Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 11:36 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article where a developer mentioned they like the "City West" neighborhood and they think it's going to be the next Echo Park

In addition to the Valley, the company is particularly interested in City West.
“We think that area of the city is going to be the next Echo Park,” Weller said.
Last month, Lion sold two Arts District warehouses at 2014-2020 and 2028 East 7th Street for $14.9 million, or three times what it paid for them just three years ago.
link: Lion Real Estate | Jeff Weller | 5919 Reseda Boulevard

I have never heard of city west, so I looked it up and apparently it's a name these developers or brokers are using to describe Pico-Union.
Funny how people can just come up with 'new' names for neighborhoods or part of neighborhoods randomly because they don't want their properties to be associate with possibly negative connotations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_West,_Los_Angeles

I doubt there is an 'official' sign designating a neighborhood as 'city west'.

Pico-Union has a pretty negative reputation, but that is the actual name for that area at least for over a decade.

I guess saying "I live in Pico-Union" = Ghetto
but saying "I live in City West!" = Hipster/Yuppie

I guess there's probably people dumb enough with geography or that just moved to L.A that might not realize City West is actually Pico-Union?...

Also it's a lot of nerve to call it "West" since it's not anywhere near the Westside of the city of Los Angeles.

Also for fun, which areas of the city would you like to rename to make them sound more fancy. What would you call them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
It's west of "something." Lol.

Van Nuys - VaNu
Pacoima - Pac City
Huntington Park - HuPa
South Gate - SoGa
Canoga Park - CaPa
San Fernando - SaFe
Inglewood - iWood
Carson - CaSo
Boyle Heights - City East
Skid Row - Downtown Center

Old 06-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Lol . Garcetti should officially change the names right now , then the whole city can be hipster like Silverlake .
I'm sure he could do it just like brought Football to L.A
Lol

Mayor Garcetti's Awkward, Dishonest Super Bowl Tweets

Old 06-10-2016, 11:59 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lol . Garcetti should officially change the names right now , then the whole city can be hipster like Silverlake .
I'm sure he could do it just like brought Football to L.A
Lol

Mayor Garcetti's Awkward, Dishonest Super Bowl Tweets
He should. He'll also need to change the names of the neighborhoods surrounding Inglewood so that tourists feel safe there.

Hawthorne: Haw Town
Lawndale - LaDa
Crenshaw - Cren Village
Vermont Square - Little New England

Old 06-10-2016, 12:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
The term's been around since 2011 to describe downtown west of the 110. It's new to me, though.

Downtown's 1111 Wilshire Will Break Ground in April - Curbed LA

Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
I've never heard of City West. Another marketing tactic to try to get naive, young people to move into an area that looks like a third world country and has a fair amount of gang activity.

I get it if someone can't afford anywhere else and has to live in Pico-Union. But it's amazing how stupid some people are paying these astronomical rents for some of these newer buildings in bad areas because they are lured by deceptive marketing. It's appalling how little research some people do before they decide to plunk all that cash into housing in marginal areas.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:22 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
I find nothing wrong with calling it Pico-Union.
Changing the name is like putting lipstick on a pig.
I think it's great if the area would improve, but the name is fine as is.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:37 PM

“We’re excited to be bringing all these residences to the City West neighborhood. It has the potential to become one of the strongest residential neighborhoods for Downtown,” Warren said. “The project provides an opportunity for people to live close to the energy of Downtown without being in the middle of the action, if you will.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/n...a4bcf887a.html

Interesting way to spin a neighborhood that isn't desirable to make it seem more desirable..

Old 06-10-2016, 02:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's real estate terms. They rename areas to change the perception and sometimes it works when a place in being gentrified and new people move in. Sometimes it falls flat and the few people who insist on using whatever fancy word for a place are forever mocked.

SoDoSoPa and Shi Tpa Town from South Park is a rip on this trend.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
The westward march of the skyscraper wall ... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... run!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles