Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

L.A. apartment owners charged with evicting tenants, then renting their units via Airbnb - LA Times

I wonder if L.A's next move will be to basically ban rentals on Airbnb, which NYC recently did.
People won't be able to advetise a day for less than 30 days , which I would think would be 99% of the stays on Airbnb on L.A or NYC

It's About To Be Illegal To Advertise Entire Apartments On Airbnb: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:35 PM

266 posts, read 319,740 times
It all comes down to who's getting paid; allocation of resources and wealth.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Geez poor tenants. Greed knows no bounds.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Obviously, it is illegal to evict a tenant just to put the unit on Air BnB. However, under LA rent control, should a tenant voluntarily vacate, the owner is free to re-rent at any price or leave it empty if he wants. I don't see the problem with putting voluntarily vacated units on Air BnB. as long as the owner has followed the rent control laws, the building does belong to him, after all. As for the lack of affordable housing, that's not an individual owner's responsibility.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:01 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
The NY senate is oblivious to the procedures of AirBnB, making their decision foolish and embarrassing. Their main concern - an evolving door of occupants - can be addressed and IS CURRENTLY being addressed by amendments to apartment/HOA bylaws. My condo HOA received authority from it's owners to make the amendment, and my apartment had me sign an extra document outlawing such rental activity.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
The NY senate is oblivious to the procedures of AirBnB, making their decision foolish and embarrassing. Their main concern - an evolving door of occupants - can be addressed and IS CURRENTLY being addressed by amendments to apartment/HOA bylaws. My condo HOA received authority from it's owners to make the amendment, and my apartment had me sign an extra document outlawing such rental activity.
Yeah I could see the downside of Airbnb or short term rentals
but on the other hand one could point to the huge economic benefit of airbnb visitors to a city like NYC or anywhere really.
Tourist/visitors are known to spend a lot more per day in the local economy versus locals.
They are going out to eat, watching shows, shopping. They are spending a lot of money.

It will be interesting to see the effect to the local economy without people being able to use Airbnb.

In NYC it's a different story of course since people are renting out condos or apartment units versus single family homes.

In L.A there are a lot of single family homes , but of course single family homes don't fall under rent control .

If they banned apartment units from being rented out on Airbnb in L.A...rents on single family houses for rent on Airbnb would probably rise due to demand.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Obviously, it is illegal to evict a tenant just to put the unit on Air BnB. However, under LA rent control, should a tenant voluntarily vacate, the owner is free to re-rent at any price or leave it empty if he wants. I don't see the problem with putting voluntarily vacated units on Air BnB. as long as the owner has followed the rent control laws, the building does belong to him, after all. As for the lack of affordable housing, that's not an individual owner's responsibility.
Personally I think rent control should just be done away with.
It's gotten to the point where some rent control tenants think they can stay forever and ever.

I was watching this documentary about gentrification in San Francisco due to the high tech industry.
There were these tenants talking about how the greedy landlords want to kick them out to make room for the rich white techies.
The one young guy said his family got a letter in the mail telling them they would have a year to move and it was a check for thousands of dollars and he just laughed about it saying it was an insult.

But in reality, if the tables were turned, would those same people really keep someone in a property they owned for 1/2 the market rent ?

If they had a car to sell or another item would they sell it to someone for 1/2 the market price just to cut them some slack? no way!

Old 06-20-2016, 03:23 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I could see the downside of Airbnb or short term rentals
but on the other hand one could point to the huge economic benefit of airbnb visitors to a city like NYC or anywhere really.
Tourist/visitors are known to spend a lot more per day in the local economy versus locals.
They are going out to eat, watching shows, shopping. They are spending a lot of money.
Don't get me wrong, I love AirBnB...I just have a NIMB approach to it (Not In My Building) .

Before moving to LA, I exclusively AirBnb'd while visiting. The money I saved by not going to a hotel was definitely spent out on the town. The hosts would usually share why they chose to AirBnb, and the answer was almost always the same: "Just looking to make ends meet". An extra $500/mo from just three nights out of the month? You can't blame 'em.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love AirBnB...I just have a NIMB approach to it (Not In My Building) .

Before moving to LA, I exclusively AirBnb'd while visiting. The money I saved by not going to a hotel was definitely spent out on the town. The hosts would usually share why they chose to AirBnb, and the answer was almost always the same: "Just looking to make ends meet". An extra $500/mo from just three nights out of the month? You can't blame 'em.
Yeah I hear you. I've actually never rented a place on Airbnb before. I could see other tenants in a building being pissed about it if the people are loud or annoying, even if not I could see people getting annoyed with random people coming in and out of the building.

I think it would be best if landlords were upfront about it with the other tenants somehow.
Actually having some units in a building available on a short term basis could be nice for visiting relatives or friends.
Lot's of people might have a place that is too small to have guests stay over ..or they don't really want guests staying in their unit so being able to rent a unit in the same building..maybe at a discount.. short term could be a benefit and get tenants to be on board with the idea versus it being some kind of hush hush type thing.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
L.A. apartment owners charged with evicting tenants, then renting their units via Airbnb - LA Times

I wonder if L.A's next move will be to basically ban rentals on Airbnb, which NYC recently did.
People won't be able to advetise a day for less than 30 days , which I would think would be 99% of the stays on Airbnb on L.A or NYC

It's About To Be Illegal To Advertise Entire Apartments On Airbnb: Gothamist
If so, it would be a shame.

The 2 cities are completely different. NYC has urban density, extensive mass transit, and is pedestrian friendly. It's just easier to navigate; I also never have problem finding a hotel room there, which is saying something. I've never been tempted to book on Airbnb there because it's just unnecessary.

In LA, however, the number of good (clean affordable) hotels isn't adequate for the number of tourists who flock there. A car rental is mandatory. And many an unsuspecting visitor has lost whole days on the freeway because they booked a great hotel deal in Burbank, but wanted to (for example) spend time Malibu and the Getty and/or the 3rd St. Promenade.

I book Airbnb almost exclusively when I visit friends and family in LA because I haaaaaate the hotel options that are convenient to the east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles