Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"3405 Plata looked me in the eye and said, "Ain't nobody dope as me. I'm dressed so fresh, so clean (So fresh and so clean clean). " Then Plata put its arm around me and said, "You see, some people might call me a Silver Lake Bungalow, but not me. I'm a Silver Lake BANG-ALOW! Because I got so much going on, it's like BANG! Look at my floors! Makes you want to strap on your roller skates, put in that 8-track and glide through my two bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, into my impeccable kitchen and outside into my outdoor space with drought tolerant landscaping. Then find your path on my climbing wall and once you've worked up a sweat, we can hit my studio, step into the vocal booth and sing the song that makes the whole world sing. Whatever you want to do, I'm here for you! Got an electric car? I got a 2 EV Car Charger. Want to stay cool? My mini ductless HVAC system keeps you ice-cold. Looking for a home to love? Well, you're looking for me. I'm 3405 Plata. Can't wait to meet you. "

I think I threw up a little bit while reading it..
It's so off putting to see RE agents put up these gimmicky house descriptions in areas like Silver Lake / Echo Park / Highland Park and other gentrifying neighborhoods and get away with people paying for these places. If I was a prospective buyer, seeing an agent do something so amateurish would be a huge turn off. They're just putting out the bait and people are just latching on. I don't know it's stupidity/ignorance/trying to be cool or if they just really want to be in a house in an area close to their work and don't mind paying extra to be a marginal area.

It's funny how a neighborhood gets hyped and then people want to live there so badly that they'll overpay to live in a dumpy area with gang activity in that part of Silver Lake and nearby areas such as Virgil Village and adjacent areas south of the 101. It's not like this is by the reservoir or the hills of Silver Lake that are much nicer. I can at least understand some of the higher values there.

As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of decent places in the Valley where you can get a fair amount of house and some backyard for $500-600K.

Different strokes for different folks I guess ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:25 PM

25 posts, read 19,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"3405 Plata looked me in the eye and said, "Ain't nobody dope as me. I'm dressed so fresh, so clean (So fresh and so clean clean). " Then Plata put its arm around me and said, "You see, some people might call me a Silver Lake Bungalow, but not me. I'm a Silver Lake BANG-ALOW! Because I got so much going on, it's like BANG! Look at my floors! Makes you want to strap on your roller skates, put in that 8-track and glide through my two bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, into my impeccable kitchen and outside into my outdoor space with drought tolerant landscaping. Then find your path on my climbing wall and once you've worked up a sweat, we can hit my studio, step into the vocal booth and sing the song that makes the whole world sing. Whatever you want to do, I'm here for you! Got an electric car? I got a 2 EV Car Charger. Want to stay cool? My mini ductless HVAC system keeps you ice-cold. Looking for a home to love? Well, you're looking for me. I'm 3405 Plata. Can't wait to meet you. "

I think I threw up a little bit while reading it..
That was tremendous.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
It's so off putting to see RE agents put up these gimmicky house descriptions in areas like Silver Lake / Echo Park / Highland Park and other gentrifying neighborhoods and get away with people paying for these places. If I was a prospective buyer, seeing an agent do something so amateurish would be a huge turn off. They're just putting out the bait and people are just latching on. I don't know it's stupidity/ignorance/trying to be cool or if they just really want to be in a house in an area close to their work and don't mind paying extra to be a marginal area.

It's funny how a neighborhood gets hyped and then people want to live there so badly that they'll overpay to live in a dumpy area with gang activity in that part of Silver Lake and nearby areas such as Virgil Village and adjacent areas south of the 101. It's not like this is by the reservoir or the hills of Silver Lake that are much nicer. I can at least understand some of the higher values there.

As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of decent places in the Valley where you can get a fair amount of house and some backyard for $500-600K.

When you have bidding wars on every property on the market and several buyers willing to pay way over asking then you can be assured buyers know what they are doing. You cant believe that every single person making offers is swayed by stupid listing. When I bought my place recently I didnt read any listing, listen to any sales pitches from agents. I did my own research on market, neighborhood, comparable property etc

Old 06-15-2016, 03:26 PM

25 posts, read 19,431 times
Quote:

There's a specific demographic they're targeting. And it's not people looking to buy in the Valley.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
it looks like some smart person flipped that house. I love how they called the back yard a "outdoor space" because it ISN'T a back yard. I noticed it doesn't have central air either. It's cute for 1 or 2 people to live there at the most but ridiculous price (of course)

Old 06-15-2016, 04:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:

Yeah it would be interesting to know who will be moving into the house. I could see the argument for paying a certain price to live near work, but a lot of these hipster types that can afford homes like this don't seem to have regular 9-5 type jobs that they have to drive to every day.
Silverlake/Echo park tself isn't really known for being a big job center for highly paid jobs. Downtown L.A yeah and possibly hollywood..but if one wants a place without a yard you could find a nice DTLA or hollywood condo or loft for less than that right?..
I doubt the person buying it is working within the immediate (walking distance ) of that house.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:30 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MoneyPenny View Post
There's a specific demographic they're targeting. And it's not people looking to buy in the Valley.
True, I agree that most people who want to live to Silver Lake are not interested to live in the Valley.

Although it's obvious from the listing that the agent is targeting a specific demographic, it just seems cheesy nonetheless. I'm sure some people just brush marketing gimmicks aside and do their research to see what appears to be fair value in the neighborhood based on comp sales while looking at crime stats, school district info, etc.

It just seems that there is a contingent of people who want to live in Silver Lake / Echo Park because it's "cool" or "en vogue" even if that means overpaying. When you look at some of the phony marketing tactics and sometimes misleading/inaccurate descriptions meant to lure some of these folks, it's just laughable. More power to the developers and flippers I guess.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
it looks like some smart person flipped that house. I love how they called the back yard a "outdoor space" because it ISN'T a back yard. I noticed it doesn't have central air either. It's cute for 1 or 2 people to live there at the most but ridiculous price (of course)
I don't think selling it 7 years after you buy it constitutes "flipping"

Also the previous owner paid $333,000 in 2009 not $179k. But still a decent profit

Old 06-15-2016, 04:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
True, I agree that most people who want to live to Silver Lake are not interested to live in the Valley.

Although it's obvious from the listing that the agent is targeting a specific demographic, it just seems cheesy nonetheless. I'm sure some people just brush marketing gimmicks aside and do their research to see what appears to be fair value in the neighborhood based on comp sales while looking at crime stats, school district info, etc.

It just seems that there is a contingent of people who want to live in Silver Lake / Echo Park because it's "cool" or "en vogue" even if that means overpaying. When you look at some of the phony marketing tactics and sometimes misleading/inaccurate descriptions meant to lure some of these folks, it's just laughable. More power to the developers and flippers I guess.
Yeah for sure there is a certain type of demographic attracted to areas like Silver Lake / Echo Park.
It's kind of like with clothes, some people like a certain brand and will pay whatever the price is for that brand.

Another clothing brand might have just as good quality..but it doesn't have that label or brand on it. So they won't wear it.
Same with neighborhoods.

The reality is if everyone started saying some neighborhood that is now not hip is hip. and they kept talking about it on LA Times, Curbed L.A , etc then people would want to live there.

Lot's of neighborhoods considered gentrified or hipster are still pretty run down. Echo park, parts of Silverlake, Downtown L.A (still home to Skid Row),etc.
Nonetheless people will pay top dollar for that 'brand'.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 PM

242 posts, read 432,894 times
This is insane. We just purchased a 3,200 sq foot home in one of the best DFW burbs with top quality schools and near zero crime for $375,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles