Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 05:08 AM

427 posts, read 500,175 times

Advertisements

I pay $450 to split a room with five other guys in an extremely nasty neighborhood. There is trash everywhere, and prostitutes literally right off our doorstep. After getting mugged, I no longer walk in the neighborhood. I always park my car close to the house and drive everywhere, even when my destination is literally less than a block away.

Neighborhood aside, the lack of privacy is extremely maddening. It is supposed to be a shared living community for artists (most of my roommates are actors), but most people just blare hip hop and get drunk. Everyone is about my age, and I've met some good people, but the experience of sharing EVERYTHING is absolute torture for an introvert like me.

I see so many ads for rooms, even for $500, on Craigslist. I am ready to move out of this dump, and am really hoping I get one of the $500 - $700 private rooms I have found so I can leave this joint. I'm supposed to give 30 days notice, but there is no way that is possible in the rental market here. Everything is first come, first serve.

I know LA is an expensive place, but would you call this sort of living arrangement a scam, unethical? How royally am I being ripped off? My coworkers said I am being "played," and they pay about the same for private rooms in K-Town. I am just feeling angry that I am having to pay for such an unpleasant arrangement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
I doubt you'll find a private room anywhere in LA for $500. Maybe if you are willing to drive to the IE. But I would rather live far out of the city then live in a flop house

If you are each paying $500 for a room in South Central you are all getting played. Thats 3000/mo which could get a 2 bed house in the valley. Of course most landlord wouldnt rent a 2 beddroom house to 6 young guys

Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
OP, your situation sounds unimaginable. But as a fellow introvert, I ask you, why did you get yourself in such a living situation? Such a place is a magnet for troubled or lazy/nasty souls. If you're a hard working person with principles and basic standards, you could not live like that. In this instance, you get what you paid for, basically, a place just to sleep - not clean, no privacy, not safe. Good luck in finding something better... it's scary to me what people will tolerate just to live in LA.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:10 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
You're being screwed. Search the rooms for rent on Craigslist and you'll find private rooms for $500/mo just about anywhere in the city. Hell, even Santa Monica.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
LA is a liberal paradise. Strict gun laws, high taxation to help "end homelessness", I doubt what you say is true. It can't be that bad.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
You're being screwed. Search the rooms for rent on Craigslist and you'll find private rooms for $500/mo just about anywhere in the city. Hell, even Santa Monica.
Looking through the ads you linked they are mostly:

1. Same as OP's current situation but maybe slightly worse area. i.e. $450-500/mo for shared room in hostel /dorm style with several bunks in one room but in seedy part of Hollywood instead of South Central
2. Sober living houses
3. Scams

I saw two that might not fit into those and one is shared room in Northridge with CSUN students and other is shared room for a female who doesn't mind participating in daily bible study

I sublet one private room in my 2 bed apt in Glendale 5 years ago and had no problem getting $800/mo. The market is much crazier now

Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 AM

124 posts, read 129,607 times
OP you're going to have to get lucky, but it is possible. I know several people that rent out their pool houses / granny flats for super reasonable rates ($500-$700). Usually wealthy empty nesters that still live in large houses and just like to have young people around. But they usually go to family/ personal connections not to random people off craigslist.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaDude View Post
OP you're going to have to get lucky, but it is possible. I know several people that rent out their pool houses / granny flats for super reasonable rates ($500-$700). Usually wealthy empty nesters that still live in large houses and just like to have young people around. But they usually go to family/ personal connections not to random people off craigslist.
i.e. West Hollywood house boy

Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 AM

124 posts, read 129,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
i.e. West Hollywood house boy
Especially young travellers from foreign countries.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Looking through the ads you linked they are mostly:

1. Same as OP's current situation but maybe slightly worse area. i.e. $450-500/mo for shared room in hostel /dorm style with several bunks in one room but in seedy part of Hollywood instead of South Central
2. Sober living houses
3. Scams

I saw two that might not fit into those and one is shared room in Northridge with CSUN students and other is shared room for a female who doesn't mind participating in daily bible study
Out of the ~600 listings in the LA basin I see some that are questionable and some that are sober living, but there appears to be a good supply under $500/mo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles