Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 08:44 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times

Advertisements

LA had been known for its very wide freeways with at least 10 lanes throughout the metropolitan area and sometimes as much as 16 lanes, however that very busy stretch of i5 is a major exception to the rule, and this causes traffic jams for all freeways that connect to that stretch during busier traffic hours. I know its now being expanded nowadays but why it wasn't it built consistent with the freeway north or south of that stretch in the first place?

Also are decisions on engineering and maintenance of state highways generally the role of the "county" it runs through? As I notice there are wide differences between counties in how roads are built and paved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:10 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Right now, that section is being expanded. And the other cause for traffic jams is the 55 MPH speed limit. Everywhere else it averages 65 MPH.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Though I wonder why it was that narrow in the first place? While everywhere else i5 is at least 10 lane minimum.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:14 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,348 times
This was covered about a month ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...-5-fwy-so.html

After Los Angeles County the 5 freeway South up until the 1990's was just a few lanes, in part because North Orange county (and South County to a greater extent) prior to that time was more like a Corona then an extension of Los Angeles.

When OC boomed and Disneyland became even bigger, that entire stretch was widened from the 55 all the way to La Mirada. This was a relatively recent build.

The 605 to the La Mirada/Buena Park county border was one of the more difficult expansions because of residential properties and businesses, in addition to numerous overpasses and grades.

The proposal to widen began right around the time when the construction on the Orange County side finished. The expansion has been in the works for over 20 or so years. All of that time was there to plan, get funding in order, execute eminent domain and now demolition and construction.

Currently construction is underway though I don't know what the completion date is...2018-2019 IIRC?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 AM

329 posts, read 627,750 times
Because when OC was just farmland, I5 didn't need so many lanes. Now OC is one mega metropolis, overbuilt, and crowded. While I5 in OC got wider lanes, LA section got no upgrade, until recently.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 PM

Though it is still pretty weird that almost every freeway stretches in the area in both counties had been upgraded to at least 10 lanes as of the 2000s to accommodate the exploding population but just not this stretch. I mean i5 south of this stretch is at least 8 lanes or more all the way to Tijuana Mexico including the stretch through Camp Pendleton. So is every other numbered freeways in the surrounding area in both countries. And North Orange County was already very densely developed 30 or so years ago. It is still hard to understand why every other freeway as well as other parts of i5 had been widened/upgraded long ago but just not this portion. So I guess this was just a very big urban planning fail that caused a big headache when it was time to expand the freeway. Though it appears that stretch of i5 seems more of the exception than the norm in Socal, Thank goodness. That is of course if we don't count the casualties of projects forever tabled due the infamous freeway revolt of the 1960s.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:16 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Though it is still pretty weird that almost every freeway stretches in the area in both counties had been upgraded to at least 10 lanes as of the 2000s to accommodate the exploding population but just not this stretch. I mean i5 south of this stretch is at least 8 lanes or more all the way to Tijuana Mexico including the stretch through Camp Pendleton. So is every other numbered freeways in the surrounding area in both countries. And North Orange County was already very densely developed 30 or so years ago. It is still hard to understand why every other freeway as well as other parts of i5 had been widened/upgraded long ago but just not this portion. So I guess this was just a very big urban planning fail that caused a big headache when it was time to expand the freeway. Though it appears that stretch of i5 seems more of the exception than the norm in Socal, Thank goodness. That is of course if we don't count the casualties of projects forever tabled due the infamous freeway revolt of the 1960s.
That's one of the older freeways in SoCal that had a small right of way. It was heavily developed around right up to the ROW, plus bridges weren't built wide enough for extra lanes. They had to eminent domain a lot of properties to expand it, and they've been tearing out the old bridges. This issue isn't unique to the 5, it's a problem with all of the older freeways. The 101 from downtown to Cahuenga pass has the same issues, as does the 110 from downtown to Pasadena.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:50 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
That's one of the older freeways in SoCal that had a small right of way. It was heavily developed around right up to the ROW, plus bridges weren't built wide enough for extra lanes. They had to eminent domain a lot of properties to expand it, and they've been tearing out the old bridges. This issue isn't unique to the 5, it's a problem with all of the older freeways. The 101 from downtown to Cahuenga pass has the same issues, as does the 110 from downtown to Pasadena.
Exactly.

South County has nothing around the existing freeway. They could expand stretches to 20 lanes down there.

A quick look on maps shows hundreds of homes right up against the 5 and further up, businesses butting up against it as well.

I'm not an expert on Eminent Domain, but I'd assume there may be some hangups that could take years to settle out under just compensation.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:53 PM

I am surprised though most other sections of freeways in and around LA metro area including orange county does not have properties developed so close to the freeway right of way. And this section is a big exception. And I never knew there were residences there as I just see commercial and industrial/warehouse developments everytime I pass by. Though I guess this is why the year round "Halloween" warehouse was relocated to the opposite side of the freeway.

I wonder were building elevated freeways considered as to avoid land use issues? Would that be more expensive or time consuming than what they are doing now.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-02-2016 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles