Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 PM

72 posts, read 62,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
I ask this because I have been living in Hollywood for 2 months now and I really don't like it at all.

My wife and I moved here from NYC about 2 1/2 months ago because she got a promotion which moved her out here. Hollywood was one of our last choices as a place to rent, but we only had 10 days to find a place and with a pit bull mix it made things even harder. Also with only one income at the time, a budget of $1600 doesn't get you very far. After looking at a few areas like Sherman Oaks, Pasadena and Eagle Rock, we kept getting denied because of our dog. Then we found this place in Hollywood and with only 2 days left before we needed to leave corporate housing we decided to sign the lease.

The apartment itself is great for us, perfect size and close to my wifes work. I just really hate this area. I thought NYC was dirty but Hollywood is even worse. When we walk our dog we have to step around 3 homeless people sleeping with 2 blocks of us and I still can't believe how much trash is everywhere. It's really putting me down.

Sorry about the rant, but I would like to know if anyone who lives in Hollywood truly loves it?
It's hard to believe NYC is cleaner. More so the boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:53 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,669,186 times
Quote:
My wife and I moved here from NYC about 2 1/2 months ago
Hollywood is for young single people who are trying to hustle to "make it" in some part of the entertainment industry.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:22 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,079,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Hollywood is for young single people who are trying to hustle to "make it" in some part of the entertainment industry.
Have to ask - how much time have you spent in Hollywood? Although it contains a disproportionate amount of industry people compared to the rest of LA county, the vast majority of residents are not in the industry. Industry people represent <18% of the population if I recall correctly.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Have to ask - how much time have you spent in Hollywood? Although it contains a disproportionate amount of industry people compared to the rest of LA county, the vast majority of residents are not in the industry. Industry people represent <18% of the population if I recall correctly.
True. As I had mentioned before the block I lived in and the surrounding blocks were mostly elderly Russian or Eastern European immigrants.

I was pretty close to the border of West Hollywood, huge Russian community. Sure some Russians in the film business, but not too many..

"The Russian-speaking population of West Hollywood is the most concentrated single Russian-speaking region in US outside of New York and consists primarily of émigrés from different Republics of the former Soviet Union: Russian Federation, Ukraine, Armenia, Georgia, Belarus, Latvia, Uzbekistan, etc."

City of West Hollywood : Russian-Speaking Community

Also certain parts of Hollywood have a working class hispanic population living there.

It's more of a myth that it's mostly young singles looking to break into the industry.. Of course they are there, but they are also living all across the L.A area, including cities like Santa Monica , Burbank, Culver City,etc not just Hollywood.

It's kind of like when people say that Echo Park is all white hipsters now and all the latinos left or were 'pushed out' due to higher housing prices.. while there are less now they are still a majority.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:40 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,261,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Good thinking with the Grove and West Hollywood are better areas. Cleaner, low crime, and just more upscale in terms of nightlife and restaurants.

If I were you, I'd go for West Hollywood, which is an independent city that's not part of the city of Los Angeles. With that, they've been to do some things to make the city nicer and more desirable that I believe would be otherwise difficult if it was just a neighborhood that is part of the city of Los Angeles.

It can still be congested and finding parking can be a nightmare, but it beats Hollywood by a mile.
This. West Hollywood has far superior city services. And if you like the action in Hollywood, you're still very close. Fairfax/Miracle Mile - same thing, despite being in the city of LA. It's much cleaner.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM

1,043 posts, read 893,609 times
I know lots of people who love living in Hollywood.
They seem to be the young, party, club going types.
There are lots of them here and helps make LA into a diverse and exciting city.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:54 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,283,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
I know lots of people who love living in Hollywood.
They seem to be the young, party, club going types.
There are lots of them here and helps make LA into a diverse and exciting city.
Yeah but does one really need to live right next door to the club or within walking distance? Are most working people really going out to clubs that often that they need to live right by the clubs ?

I mean I could see if L.A was the type of city where you had to live "downtown" to be near the action, but it's not that type of city.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,079,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah but does one really need to live right next door to the club or within walking distance? Are most working people really going out to clubs that often that they need to live right by the clubs ?

I mean I could see if L.A was the type of city where you had to live "downtown" to be near the action, but it's not that type of city.
I'm going to make an assumption based on my interactions with residents when I say the convenient proximity to nightlife is only a component to their choice to live in HW, as the area also offers great convenience for daily life. For my wife & I that was also the case--we can walk to the markets, resturants, coffee shops, touristy events, dry cleaners, etc.

Then again we have a friend who moved into our building just so she could reduce her expense of Uber rides to the clubs. Hollywood is filled with all sorts of people, and I like it.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 PM

266 posts, read 268,957 times
Could always move to Beverly Hills, its just right down the road so it would still be close to work etc. Nice quiet area, clean streets.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,506,607 times
Quote:
I ask this because I have been living in Hollywood for 2 months now and I really don't like it at all.

My wife and I moved here from NYC about 2 1/2 months ago because she got a promotion which moved her out here. Hollywood was one of our last choices as a place to rent, but we only had 10 days to find a place and with a pit bull mix it made things even harder. Also with only one income at the time, a budget of $1600 doesn't get you very far. After looking at a few areas like Sherman Oaks, Pasadena and Eagle Rock, we kept getting denied because of our dog. Then we found this place in Hollywood and with only 2 days left before we needed to leave corporate housing we decided to sign the lease.

The apartment itself is great for us, perfect size and close to my wifes work. I just really hate this area. I thought NYC was dirty but Hollywood is even worse. When we walk our dog we have to step around 3 homeless people sleeping with 2 blocks of us and I still can't believe how much trash is everywhere. It's really putting me down.

Sorry about the rant, but I would like to know if anyone who lives in Hollywood truly loves it?
A few of us tried to tell you before you moved on you other thread you would have a hard time in LA renting with a pit bull.

I lived in Hollywood in a rental in the early 90s, I liked living there, it depends where in Hollywood you are. I lived where Hollywood Blvd and Laurel Canyon intersect. Very quiet and clean, and still is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles