Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

NPR article on this topic

On LA's Skid Row, Homeless Women Seek Shelter From The Streets : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:51 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I have never seen a attractive homeless bum. Their all the other extreme.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,969 times
I have a question, why is it so hard for the Los Angeles City Council to move their little behinds and sell off lots to realestate developers? It's about time they clean up that sewer, imagine how much money can be generated and given back to the city. There is a reason why Downtown LA has never really gotten anywhere, and it's because of the homeless population in Skid Row. No investor wants to put their money into an area adjacent to another area that looks like some Ugandan squatter camp, folks.

Why is it such a hardship for these people to clean it up?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:33 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
they feel comfortable and like safe....
So do I, which is why I don't want mentally imbalanced weirdos living around me.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Sad, not surprised at all, you import a bunch of strung out drug addicts that are mentally ill and offer them care packages............guess what........things go bad quickly.

A lot of them need warehousing........they are crazy/violent and can't function in society as we see.

Their rights are greater than the rights of societies' safety which is very wrong.

The ACLU doesn't care because they hire lawyers from rich areas for example the situation in Laguna Beach ACLU lawsuit. The ACLU lawyer lived in Newport Beach on Spyglass where there are no homeless he doesn't care that Laguna Beach is affected because he is from Newport Beach.

Really sad for those women, and not surprised at all.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy Pelican View Post
I have a question, why is it so hard for the Los Angeles City Council to move their little behinds and sell off lots to realestate developers? It's about time they clean up that sewer, imagine how much money can be generated and given back to the city. There is a reason why Downtown LA has never really gotten anywhere, and it's because of the homeless population in Skid Row. No investor wants to put their money into an area adjacent to another area that looks like some Ugandan squatter camp, folks.

It's not that the City doesn't want to move their behinds , it's that they are actively supporting and encouraging the status quo.
No doubt if they got rid of the SROs and stopped letting people loiter or sleep on the streets the place would be developed with money from around the world very quickly .
There is a big special interest group in LA called the " homeless advocates " they advocate basically for the homeless to do as they please on the streets even if that infringes all the livability of quality of life for others

Crime is way up in LA and even LAPD has admitted the homeless are a big reason .
Like I always say , I don't have anything against the homeless but when they start being disruptive or causing problems I think they should be treated just like anyone else .

Old 07-02-2016, 02:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy Pelican View Post

It really looks like Uganda

Old 07-03-2016, 07:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It's not that the City doesn't want to move their behinds , it's that they are actively supporting and encouraging the status quo.
No doubt if they got rid of the SROs and stopped letting people loiter or sleep on the streets the place would be developed with money from around the world very quickly .
There is a big special interest group in LA called the " homeless advocates " they advocate basically for the homeless to do as they please on the streets even if that infringes all the livability of quality of life for others

Crime is way up in LA and even LAPD has admitted the homeless are a big reason .
Like I always say , I don't have anything against the homeless but when they start being disruptive or causing problems I think they should be treated just like anyone else .
You do realize that the city would be sued big time if they just rounded up those people and put them in warehouses.

NYC has even more homeless than LA, however the NYPD and the city council don't let them congregate, and the shelters are scattered around the city. SROS could be built in other parts of the county or region, in exchange for CLOSING most of the SROs downtown (this way scattering them around the region).

In fact policy might change if the rich areas where many of the lawyers, judges, and city council members live had SROs and those people had to deal with them.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
I was in Bogota, Colombia, a fairly big city. It doesn't have homelessness on the scale of a LA or a NYC.

There's economic problems up on this as well. Of course there are cultural issues as well.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:43 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Sad, not surprised at all, you import a bunch of strung out drug addicts that are mentally ill and offer them care packages............guess what........things go bad quickly.

A lot of them need warehousing........they are crazy/violent and can't function in society as we see.

Their rights are greater than the rights of societies' safety which is very wrong.

The ACLU doesn't care because they hire lawyers from rich areas for example the situation in Laguna Beach ACLU lawsuit. The ACLU lawyer lived in Newport Beach on Spyglass where there are no homeless he doesn't care that Laguna Beach is affected because he is from Newport Beach.

Really sad for those women, and not surprised at all.
^^This. ACLU Newport lawyer, barf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles