Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:57 AM

266 posts, read 319,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
It was hard to get used to this city when I moved here back in 2013 but I've adjusted, eventually made tons of friends, built my career, and learned to love my life here.

The city is what you make of it - and I love native Angelinos! I think they're super friendly and totally are NOT like the stereotype (though the transplants kinda are....)
What industry are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 11:02 AM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
I hate to add to this thread but this seems like a good place to ask a question that is somewhat related.

I've often thought of moving to LA from Alabama because I've visited 3-4 times and liked it. I've also had some job opportunities there.

But there's that cost of living factor. I've looked at the cost of living estimators and supposedly $100,000 in Birmingham Alabama is $151,525 in Los Angeles, Long Beach. I find this hard to believe. Maybe it is for home ownership. But for renting an apartment, I don't see it. I've browsed apartment listings before and I've done all my math and I can't see where these estimators are coming from.

So my question is: For those that moved to LA from elsewhere, was the cost of living as advertised? $100,000 equals $150,000. Or $50,000 is the equivalent of $75,000?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
believe it.....

Old 06-20-2016, 11:20 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
taxes are also higher, close to 10% on all income over $50k if I remeber correctly. Sales tax is also around 9%. I'm sure car insurance is also more expensive. Add all that up on top of housing and I'm sure the $50k can be justified pretty easily.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
So my question is: For those that moved to LA from elsewhere, was the cost of living as advertised? $100,000 equals $150,000. Or $50,000 is the equivalent of $75,000?
Yes it was.

Housing is significantly more expensive but that's an obvious component. It's the little things like vehicle registration fees, car insurance, renters insurance, gas prices, parking, state income tax, sales tax, that quietly add up.

I came from Milwaukee, owned a brand new luxury condo downtown on the river. Now I'm in a small apartment where the rent is 2x my mortgage. So my 20% increase in income was a moot point and I'm actually down in disposable income. I did my research, so it wasn't a surprise, but I had the same thought of "it can't be". It is.

Last edited by adr3naline; 06-20-2016 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 12:56 PM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Thanks for the comments.

I guess for me it will always be a nice place to visit.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:29 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Yes CA is a great place to visit. Lots to see and do

Old 06-20-2016, 08:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Yes it was.

Housing is significantly more expensive but that's an obvious component. It's the little things like vehicle registration fees, car insurance, renters insurance, gas prices, parking, state income tax, sales tax, that quietly add up.

I came from Milwaukee, owned a brand new luxury condo downtown on the river. Now I'm in a small apartment where the rent is 2x my mortgage. So my 20% increase in income was a moot point and I'm actually down in disposable income. I did my research, so it wasn't a surprise, but I had the same thought of "it can't be". It is.
Yeah , L.A isn't a great place to move if one is just focused on getting ahead financially. If someone is coming from a city with a more normal cost of living it will be pretty tough.
I think the only people that would think it's cheap is someone coming from NYC or SF.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,713 times
I was born in Santa Monica, CA - Lived in California all my life. (63 yrs) We have extremely high taxes and I hate having to cover the cost for the people coming here from other countries especially when we are struggling. California is a Liberal state but there are a few of us old timers still left that lean to the right. I guess many do not mind paying the high taxes...??? We have charities we give to and believe in but I do not like helping people who do not want to help themselves and just take...take...take...and expect it. Got a real problem with that. It serves no purpose and does not get people out of the cycle.

Crime is getting worse in Los Angeles which is another issue that the LEFT refuses to address.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I was born in Santa Monica, CA - Lived in California all my life. (63 yrs) We have extremely high taxes and I hate having to cover the cost for the people coming here from other countries especially when we are struggling. California is a Liberal state but there are a few of us old timers still left that lean to the right. I guess many do not mind paying the high taxes...??? We have charities we give to and believe in but I do not like helping people who do not want to help themselves and just take...take...take...and expect it. Got a real problem with that. It serves no purpose and does not get people out of the cycle.

Crime is getting worse in Los Angeles which is another issue that the LEFT refuses to address.
Part of the problem is that we have a Mayor in L.A that thinks the criminals are the victims..

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...ons_for_their/

He thinks we should THANK criminals for their service..

I think even if someone is liberal they should find that attitude alarming.

Crime is also up due to Prop 47
An explosion of California property crimes

Being soft on crime turned out to be a bad idea.

In addition to property crimes, violent crimes are also on the rise , way up.

Murders in Compton (not part of city of L.A..but in L.A County) have TRIPLED
Killings in Compton have tripled this year, rattling nerves and testing a key anti-crime initiative - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles