Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times

Advertisements

Good Read:
Successful Buildings For A Better City – Streetsblog Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 PM

Blump

Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
What is the name of your development company?

Bob.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Is this Measure S only for city of LA or whole LA county? If only for City of LA, what is going on with rest of LA county in regards to building for more density like in places such as Norwalk, or Hawaiian Gardens?

Old 03-04-2017, 01:11 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,389,513 times
Measure S is only for LA City. I dont know all the cities, but I do follow some construction forums and also visit some cities. Long Beach, Pasadena, Culver City, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Glendale, Alhambra, has had a lot of of denser development with mixed up 4-7 floors or small high rises near the main streets/commercial areas/downtown. I know of a little bit of development in Monrovia, Arcadia, Azusa mainly because of the new metro Gold Line you can see it.

Inglewood city, because of the new NFL stadium is building a huge complex with shops, offices and lots of homes.

I dont know what is going on in the other areas mainly because the people who take any interest in development dont necessarily go to other areas to see what new development is going on. Best way to figure it out, is do a google maps view and see of large construction projects. Easy to spot. I think you can change the year, but often these projects take over 1 year to get done.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
Dont have one. Just fascinated by architecture. Not particularly interested in becomming an architect. Mostly into animation. But did take a class.
Mostly just take photos of streets and buildings.

I always like to try and capture city life.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:07 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is this Measure S only for city of LA or whole LA county? If only for City of LA, what is going on with rest of LA county in regards to building for more density like in places such as Norwalk, or Hawaiian Gardens?
I found this site to be pretty interesting since it shows new homes being built across the U.S that are available for sale but it seems to be mostly for single family ,small lot homes or townhouses .
I saw it even had listings for new places in NYC . Insane prices .
https://www.newhomesource.com/commun...lts/market-213

I did see there was a community in Norwalk listed.

https://www.newhomesource.com

Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
Hey Bob. Forgive me if I am wrong but don't you own quite a few rental units?

If that is the case then the passage of measure S could be quite a boon to a guy like you.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:30 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
OP: Thanks for the link. That was a fascinating read.

I recall what the late urbanist William Whyte commented on about the popularity of Disneyland. People drive thousands of miles to visit Disneyland, then park their cars amidst an ocean of asphalt to then pay to walk compact, pedestrian-oriented streets with shops designed to encourage interaction and generate social activity. Such a perversion of good urbanism has been obvious for decades....

I wish LA could take a page from that architect's blog and try something like that.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:11 AM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Hey Bob. Forgive me if I am wrong but don't you own quite a few rental units?

If that is the case then the passage of measure S could be quite a boon to a guy like you.
As far as my rental business goes, "S" won't have any effect on me.
The reason being, I have always charged below market rent, even though I could get much more.
All my properties are in desirable locations, and I have never felt I needed to charge an arm and a leg for people to have a nice place to live.

Many of the properties are paid off , so raising the rent is not necessary.
I am about as opposite as one could get from a greedy landlord.
I have had tenants stay in my properties 12 years or more, and still paying the same rent they paid when they moved in.
When I do have a vacancy(which is not very often) it isn't for very long.

I could pass the cost of improvements to the properties on to the tenants(and there have been many, at great expense) and never have.

So,a yes vote on "S" means a lull in the new development going on in this city, and that is a good thing.
I sure hope it passes, so we can finally get the development under control.

My property management business has run like clock work for many years, and I expect it will remain that way, regardless of how the voting goes.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles