Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live Chicago or Los Angeles
to the point 28 80.00%
long answers 8 22.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
How come when people compare NYC to LA they talk about the cities themselves, but with Chicago the only thing people bring up is the weather?
I think people do mention how crappy NY WX is too.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Chicago already has palm trees due to global warming. I'm going to winter in Door County, Wisconsin in January.
that's a very disingenuous statement - chicago does not in any way have a suitable climate for year-round palm trees, regardless of the effects of global warming. the handful of palm trees in the city are planted there at the beginning of the summer to create a tropical vacation-like atmosphere (especially for summer beachgoers at lake michigan), but then have to be removed once the season ends and the temperatures drop.

the palm trees are a gimmick and are in no way indicative of chicago's year-round climate. it gets way too cold in chicago (and anywhere else in the midwest) during the wintertime for palm trees to survive year-round.

Quote:
People live happily in winter climates all over the world - Skandinavia to Asia to New York - and you'll realize quickly if you ever spend time in a winter climate that most enjoy it and don't think much about it. Your blood does adjust if you give it time.
i think you're overstating your point by saying that "most" enjoy winter climates. it would probably be more accurate to say most people living in winter climates put up with those conditions because they have to, while a small minority (such as yourself, apparently) genuinely enjoy those conditions.

Quote:
Oh... You again. I've already disproven your false beliefs about seasons, kid.
charles is a middle-aged man, not a kid.

Quote:
I'm enjoying a beautiful fall as we speak. Anyway, I'd choose your first pic with the snow. I get that other pic half the year. Prefer to mix it up - also gives a lot more variety to my wardrobe options. Many people I knew were eagerly counting the days until it was cool enough to bundle up in sweaters.
i like autumn in the cold weather areas of the country, too, and can even tolerate the beginning of winter, largely due to the festive holiday atmosphere in the major northern cities. but after that, winter in the north becomes utterly painful - months on end of bitter cold (which is exacerbated by the wind chill factor), steel gray skies, snow/sleet/freezing rain, and slippery roads and sidewalks.

the conditions during wintertime are bad enough as it is, but what makes things worse is their duration. theoretically, if "four seasons" meant only two weeks each year of extreme winter temps/snow/gray skies and extreme summer humidity/thunderstorms/mosquitoes, then i might be able to live with it. but that's just not how it works.

of course, there are some people who genuinely love northern winters, but let's not try to claim that "most" people feel that way. for every individual who likes those conditions, there are probably 100 (or maybe 1000) others who'd take a coastal california winter anyday.

i'd bet if you polled the residents of the nation's cold weather cities, most would rate the winter climate as being pretty low on their list of the city's top amenities. cities like chicago and nyc and boston are great in spite of the weather, not because of it.

Quote:
How come when people compare NYC to LA they talk about the cities themselves, but with Chicago the only thing people bring up is the weather?
lots of people bring up nyc's lousy weather when comparing it against LA. i'm an nyc native and absolutely despise the winters and the oppressively humid summers.

Quote:
I've known people who've moved from Chicago to LA and found the SoCal weather lacking compared to its reputation.
a few friends and acquaintances who didn't like southern california's weather do not in any way constitute a statistically significant sample size.

i also know people who claim that chicago and nyc are lousy food towns - but does that make it true just because they said so?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I guess there's always 2%. I suppose if you're content sitting inside for six months watching TV and you don't have to drive and you don't mind $400 monthly heating bills, it's OK.
Problem here is that you're making judgments based on a lack of awareness of what's beyond your direct experience. Very American of you, but not very accurate.

If you honestly think that's what people do in winter climates, then all I can say is you need to travel more and stop judging what you don't understand. Even if you remove the fact that Chicago is a major city that keeps its roads and sidewalks pretty darn clear (just visit the Magnificent Mile during the Christmas season to observe all those people hiding away ), people spend a lot of time downhill skiing, cross country skiing, snowshoing, hiking, ice skating, playing hockey, sledding ... and probably spend more time outdoors than a lot who hide away in the oppressively hot southern summers.

Old people are weakened and move to warm places because of those weaknesses. Not exactly a winning argument for its superiority to have the weakest of the population congregating somewhere. It's fine that you hate seasons and prefer LA for taht reason, but stop making up false facts (2%? Where did you even get that?!?) and please stop perpetuating the stereotype that colder climates are full of miserable people. Just visit Denver, Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, New York, Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, or any other vibrant northern city (not even touching Europe) before commenting again.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

i think you're overstating your point by saying that "most" enjoy winter climates. it would probably be more accurate to say most people living in winter climates put up with those conditions because they have to, while a small minority (such as yourself, apparently) genuinely enjoy those conditions.
That's the myth of the southwest - that everybody simply endures seasons, and yet I run into people over and over and over again who embrace them and do not merely endure.

Quote:
charles is a middle-aged man, not a kid.
I wasn't referring to his age.

Quote:
i like autumn in the cold weather areas of the country, too, and can even tolerate the beginning of winter, largely due to the festive holiday atmosphere in the major northern cities. but after that, winter in the north becomes utterly painful - months on end of bitter cold (which is exacerbated by the wind chill factor), steel gray skies, snow/sleet/freezing rain, and slippery roads and sidewalks.
Great. Glad you found a place you enjoy. Please stop judging everybody else who enjoys more variety and vibrancy in their weather. As a wise man once said:

Quote:
a few friends and acquaintances who didn't like southern california's weather do not in any way constitute a statistically significant sample size.
And I didn't say they didn't like the weather - just that it wasn't nearly as warm or comfortable as the myth-makers allege. They could never sit outside at night it was so chilly in LA and it gets dark so early much of the year. They were merely disappointed that they had been deceived.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
people spend a lot of time downhill skiing, cross country skiing, snowshoing, hiking, ice skating, playing hockey, sledding ...
I think it really depends on what "a lot" means.

Cold weather is a huge obstacle "a lot" of people would prefer not to deal with. Cloudy weather takes away a lot of the pleasure being outside provides.

No denying those are activities enjoyed in cold climates but there is a lot of overhead associated with them versus simply walking out your front door, turning your MP3 player on, grabbing a basketball, and shooting hoops.
In colder climates, it is a whole "production" to go outside and do something in winter.

I lived near Colorado Springs, elevation 7300 for two years, then Huntsville, AL for two years. Winters in those places are not fun. Cold, icy, windy, gray, rainy, dead trees, dead lawns, dead everything. Unless you go through the hassle of wearing gloves, your hands are always cold. And, if you have kids, the stress of winter is exponentially greater as those kids are stuck inside a lot and don't have as many options to release energy - so you the parent become their lightening rod.

Not just the capability to do things year round in Southern California, but the whole visual environment is pleasing to experience: green trees, flowers, green lawns, sprinklers, no dirty snow, no SAD, fresh air from open windows, outdoor pools open all year, visible skin, cars stay clean, outdoor cafes, convertibles, cyclists, and cheerful sun - all in February and March and January and December, etc.

I love mowing my lawn in January.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
L.A. No contest.

Weird Cousin He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named lives in Chicago.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Weather is a big deal for a lot of people! There is a reason we have a boatload of snowbirds in the Coachella Valley during 'season' (winter). Most license plates are from somewhere north or east of us where it snows during winter. If you're into cold and snow, great. If not, that's okay too. nothing to get into fights or arguments about. It's like that whole tomato, tomahto thing. LOL

Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
For the love of God, close this n00b thread *now*.

The OP hasn't even responded. Just making bait posts for the sake of controversy.
I would pick L.A. hands down and I live in Chicago, but i hate urban environments and do not care about art, culture or architecture. The only thing I look forward to in Chicago is eating at certain restaurants. It is not a horrible city. But I love the sun, beautiful scenery and going to real dance clubs where people like to dance and just sit around watching a sports game at a bar like they do here. I love L.A because I actually want to do more things then just eat at restaurants. L.A is great because it is perfect mixture of outdoor activities with great weather and city life. Most cities and including Chicago are one sided and is great if you are only into urban living environment. But I love a mixture of both since i love to be active and have things to do and that is what makes L.A so desirable to me.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:35 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
That's the myth of the southwest - that everybody simply endures seasons, and yet I run into people over and over and over again who embrace them and do not merely endure.
i think you're being intellectually dishonest about the proportion of folks who legitimately embrace and enjoy extreme winter weather. sure, there are some people who feel that way, but if you polled a really large sample size (i'm talking about tens or hundreds of thousands of people), which one do you think is going to win out - the ones who prefer mild-to-warm winters or the ones who prefer cold and snowy ones?

no question there are individuals who prefer "true" winters, but i really find it hard to believe that most people wouldn't choose a sunny, dry, comfortable climate over a cold, windy, snowy one.

Quote:
I wasn't referring to his age.
no need to attack the guy, he's just sharing his opinion the way you and i are.

Quote:
Great. Glad you found a place you enjoy.
why thank you!

Quote:
Please stop judging everybody else who enjoys more variety and vibrancy in their weather.
i never judged anybody here about their preferences or interests. i merely feel that it's disingenuous of you to suggest that "most" people enjoy the harsh winter climates of the north when there's a lot of anecdotal and migration data that suggests otherwise.

Quote:
And I didn't say they didn't like the weather - just that it wasn't nearly as warm or comfortable as the myth-makers allege. They could never sit outside at night it was so chilly in LA and it gets dark so early much of the year. They were merely disappointed that they had been deceived.
fair enough, although i'll bet a majority of people in southern california would disagree with your friends.

and btw, since LA is at a lower latitude than chicago, the days are actually longer in the wintertime. sure, there's less daylight during the summer, but that's hardly "much of the year".

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I'll take "Chicago in February" for $100, Alex...

Something to be said for having 4 distinct seasons; LA weather is pleasant enough, but monotonous in the extreme..

Of course, my background of north central NY, northern VT, eastern MA and southern WI might have something to do with all this..

No one who has lived in these areas hides in a bunker for 6 months watching "Judge Judy" reruns; life doesn't come to a standstill...

Last edited by MassVt; 12-01-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles