Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 3,670 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

In a few months, I and my SO are taking a trip to Los Angeles!

I would appreciate some advice from you all about the key things to do while we are there since we are only there for three days.

I definite on the list is Disneyland, and I am thinking about the Santa Monica pier! But, besides that, I am clueless. We are flying into LAX, so I have to get a rental car, too. I am nervous about how much parking will be and how available it will be throughout the city and other venues.

As for hotels you recommend, I want something with a view and a hotel everyone in Los Angeles or nearby loves - maybe even a staple hotel!

If you have any restaurants that you recommend that are LA staples, that would be great, too!

Finally, are there any events/venues, theme parks, fun attractions, etc you recommend? Are the LA tours worth it? Things like that. I want to get a full LA experience for the time we have!

You guys rock; thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 03:35 PM

908 posts, read 1,291,237 times
As far as places to stay, I'd look for hotels in West Hollywood, Beverly Hills or further west in Santa Monica as these are where the nicest hotels are. It all depends on what your budget is, but some of the nicest hotels are Four Seasons (2 locations), Montage, Loews in Santa Monica. You've also got some nice hotels in and around the Sunset Strip such the Mondrian, Andaz, and the London West Hollywood. If you are in and around West Hollywood, it's good from the standpoint that there's a lot of nightlife and restaurants within walking distance.

Attractions

Getty Museum
Getty Villa
LACMA
Universal Studios (if you really want to go to another theme park)
Huntington Library/Gardens (a little out of the way in Pasadena ... maybe for another trip)

FYI, Disneyland will be a full day activity so that's going to cut into some of your overall time.

Activities / Places to Hang Out
Santa Monica Promenade and Pier
Griffith Park (good for a morning hike and city views)
Driving up Malibu (you would do this if you go to Getty Villa)

I'd personally avoid those Hollywood tours. If you're really curious about Hollywood, I'd just swing by the area briefly if you want to see what it's all about.

For nightlife, I'd go to bars in West Hollywood or if you're curious to see downtown LA, take an Uber down there and check out a place like The Edison or Seven Grand.

Restaurants

There are so many good places across all different types of cuisines, that I won't suggest anything specific. Jonathan Gold's 101 best restaurants is a good starting point. Although, if you've never had Inn-N-Out, I'd try that for lunch or a late night snack one day if convenient.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:37 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,754,479 times
Catalina Island

Old 07-04-2016, 05:47 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTravel View Post

I definite on the list is Disneyland,
Since you only have 3 days, Disneyland is a waste of time unless you are travelling with someone who is about 8 years old. If Disneyland is on your must do list you might be better off flying into SNA instead of LAX.

Here is a 3 day plan from a previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
For 3 days I might have one day near the ocean, one day at the museums near USC & also hit Griffith Park and downtown, and one day in Pasadena(Norton Simon)/San Marino(Huntington Gardens)/San Gabriel Valley(for the Asian food).

Old 07-04-2016, 06:39 PM

103 posts, read 111,400 times
the grove, farmers market, Hollywood sign, venice beach, rodeo dr outlets. youtube things to do in la

Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,127,315 times
rodeo drive, Hollywood/Highland is fun for tourists. I'd take a tour to see the famous sights. The TMZ tour is good. Santa Monica is fun to walk around. Disneyland is very expensive but a good time if you like amusement parks

Old 07-04-2016, 09:48 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,669,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTravel View Post
As for hotels you recommend, I want something with a view and a hotel everyone in Los Angeles or nearby loves - maybe even a staple hotel!
What is your budget?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:14 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,782,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
rodeo drive, Hollywood/Highland is fun for tourists. I'd take a tour to see the famous sights. The TMZ tour is good. Santa Monica is fun to walk around. Disneyland is very expensive but a good time if you like amusement parks
Fun if you're a hayseed from Nebraska

Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
As far as places to stay, I'd look for hotels in West Hollywood, Beverly Hills or further west in Santa Monica as these are where the nicest hotels are. It all depends on what your budget is, but some of the nicest hotels are Four Seasons (2 locations), Montage, Loews in Santa Monica. You've also got some nice hotels in and around the Sunset Strip such the Mondrian, Andaz, and the London West Hollywood. If you are in and around West Hollywood, it's good from the standpoint that there's a lot of nightlife and restaurants within walking distance.

Attractions

Getty Museum
Getty Villa
LACMA
Universal Studios (if you really want to go to another theme park)
Huntington Library/Gardens (a little out of the way in Pasadena ... maybe for another trip)

FYI, Disneyland will be a full day activity so that's going to cut into some of your overall time.

Activities / Places to Hang Out
Santa Monica Promenade and Pier
Griffith Park (good for a morning hike and city views)
Driving up Malibu (you would do this if you go to Getty Villa)

I'd personally avoid those Hollywood tours. If you're really curious about Hollywood, I'd just swing by the area briefly if you want to see what it's all about.

For nightlife, I'd go to bars in West Hollywood or if you're curious to see downtown LA, take an Uber down there and check out a place like The Edison or Seven Grand.

Restaurants

There are so many good places across all different types of cuisines, that I won't suggest anything specific. Jonathan Gold's 101 best restaurants is a good starting point. Although, if you've never had Inn-N-Out, I'd try that for lunch or a late night snack one day if convenient.
Thank you so much! I am wanting to stay in Downtown LA, but travel to some of the places you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Catalina Island
If this is not too far from Downtown LA and not too expensive, I think it would be excellent. Nice hotels around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Since you only have 3 days, Disneyland is a waste of time unless you are travelling with someone who is about 8 years old. If Disneyland is on your must do list you might be better off flying into SNA instead of LAX.

Here is a 3 day plan from a previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoj36 View Post
the grove, farmers market, Hollywood sign, venice beach, rodeo dr outlets. youtube things to do in la
Consider me 8 years old; it is a must. You are right, I did hear flying into SNA was a good idea. However, I think it would be more of an experience to stay in Downtown LA, which makes it easier flying into LAX. But, we will have to travel down and up. Depends on pricing really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Fun if you're a hayseed from Nebraska
Yes, I do like amusement parks! I have been hearing a lot of negatives about the tours. A drive-around may suffice, but definitely something to consider.

You guys are absolutely fantastic.

- Hayseed from Nebraska

Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,782,397 times
Downtown has come a long way but it's still not like the downtown area of other cities. If I had two days (since Disneyland will take an entire day with travel), I would take some of the other suggestions given here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles