Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 16,949 times

Advertisements

So I created this account two years ago before moving out to California. I was going to work in Loma Linda and was asking where I should live. I got some good recommendations and ended up subletting in Riverside and then ended up near Claremont for the next two years. Obviously took that job.

I have now decided to move into Los Angeles. I got a new job that pays pretty well ($90k + bonus & gas cards - $250 a month, almost more than I could use at 30 mpg). My job will have me working in El Segundo for a year and then in USC for the following two. I am 25, single, male. I am willing to pay up to $1500 a month for rent even though I could probably afford more. I am willing to do a room share but a studio or 1 BR would also work. I am thinking I have two options:

Live near the beach and El Segundo for a year and then move closer to USC for the following two.

OR

Find somewhere between that would not have a bad commute to either place.

Any recommendations on which option? I don't have much furniture but I guess I might start accruing so a move may become more involved than now (just packed up my car).

And for either option where might be a good place for a single guy trying to make friends and meet girls. I do have a good friend that lives near downtown and I imagine i might go out there or hollywood a decent amount. Trying to keep my commute 30 min or less but could handle maybe 45min.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 08:21 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
If you want to live by yourself, finding a studio/1 bedroom for $1,500 in desirable areas by the beach or even downtown LA will be very tough. You'll find something more in your price range in Hollywood or Koreatown, although the product will still be relatively old and possibly in a so-so part of town.

If $1,500/month is a hard cap for you, I'd recommend finding a nicer place where you can have a roommate so you can live in a better area with a more active singles life.

If you want to be near El Segundo, Santa Monica is a great option as it has an active singles scene with tons of young people and great bars/restaurants. Venice is also relatively popular with young people and although gentrifying, I think it's still pretty dumpy and overpriced. I'd also consider Culver City if Santa Monica gives you sticker shock. Also, given that there is a metro line that goes from USC to Santa Monica, you wouldn't need to worry about moving closer to USC once you finish your El Segundo job.

If you don't mind having a longer commute (to both El Segundo and USC) and want to right in the thick of nightlife, I'd consider West Hollywood. Again, given that it's a bit further from the freeway, you'll be stuck in surface street gridlock more.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:06 PM

15 posts, read 12,397 times
look into the area around Kenneth Hahn park

Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
If you find a studio near El Segundo for under $1500 a month, you probably won't waste your time moving when you start at USC. The drive from El Segundo to USC is not that bad. You might open up your search up to Culver City/Westchester area since you'd be going against traffic and have the option of the Expo line. Studios on the westside can be found for under $1500 a month. If you want to get close to the beach, you'd be looking at South Redondo which is about 30 minutes to El Segundo and 45-60 to USC in traffic.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM

329 posts, read 627,624 times
Just live near El Segundo even when you start work at USC. It will be reverse traffic for you so commute won't be bad at all.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:48 PM

9 posts, read 16,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Just live near El Segundo even when you start work at USC. It will be reverse traffic for you so commute won't be bad at all.
People aren't driving towards downtown in the morning and away in the evening? I would think i would be with traffic, wouldn't I?

Also found a pretty nice place North/West side of culver city close to Mar Vista that I'm considering pretty heavily. Gonna check out some around Inglewood too bt Culver City may be my place.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:55 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybemovingtoLA View Post
People aren't driving towards downtown in the morning and away in the evening? I would think i would be with traffic, wouldn't I?

Also found a pretty nice place North/West side of culver city close to Mar Vista that I'm considering pretty heavily. Gonna check out some around Inglewood too bt Culver City may be my place.
Inglewood is a bad area. Stick to Culver City.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 PM

329 posts, read 627,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybemovingtoLA View Post

On the way back you can take 110s to 105W. Hardly any traffic except near dtla. You can take fastrak if you want to bypass the madness. In the morning, same thing but near dtla you will hit traffic. If you have HOV sticker, even better. I have a cng civic with carpool sticker so I can drive in hov/express lanes solo for free.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Generally speaking, most of the neighborhoods in Los Angeles that are located south of the 10, east of 405 and - further up - La Cienega Blvd, west of Lakewood Blvd (CA-19) and everything between the 110 and 710 should be avoided.

Of course, there are neighborhoods that are outliers, but use this as a general rule of thumb in searching for a place to live.

I agree with the guy up-thread who said you just live in El Segundo and buy a FastTrak pass.

If you live in El Segundo beyond your first year on the job, you'll have a reverse commute, but only up until you hit the 110. At that point, I'd just take Vermont all the way up (the 110's fast, but only up until Manchester).

What about taking the Metro Green Line from the El Segundo station to the USC area? Might not be safe for days you work late, but on normal days, it might not be a bad option. I'll admit I don't anything north of the Green Line, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles