Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live Chicago or Los Angeles
to the point 28 80.00%
long answers 8 22.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 AM

174 posts, read 516,710 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Chicago. I never had any reason to go there, but I get a little tired of people praising the weather in LA. Most of these people seem to be from the Westside where ocean breezes keep things moderate - try venturing over to the other side of the 405 freeway during the months of August and September. It's hellish, and the pollution only makes matters worse.

Personally, I'd like to live in San Francisco, but it's too expensive for me to move there. SF has a much better climate, more public transportation, and friendlier people. It's pleasant on the eyes and healthier. Restaurant choices? - oh yes. I just need to have a rich relative check out and leave me something.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
It come down to one thing: the weather. LA, hands down.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM

87 posts, read 411,251 times
Ya Chicago is nice but LOS angeles is ten times better. I have a buddy who lives in oak park il right near downtown chitown its nice and all but man march at night there is pretty cold i couldnt stand that cold crap.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
I'm an L.A. native but I used to live in and near Chicago for 6 years (and most of my family live back there). I love Chicago AND L.A. they both have there good and bad points. Chicago - IMO - is far more beautiful and pedestrian friendly... the people are awesome, great sports town (anyone ever been to Wrigley field?), the jazz/blues roots... it's a great city (the weather is the best in the fall). I could go on forever.

L.A. though, is the only place that's ever really felt like "home" to me. Even with all it's issues, it has so much to offer. I love the people - quirky, crazy, conservative, moderate, liberal, Mexican, white, black, Vietnamese, Iranian, Armenian - it adds another dimension (but of course, I'm not talking about the dumb a$$es of L.A. - gangbangers and such).

Just my two cents.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
First, the generality: I grew up in one and lived in the other, and didn't like either. Nothing against either city in particular. I just don't like the crowds in any big city.

Second, the question is much too general. Areas within each city are radically different, and would shape your opinion. For example, in "Chicago", I lived in Darien, and shot pool in South Chicago. In "LA", I grew up in the projects in Wilmington, but years later lived in Palisades Highlands. Trust me, it's WHERE you live in each city.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
They are both expensive and they both have jobs and they both have traffic and they both have all the negatives and positives of huge cities. LA has some of the best weather in the world and the diverse landscapes.

LA by a mile. Not even close. Not sure why this poll was created.
As you stated.

Now; in defense of Chi-town, if the weather were Climate Zone 8 or higher, factoring into better water supplies, etc.------it would be a toss up between it and LA

Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
L.A has a greater Variety/Diversity in practically everything and better weather too.

I do like Chicago much more than NYC though

Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 AM

396 posts, read 1,723,867 times
this seems like a really random, pointless poll.

but i choose la.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:34 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlblackman View Post
LA is like bran cereal. Once you get past the nuts and flakes, all you have left is a crusty bowl...

Chicago over LA hands-down. I lived in both for over twenty-years. La for first 24 and Chicago for the balance. Like the person says above, Chicago is on the upswing. Besides, you can always buy another layer of clothing for those few days of -0 Chicago gets every year and you know weather is coming in advance. Whereas there is no clothing to prepare you for "Earthquake Season...".
Technically, there is no "Earthquake Season," so one would not know what to wear for it.

And instead of bundling up on those -0 degree days, I would rather ride my bike wearing a T-shirt on the many 70 degree (or higher) days L.A. has during the winter.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Cze

9 posts, read 29,537 times
Default Chi-sizzle for sure!

Hey I'm from Chi-town and one thing I miss is downtown Chicago. It is and must be the best downtown in any city in the U.S. The architecture is really inspiring as well as the culture and arts. In Chicago you get everything from super reliable transportation (no need to spend money on gas for your car) to a true-to-the-heart city life.

L.A. is cool for what it offers (beaches, mountains, weather), but since I am a Chicago native, and serious the cold weather, snow and all doesn't bother -- it's CHICAGO 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles