoying when driving behind the out of state drivers or rental cars. They just brake out of nowhere and make huge wide turns.

1.) one lady from oncoming traffic swerve into MY LANE ... go against traffic into my adjacent lane,,, just to make a left turn from the road I came from onto oncoming traffic!!!! Thank God no one was killed
2.) Friends truck was stolen.. next day her rental car had a hit and run accident
3.) Hit and run by a car reversing from a parking spot. The damage was ugly and he just drove off ( K town)
4.) one benz making a turn and benz was totaled by an oncoming right of way truck ( sunset/east hollywood) Benz driver severly hurt.
5.) Just two hours ago I saw a car reverse instead of pressing accelerator at a green light... he reversed into the car behind him and wow the car got MESSED UP ( undrivable) this happened at a stop light in Los Feliz/franklin
Pointers:
a.) Road rage is VERY VERY real here. Just by going into another lane even when there is plenty of space, you will get cursed at, tailgated, and get the finger, you may also get bottles/glass/stones thrown at your car. You WILL witness fights and hopefully not a gun!

1.)East hollywood to echo park or glendale--2.2 miles==40 minutes today departure time at 7:30 PM /weekday
2. Manhattan Beach to K town --20 miles will take you 2- 2.4 hours at 2-3 pm on a Weekday
6.) santa monica to pasadena going west 20 miles= 1.5 hours (departure at 8 pm ) on regular workday. 20 mile trip takes 2 hours on a friday (8 pm same time going west)

I have seen many hit and run accidents. There are also a LOT of illegal immigrants who drive without a license who have been in accidents. Also, depending on which area you live in, some people insist on keeping a gun in their home because of their dangerous neighborhood. If you don't live in the dangerous areas, you wont hear gunshots and choppers in the air.

Wow, scary post, but filled with good information. Thanks!

BTW, I am being meticulous in my new job search as I aim to start off in Culver City, and applying for jobs with a 10 mile radius - but mostly focused on employers within that immediate 5 mile radius.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:

Pointers:

Illegal immigrants can get driver license's here now.
There's been a boom in driver's licenses issued to immigrants here illegally - LA Times

Although I'm pretty sure less illegal immigrants have drivers licenses versus non illegal immigrants.
Also if they do get in an accident it seems to make sense that they would be more likely to hit and run because they are illegal immigrants.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:57 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
LA is the hit and run capital of the states, also has the most poverty.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
I was rear ended and my car totaled by a illegal and he had no insurance. That seems to be the norm too.

When you drive in LA it's not if you get in car accident it's when...

I also agree road rage is very real thing here I feel it myself sometimes but never act out. LA people have a lot of anger look at some of the posts on this LA forum compared to say Phoenix or even Orange county..

I also agree with LA being a young town. Most people retire and move away or burn out or can't make it here. Sometimes I see old people walk around LA and they look like zombies like LA has sucked out there soul or something.

Also parking is a whole other nightmare. You can't park in many areas without paying either the meter or a valet. You pay so much in rent and gas and then have to pay to park your car. I seriously don't know how people survive economically there. I live in OC and I'd never ever live in LA.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:41 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,988 times
LA is a tough city. It's easier if you're wealthy, but even then...

Old 06-09-2016, 12:05 PM

198 posts, read 211,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSORD93 View Post
I feel like you could ask this same question in any other big city forum (NYC, Chicago, SF) and it would be the same mix of answers (too expensive, too crowded, too much traffic, corrupt government, etc). Probably the only way to know for sure is to see for yourself I guess.

That was my point....did not see the sarcasm as it is all true. The one good thing is great food from all over the world.
Too crowded being biggest issue.....

Old 06-09-2016, 04:50 PM

850 posts, read 796,254 times
Quote:

Pointers:

Traffic is horrible and people are stressed thus it no wonder people in LA can be hostile. Overall I would pick NY because its a centralized city and public transit is great. Having a car with gas and insurance costs more than the transit pass in NY or chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles