Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:47 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times

Advertisements

Consider writing a report of your experiences for the LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
So we finally had to evacuate due to the fire spreading further and even closer to our neighborhood in Canyon Country. Last night we decided to stay put, but woke up to smoke throughout our house around 5:15am.

We're staying in Lancaster with family for the night. Now that the evacuation mandate has been lifted in our area, we're hoping to return home with no issue tomorrow.

The fire is reported to moving North.
I was just checking fire reports because of some ones here in Nor Cal.

The Sand Canyon one is almost entirely south of Soledad Canyon Rd. LA County Fire has an increasingly robust perimeter in place to prevent a jump across the 14. Beyond that, a jump across the 14 seems highly unlikely given the current wind patterns. There is to be a weak trough later this week that will reinforce the onshore flow and increase moisture. I suspect you've dodged a bullet.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I was just checking fire reports because of some ones here in Nor Cal.

The Sand Canyon one is almost entirely south of Soledad Canyon Rd. LA County Fire has an increasingly robust perimeter in place to prevent a jump across the 14. Beyond that, a jump across the 14 seems highly unlikely given the current wind patterns. There is to be a weak trough later this week that will reinforce the onshore flow and increase moisture. I suspect you've dodged a bullet.
I imagine so. We came back home today and I couldn't be more grateful for it...Lancaster isn't my cup of tea at all. Our neighborhood is now completely clear of the smoke and falling ash, which I understand is now blowing North.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:03 AM

65 posts, read 75,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL....bless your heart, the phony southern endearment, which in reality means go F yourself.

I have been here since 1988, no interest in the entertainment industry other than being a fan of old movies.

You came on here and made it all about you and put down LA in the process.

Stick to the south, it suits you.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
I imagine so. We came back home today and I couldn't be more grateful for it...Lancaster isn't my cup of tea at all. Our neighborhood is now completely clear of the smoke and falling ash, which I understand is now blowing North.
We're now getting an onshore up here - the smoke level is much much less than yesterday. Our big problem, the fire down by Carmel, is still at a low level of containment. Hopefully the marine layer gets thicker this weekend.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We're now getting an onshore up here - the smoke level is much much less than yesterday. Our big problem, the fire down by Carmel, is still at a low level of containment. Hopefully the marine layer gets thicker this weekend.
Summers in Cali are intense! Thankfully, our fire is now 65% contained and skies are clearing up.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:16 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Yep living in Ca is not for the weak.. Winters are better you just have to fear mud slides then oh and the possible earth quake...

Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 AM

Its ironic you mentioned "CA is not for the weak"...because one of the more glaring observations my wife and I have had is how much people complain here.

Coming from a city as troubled as New Orleans you just get used to rolling with the punches and finding the silver lining. Negativity is not well tolerated there at all. But here, in an area much more comfortable and more successful in general, people seem to readily whine about any negatives they can. Which I think is odd and unfortunate.

I personally am thrilled that we moved here because of the numerous great things about the area. Complain about what? Life? No thanks lol

Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 AM

508 posts, read 503,686 times
Quote:
Its ironic you mentioned "CA is not for the weak"...because one of the more glaring observations my wife and I have had is how much people complain here.

Coming from a city as troubled as New Orleans you just get used to rolling with the punches and finding the silver lining. Negativity is not well tolerated there at all. But here, in an area much more comfortable and more successful in general, people seem to readily whine about any negatives they can. Which I think is odd and unfortunate.

I personally am thrilled that we moved here because of the numerous great things about the area. Complain about what? Life? No thanks lol
True. I would think that would be the case with most cities however. Have you ever been to Austin? One of the most privileged places and you can't go two hours without people complaining about the most minute things. NO seems to be tougher because it is a rougher place.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:

A lot of native Californians complain in part because of the overcrowding of the state and increased costs. California was amazing when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's and you know... I would complain, too, if I had stayed and had to watch my beloved state become less affordable for the people who spent their lives in a great state. Also, you live in an area in LA County but CA is pretty large and varied. I think you need to meet way more Californians before you make that judgement. Also, glad you and your family are safe and your house is safe, as well. Thank you for your updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles