Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,165 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that there's been some confusion.

Walk ability means how close you are to shops, restaurants etc.

It does not mean how walkable your neighborhood is to take an evening stroll or walking Fido.

So for instance, some of the more walkable neighborhoods in LA area are Old Town Pasadena, Downtown LA, North of Montana in Santa Monica, Belmont Shores. All these areas have residences very close to a large number of restaurants and stores.

Most traditionally suburban neighborhoods have little walk ability. You almost always will need a car to get to shops and restaurants and entertainment options. Examples of traditional suburbs are West Covina, north ridge, Valencia, Upland, etc. These cities have few, if any, walkable neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 11:02 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

It does not mean how walkable your neighborhood is to take an evening stroll or walking Fido.

So for instance, some of the more walkable neighborhoods in LA area are Old Town Pasadena, Downtown LA, North of Montana in Santa Monica, Belmont Shores. All these areas have residences very close to a large number of restaurants and stores.

Most traditionally suburban neighborhoods have little walk ability. You almost always will need a car to get to shops and restaurants and entertainment options. Examples of traditional suburbs are West Covina, north ridge, Valencia, Upland, etc. These cities have few, if any, walkable neighborhoods.
So you don't consider how difficult or easy it is to walk to be a factor in walkability? Plenty of neighborhoods outside california are close to destinations but those destinations aren't easy to access for a variety of reasons. For example lack of sidewalks or lack of places to even cross the street. To me those types of issues factor into walkability big time.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:09 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,227 times
Quote:

I live in Upland which has many walkable neighborhoods. It is an older city which is not typical suburbia.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:49 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Did someone ask for a definition of walkability and I missed it?

Old 07-03-2016, 10:38 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
Upland has an Old Town area and it's walkable. West Covina and Northridge both have walkable neighborhoods. It just depends on where you live. Upland and West Covina aren't super-new suburbs.

Valencia -- yeah. Valencia isn't that walkable.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:49 PM

387 posts, read 511,666 times
Downtown Riverside and Downtown San Bernardino both have great walkability as well. Public transportation to LA, historic downtowns, and dense development for U.S standards outside the East Coast.

Palm Springs thrives on holidays like this coming up.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:54 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
I live in a very walkable area, Warner Center in Woodland Hills. Three malls & all kinds of shops and restaurants within walking distance. I can be at the door of the AMC theater in 9 minutes walking.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
So you don't consider how difficult or easy it is to walk to be a factor in walkability? Plenty of neighborhoods outside california are close to destinations but those destinations aren't easy to access for a variety of reasons. For example lack of sidewalks or lack of places to even cross the street. To me those types of issues factor into walkability big time.
Agreed.

"Truly walkable communities...include many attributes: a mix of uses, frequent street connections and pedestrian links, timeless ways of designing and placing buildings. They create desirable places to spend time in, to meet others."
Walkable Communities

Old 07-04-2016, 10:11 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:

You make it more confusing when you make "walkability" two words, it's one.

You can go to NY and Chicago and you will find suburbs where you also need a car to drive to shops and restaurants, and areas that you don't.

Just like here.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:24 PM

601 posts, read 755,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You make it more confusing when you make "walkability" two words, it's one.
THANK YOU this was bothering me, haha.

IMO I think a lot of you (including OP) still have the wrong idea..."walkability" doesn't just mean walkable access to restaurants and entertainment, as many of you have mentioned. It means walkable for most every aspect of daily life. Groceries, post office, home goods/needs, public spaces, and access to public transit to get to work (Unfortunately, in LA that one is often more dependent on your office location than your living location) It means relying on cars as little as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles