Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 PM

19 posts, read 35,505 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are looking into moving to Alhambra or Monterey Park sometime next year. I work in Culver City.

Is anyone doing a commute like this? Currently we live in West Hills (near Woodland Hills) and my drive home is about an hour (leaving CC at 5pm), which I can live with.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 02:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,633,947 times
I commuted from San Gabriel to Culver City (Fox Hills) for a few years. I can't say I liked it much. You've got to contend with the 10 FWY on both sides of DTLA, and the return home can be especially dismal. Bad weather and traffic accidents can really delay things. Some evenings it took me two hours to get home. I tried various routes involving surface streets, but there just isn't an easy way to do it. In the Winter, I would sometimes leave home in the dark and return in the dark -- talk about depressing!

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but it just isn't much fun. Before moving, you might want to try driving out that way a few times during your usual commute time. Maybe head over to a restaurant near your potential new home to get a real feel for what it's like. If you don't commute during peak hours or you're able to work at home some days, it may be bearable. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM

Thank you, I appreciate your response; I definitely plan to do a test run of the commute around the times I'd be driving.

Does anyone else have any experience with this commute?

Old 06-30-2016, 11:08 AM

908 posts, read 1,302,469 times
I don't have experience with the commute but based on Google Maps data assuming you leave for work between 6-8 am and return between 5-6pm, that's going to at least be a 1 hour commute. The 10 freeway is just such a mess.

Out of curiosity, are you moving to Alhambra/Monterey Park for personal reasons or with the thinking of reducing your commute? Commute wise, I can't see much of difference whether you live in West Hills or Alhambra/Monterey Park.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM

Thanks! Google Maps' estimates of the commute have been about an hour or so. I am hoping that's accurate, because its estimates of my current commute are pretty spot-on (it usually guesses an hour and it's usually right).

It is for personal reasons; my wife grew up in the SGV and we each have family and friends that live there (or are closer to us if we move east). We'd also like to be in a good school district, since our first-born will be attending school in a few years.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:24 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Why not just live near work so you don't contribute to the commute traffic problem?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
assuming you leave for work between 6-8 am and return between 5-6pm, that's going to at least be a 1 hour commute.
At the very minimum, especially going with traffic both ways at the height of rush hour.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:41 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,971,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Why not just live near work so you don't contribute to the commute traffic problem?
I don't understand why people say this in a place like LA with high housing costs. You're not always gonna be able to live close to work here.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:05 PM

242 posts, read 432,863 times
I did Alhambra to Venice Beach and didn't mind it at all. I don't mind long commutes as long as you have something to listen to. I used to listen to KLSX but now listen to podcasts and such.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
I did Alhambra to Venice Beach and didn't mind it at all. I don't mind long commutes as long as you have something to listen to. I used to listen to KLSX but now listen to podcasts and such.
Yup; I don't mind driving, I have a good playlist and when I tire of that I listen to books on CD. I find ways to make the commute tolerable.

The truth is my wife currently has a 1.5-2 hour commute (to downtown), and she _hates_ driving. Moving to the SGV would shorten her commute considerably. I have no problem making my commute longer to make her happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles