Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Did you try to time the market ? I'm sure those that sold in 2007 or so and waited to buy again in 2009 were very happy they did .
Maybe waiting until bad news or the data starts showing prices dropping is a good strategy .
People were still buying when homes were going down in price but homes were sitting on the market a lot longer than now .
Not if they bought between 1990 and 2002. Prices in 2009 were still above those years in most places. Sure, you cash out and pocket, but then buy back in at higher prices than your original cost with higher property taxes than you originally had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
What I just read the bank of China is doing may cause property to go down a bit.

A lot of Chinese fled China with illegal money and now the BOC is going after them starting in Vancouver BC, look it up. They are starting to foreclose on homes in BC.

How do you think some of these Chinese millionaires are buying for cash when they just arrive........some of them with stolen money from Chinese banks.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:00 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
The story repeats again. I have a friend who was in a roommate living situation paying 800 a month, she decided to but a 750k house and her monthly outflow is around 5-6k. Disregarding tax benefits, that's about 10k a year vs 65k a year. She is in a carreer that ranges in the 100-150k, maybe she is in the upper end and can sorta afford it, but that's really just 1 layoff away from a possible lower wage.

There is a huge demand in housing in LA simply because all the hip cats are moving here to live the YOLO city life. Give it a few years when people realized its really unstainable to be living in a 2k single or sharing a 2bd for 1500. Food that once cost under 10 have all been hipsterfy to cost 15-20. Beer for under 7?? Rare. No- starbucks coffee range from 4-8. The big corporations are leaving the area , the movie industry are moving from the area. Tech has supposedly come in, but who knows. Startup bubble mania... most will die off soon.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:09 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
Hey this thread got me thinking about % of foreign ownership.

Some places like Mexico along the coast, foreign nationals/nonMexican citizens cannot OWN property, you can only lease it. It's written into the law.

How would Los Angeles real estate change, if suddenly every wealthy Chinese, Russian mafia, and Sheik Yourbooti was DISPOSSESSED of their real estate holdings, and only valid US citizens and legal Resident Aliens were allowed to own property? They could still RENT, but legally they could not own...

Old 07-06-2016, 02:11 PM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
Not a direct correlation to LA, but inventory has surged about 25% in the Denver metro area. Similar thing is happening in Seattle and Portland (we all share the same problem in these "hot" markets).

Prices are high because no one is selling. Because no one is selling, no one is able to upgrade to a level up home. Now that the median home price has started to level off, people are more willing to sell. I think a lot of the people that bought before the bubble have been waiting for prices to come back up so they do not have to deal with their losses, and they want to see how high the market will go. Once inventory goes back to normal, and the market becomes more fluid at all price points, things should calm down.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:57 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Hey this thread got me thinking about % of foreign ownership.

Some places like Mexico along the coast, foreign nationals/nonMexican citizens cannot OWN property, you can only lease it. It's written into the law.

How would Los Angeles real estate change, if suddenly every wealthy Chinese, Russian mafia, and Sheik Yourbooti was DISPOSSESSED of their real estate holdings, and only valid US citizens and legal Resident Aliens were allowed to own property? They could still RENT, but legally they could not own...
that's a dream come true.. i think i just.. myself

Old 07-06-2016, 04:17 PM

271 posts, read 214,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
that's a dream come true.. i think i just.. myself
You won't be owning any property regardless. Why would it matter to you?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:24 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
You won't be owning any property regardless. Why would it matter to you?
ill have your property one day, "by any means necessary"

Old 07-06-2016, 04:33 PM

271 posts, read 214,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
ill have your property one day, "by any means necessary"
gl with that.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:44 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
The story repeats again. I have a friend who was in a roommate living situation paying 800 a month, she decided to but a 750k house and her monthly outflow is around 5-6k. Disregarding tax benefits, that's about 10k a year vs 65k a year. She is in a carreer that ranges in the 100-150k, maybe she is in the upper end and can sorta afford it, but that's really just 1 layoff away from a possible lower wage.

There is a huge demand in housing in LA simply because all the hip cats are moving here to live the YOLO city life. Give it a few years when people realized its really unstainable to be living in a 2k single or sharing a 2bd for 1500. Food that once cost under 10 have all been hipsterfy to cost 15-20. Beer for under 7?? Rare. No- starbucks coffee range from 4-8. The big corporations are leaving the area , the movie industry are moving from the area. Tech has supposedly come in, but who knows. Startup bubble mania... most will die off soon.
Yeah I know what you mean . Things were a lot more affordable across the board during the recession .
If course unemployment was higher , but most people were employed too of course .
Now it seem everyone feels they can charge top dollar for things because " the economy is good"

Also regarding the film industry and startups , a lot of those employees get laid off too, people will work on a show and then get laid off and go on unemployment . This is why you see so many people just hanging out during the day in LA. Also of course with startups they have high failure rates . There seems to be a lot of talk of a tech crash , but who knows when for sure .

This Tech Bubble Is Bursting - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: