Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:50 AM

317 posts, read 401,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
lets talk politics i bet there stories will change. since we have the highest gas prices highest taxes other than NY that i can think of and the **** poor goverment i could go on but
This is where I break it to you.

LA has high taxes and cost of living, yes. But it is still substantially cheaper than NYC.

What does NYC have? As far as entertainment and things to do in the city, everything you would want in a city.

What does LA have? Well, it has everything NYC has.

What does NYC and the surrounding area have for things to do? Snowboarding, some hiking and some mediocre beaches.

What does LA have besides its normal city things? Hiking, beaches, scenery, year round great weather. And that's within the city, something NYC cannot touch

Now step outside of LA and what more can you do? Go to the desert, go snowboarding, theme parks, forests, big sur, Vegas.

Point is, LA is cheaper than NYC yet has so much more, within the city and things to do a few hours away. All that and it's less expensive. Although not by much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 02:30 PM

928 posts, read 1,702,611 times
I absolutely love living in Los Angeles with all of my heart and soul.

I was born and raised here (city proper) and 9 years away served as a painful life lesson in appreciating what you've got.

I absolutely love that it's impossible to be bored unless you're boring; there are great, cheap comedy shows every night; there's great cheap food on every corner; there's great expensive food on fewer corners, but it's still plentiful; the Pacific Ocean is on your left; there's a great deal of cultural diversity (the best part of cultural diversity is food diversity!); obviously the weather is perfect; it's beautiful in some places, ugly in others; it's easy to find like-minded people if you're liberal; there are cool, weird bars everywhere; and one thing I really like about being here and no one gaf what you think. a pleasant departure from more traditional parts of the country.

There are cons, though, #1 being whiny-ass transplants.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:05 PM

8,241 posts, read 6,292,552 times
The nearest drag strip is in Fontana 65 miles away.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:37 AM

114 posts, read 133,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
Very good description....and the city has no soul ......I worry everyday that my child has to drive the freeways here...hoping eventually she will move back to the east coast....with me, when she gets fed up enough.....
No soul? Could you elaborate on this? Is it because everyone is driving? Is the culture underwhelming?

Old 06-30-2016, 08:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
No soul? Could you elaborate on this? Is it because everyone is driving? Is the culture underwhelming?
Translation: The poster is not succeeding here so they attempt to talk crap about LA at every opportunity.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Translation: The poster is not succeeding here so they attempt to talk crap about LA at every opportunity.
Don't be so sure. How about let folks have their opinions.

Even people that succeed may not be happy.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,809,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
This is where I break it to you.

LA has high taxes and cost of living, yes. But it is still substantially cheaper than NYC.

What does NYC have? As far as entertainment and things to do in the city, everything you would want in a city.

What does LA have? Well, it has everything NYC has.

What does NYC and the surrounding area have for things to do? Snowboarding, some hiking and some mediocre beaches.

What does LA have besides its normal city things? Hiking, beaches, scenery, year round great weather. And that's within the city, something NYC cannot touch

Now step outside of LA and what more can you do? Go to the desert, go snowboarding, theme parks, forests, big sur, Vegas.

Point is, LA is cheaper than NYC yet has so much more, within the city and things to do a few hours away. All that and it's less expensive. Although not by much.
LA is not substantially cheaper than NYC. In fact it's not necessarily cheaper at all, there's a different difference between prices in both regions. Just as Santa Monica costs a lot more than Pasadena, the inverse is true, the Bronx costs a lot more than lower Manhattan. As a grad student in NYC, I pay $650 a month for a room in Upper Manhattan.

NYC does have beaches within city limit (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx are all parts of NYC proper and one can hoke or bike within those parks). Of course the weather is not good all year around.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:22 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,294,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
For me it's the Weather, the Water and the Work. The weather isn't perfect, but it's close. I have some 5 year old coats that I've worn maybe a dozen times total. And the cars don't rust. I have an 11 year old Porsche that looks like the day it was made. That wouldn't happen back in Ohio where I'm from. I'm a sailor. There are very few places where you can sail in the ocean and not have to deal with floods, hurricanes or bugs the size of dogs. Lastly, I'm a real estate appraiser. L.A.'s obsession with real estate has allowed my business to flourish and provided me with a very nice lifestyle. This would only be possible in a handful of places. I don't commute, I pick the times to hit the freeway. And, I own my home, so the COL doesn't bother me much. For someone who showed up here at 23 with $ 600, L.A. has been very good to me.
The weather in the LA area is only perfect for people who like warm, sunny weather almost all the time. For folks who like four real seasons and marked seasonal shifts, the weather is not optimal; for many, it can be downright boring and monotonous. 85 degree Christmas days are not unheard of in the LA area, which is kind of weird, in my opinion.

I was born and raised in So. Cal (and still live here), and one of my perpetual complaints about So. Cal is that summer lasts far too long here; it's basically 8-9 months of summer-like weather, with the remaining months of mixture of cool, warm, cloudy, clear, and rain here and there. Four seasons would be nice.

Plus, the traffic is atrocious all over, the cost of living high, and the urban congestion stifling.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:29 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,294,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariecallendars View Post
it is a city for young ones and immigrants. Most successful ones try to leave LA once they make it.
It has many cons of course, but if it was so bad- then why do people keep wanting to settle here?
it is good for you if you love big city life, noise, lots of people, and pollution. Sure, there are quiet, "cleaner" parts of LA but the homes there are very expensive. If not, then it is NOT the place for you.

Also, there are many bad drivers here. And you get the drivers who are from out of state or not from USA. It is especially annoying when driving behind the out of state drivers or rental cars. They just brake out of nowhere and make huge wide turns.

GET THE BEST AUTO INSURANCE----
just in one week I have seen:

1.) one lady from oncoming traffic swerve into MY LANE ... go against traffic into my adjacent lane,,, just to make a left turn from the road I came from onto oncoming traffic!!!! Thank God no one was killed
2.) Friends truck was stolen.. next day her rental car had a hit and run accident
3.) Hit and run by a car reversing from a parking spot. The damage was ugly and he just drove off ( K town)
4.) one benz making a turn and benz was totaled by an oncoming right of way truck ( sunset/east hollywood) Benz driver severly hurt.
5.) Just two hours ago I saw a car reverse instead of pressing accelerator at a green light... he reversed into the car behind him and wow the car got MESSED UP ( undrivable) this happened at a stop light in Los Feliz/franklin
Pointers:
a.) Road rage is VERY VERY real here. Just by going into another lane even when there is plenty of space, you will get cursed at, tailgated, and get the finger, you may also get bottles/glass/stones thrown at your car. You WILL witness fights and hopefully not a gun!
b.) have fast reflexes and do NOT submitt to the temper of other bad drivers.
c.) estimation on traffic:

1.)East hollywood to echo park or glendale--2.2 miles==40 minutes today departure time at 7:30 PM /weekday
2. Manhattan Beach to K town --20 miles will take you 2- 2.4 hours at 2-3 pm on a Weekday
3.) Culver city to downtown or Los Feliz= 11 miles= 2 hours on a weekday
4.) West LA to hollywood= 6 miles= 1 hour @ 11 am ( GOING EAST on a weekday)
5.) Downtown to Anaheim= 12 pm on a weekday =1 hour
6.) santa monica to pasadena going west 20 miles= 1.5 hours (departure at 8 pm ) on regular workday. 20 mile trip takes 2 hours on a friday (8 pm same time going west)

I have seen many hit and run accidents. There are also a LOT of illegal immigrants who drive without a license who have been in accidents. Also, depending on which area you live in, some people insist on keeping a gun in their home because of their dangerous neighborhood. If you don't live in the dangerous areas, you wont hear gunshots and choppers in the air.
Do you have statistics that show that most successful people leave LA once they 'make it'?

Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,842,842 times
When I was a kid I really enjoyed living in L.A,and i'm sure a lot of people still enjoy living in L.A today despite the high cost of living,traffic,crowds,smog,etc.

L.A is a city with so much opportunities,lifestyles and has so much things to see and do for all ages and types...Yup the city still does have it's problems,but as times goes by things are improving for the city.

L.A may have it's problems,but it still is one of the greatest cities in the country and the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles