Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:36 AM

137 posts, read 109,590 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in Los Angeles but unfortunately I can't afford a lifestyle that I live now out there . Sure I make decent money and am ambitious and a hard worker , but I'm not the type of person to struggle , scrape by not be able to do what I want , go out for dinner and drinks or enjoy all that Los Angeles has to offer . I rather enjoy what it has to offer in all its glory rather than not be able to do anything fun or enjoy the city just to be able to say " yeah bro I live in La" I think a lot of people if they had that mentality there wouldn't be as much homes less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
The basin is built out. We must focus on mixed use, transit oriented development. Central LA has no choice but to Manhattanize. Prime central LA must gentrify to take pressure of the suburban periphery. Fullerton, Santa Clarita, and Upland must stay middle class. The hardcore poor must be pushed into the IE, Vegas, and Victorville.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:08 PM

124 posts, read 129,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
The basin is built out. We must focus on mixed use, transit oriented development. Central LA has no choice but to Manhattanize. Prime central LA must gentrify to take pressure of the suburban periphery. Fullerton, Santa Clarita, and Upland must stay middle class. The hardcore poor must be pushed into the IE, Vegas, and Victorville.
Give it time. 50 years from now LA county will look completely different from what it does today.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:13 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's not up to anyone to set prices at affordable since we live in a democracy where supply and demand dictate prices. Yes there is rent control but the whole region can't be rent controlled.
FYI, we do live in a democracy, but this has no direct correlation to our economy. Democracy defines our government, not our economy. Their are other democracies with less capitalistic economies than ours and there are also less democratic governments with highly capitalistic economies.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:26 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Totally wrong.

You think there are no homeless in NYC.

Gentrification is not the answer.

These people should be pushed to IE or other places.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
I would love to live in Los Angeles but unfortunately I can't afford a lifestyle that I live now out there . Sure I make decent money and am ambitious and a hard worker , but I'm not the type of person to struggle , scrape by not be able to do what I want , go out for dinner and drinks or enjoy all that Los Angeles has to offer . I rather enjoy what it has to offer in all its glory rather than not be able to do anything fun or enjoy the city just to be able to say " yeah bro I live in La" I think a lot of people if they had that mentality there wouldn't be as much homes less
I don't know what you define as a decent salary. But a single person making $50 to $60K a year can live well enough and also go out for dinner and drinks.

Sounds like you're making assumptions from what you see on TV and don't know as fact.

Kind of like all New Yorkers are rude based on watching a few movies, but never stepping foot yourself in NYC.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:50 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
This is the same leftist nonsense Michelle Obama spewed when she decried the fact that some communities live in food deserts. The reason Whole Foods and other such retailers are not in poor and crime ridden areas is because there is not enough disposable income there to support the stores. Moreover, there is lots of shrinkage and a need for heavy security. But we still want to believe that poor people should eat (and have access to the same stores), and they want to shop and eat like the wealthier people.
They may not be able to support a Whole Foods, but they can support stores like Aldi, Save-a-Lot, Walmart, etc. The trouble is the distance between the stores though, not that none of them are doing well.

As for Whole Foods, they personally are rolling the dice because they want to expand outside of their current niche. Their Detroit store was a success, but their real test will be the store opening in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood this fall. Englewood is one of the poorest and most dangerous neighborhoods in the city.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ds-in-chicago/
https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news...c-3059e61de4a1
Whole Foods gets personal in effort to impress Englewood - Chicago Tribune

Old 07-14-2016, 12:53 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Except none of those executives are self-made, they're "made" by family, connections and a good ole boy network
Yup and those family members had to do the work to get into those lofty positions themselves. So someone, somewhere, had to do the work to get that high in society.

Are you saying that if you were a person of high net worth, and had business connections galore, you wouldn't help your son get a job at a blue chip firm?

You would skip over your own blood, and hire some random poor person, since they need more opportunity? How generous of you.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:54 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
L.A. has 46,874 people who are homeless. If we're not smart, we'll have 250,000 more - LA Times

Should EVERYONE that wants to live in L.A be able to live here , even if they can't afford it?
Should anyone that can get here whether it be by bus, car or plane from anywhere else in the country or world be housed in free housing at tax payer expense?
No.

I want to live in a beachfront tri-level home in Santa Monica. But at the moment, I can't afford it. Therefore, I can't live there. Period. But hey, I'm a rational person who has never accepted government handouts or been homeless.

If the homeless and their advocates want people who can't afford homes to live in the LA area and its beach communities, then you pay the current rental demands.

I'm moving to LA soon and my rent will go up 60%. I am prepared to pay that because I'm a hard working professional who would deserve to live there because I'm paying the rents at the places I can AFFORD to live at.

If living in LA is too damn expensive for some people, then you cannot live there. It's a concept that some people just refuse to accept. When you are priced out, you move. The homeless, they need to be sent somewhere that has available space for them to have a comfortable and safe place to sleep, and it shouldn't have an ocean view or beach access because it's too expensive. If I can't afford it, neither should they just be given it.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:02 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
They may not be able to support a Whole Foods, but they can support stores like Aldi, Save-a-Lot, Walmart, etc.
Tsk, tsk. LA Liberals do not want WALMART in their community. The jobs, cheap goods, and access are not important, WALMART is an evil corporation looking to take advantage of labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles