Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times

Advertisements

West Covina is an incorporated city and has its own police department (or at least it did when I lived there awhile back). Very nice place too. Affordable but low crime, pretty, etc. Only drawback was terrible air in the middle of the San Gabriel Valley surrounded by mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:28 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Notion of "suburbs" is quaint anyway....from era when "everyone" supposedly worked in some office downtown and lived in some bedroom "suburb", right?

LA is first region to truly shatter concept of suburb....some ?40yrs ago...but most major urban regions in US today have less than 50% of their jobs in any central, downtown locale....

Lots of people live and work in BH; SF is actually a suburb of the 40mi long area loosely called "SiliconValley", where most of world's tech industry is based and where SF region's wealth is generated; many hedge fund guys both live and work in Greenwich, CT, a "suburb" of NYC......for many, the supposed downtown area of an urban region (at least as viewed by clueless tourists) is fairly irrelevant.....

Old 07-20-2008, 03:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
LA Harbor, LAX, and many other sections of the city are connected by long thin strips of land to make them part of the city. Kind of like LA has all these appendages going in countless directions. Some sections of the City surround complete citys within the area. This is a different beast than what the East Coast or Mid West people think of when they encounter a City. I can drive on the 101 from Ventura County and run into a sign on the Freeway in LA County letting me know that I am now in the City of Los Angeles. Just past that is a few other cities that I drive past. Always love driving past the City of Calabassas though. Love Ferraris and Lambo's. They have the perfect Dealerships on the North side of the 101.

Something that I haven't ever researched but would like to know. I have heard of West Covina. Is there a Covina? How about an East Covina?

Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Is there a Covina? How about an East Covina?
Yes and no.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 PM

87 posts, read 411,289 times
Uh ya are you on crack. Pasadena MOnrovia Sierra MAdre Rosemead are all suburbs get a map you fool

Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Here's another: Montclair and Claremont, right next each other. Who thought those two up?

And yes, there is a Covina but not an East Covina (as far as I know).

Old 07-21-2008, 07:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Here's another: Montclair and Claremont, right next each other. Who thought those two up?

And yes, there is a Covina but not an East Covina (as far as I know).
And there's a La Verne, but where's Shirley?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
Then there's the world's BIGGEST suburb...San Diego!
Actually Yokohama, Japan is larger than San Diego, and it's basically a suburb of Tokyo. San Diego is the largest suburb in the United States though, followed by San Jose.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:46 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
... and West Covina , for some reason, is about 3 times as big as the original Covina. East of Covina is beautiful downtown Irwindale and the even more lovely gravel quarries of the San Gabriel River alluvia.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:09 PM

14 posts, read 39,275 times
Default suburbs in Los Angeles

The suburbs would be more in The San Fernando Valley such as Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, and parts of Studio City. A bit farther west is Calabasas, Angoura, Thousand Oaks, and Westlake. Those areas are very suburban and serence. There are very nice pockets on the west side of Los Angeles that have beautiful suburban like areas, but they are surrounded by city living. But, areas in Westwood, Santa Monica, Culver City have very serene areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles