Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
I noticed last month that we've barely gotten a taste of "July Fry." This month was just as moist, so far. I should expect to be sweating profusely like a guy due to the humidity.

Someone else on the thread mentioned big roaches coming out due to the humid air. I say, spray those monstrous, six-legged bastards!
Amen!! Man, there literally must be nowhere in the universe those things don't exist. If NASA found roaches on Mars, their official press release would be "Meh."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm LA born and raised here. I used to always love spring and summer here, weather was always great. I just noticed the last few years, IDK, for four or five now it seems like summer is getting more and more humid. The last couple of years especially. I live about a mile from the beach and it should be cooler than it's been. I'm just always a sloppy wet mess anymore. It's just driving me nuts. I'll take those 95 degree hot dry Santa Ana days any day of the week over this 80 deg swamp crap we have now. I was just arguing with the SO and she was telling me that's its been this way forever now, I don't think it has, but whatever. I get that it's way worse back east but something about humidity I just can't take. Again, hot and dry I can work with, but this hot and swampy just sucks.....
I don't know how old you are. I lived in LA / SoCal during most of the 1980s. During that time we were definitely positive PDO and had two El Nino events, one of them the dramatic one of '82 and '83. It was pretty friggin' humid during the summer except when there was an offshore / Santa Ana. Doing some long term visits during the early 90s it was not appreciably different.

After the Positive PDO broke down at the end of the 90s, I suspect it got drier.

A few return visits since then seemed dry to me.

This summer seemed humid and reminded me of the 80s. I think that is the hangover from the recent El Nino. There is still a blob of high SST water caught up in the Catalina eddy. In all likelihood SST will be normal or below normal next year (maybe even late summer this year). I suspect it will be relatively low humidity next summer by SoCal standards (although it's all relative, by overall California standards, SoCal is a humid place in the summer).

Old 08-08-2016, 02:18 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I'm visiting my parents in the valley right now and this is the first time ever that I have seen huge roaches in our house and on the sidewalk. So far this summer we have had half a dozen huge roaches in the house =/ I say this because before we started having humid days, I really have't seen too many roaches here. Last summer we also had maggots in our trash cans as well as our neighbors.
Those roaches you see outside are not our native ones. They are a "gift" from Russia / Central Asia - yet another invasive species.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 PM

762 posts, read 610,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareahillbilly View Post
those roaches you see outside are not our native ones. They are a "gift" from russia / central asia - yet another invasive species.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Old 08-08-2016, 09:48 PM

132 posts, read 132,407 times
47 year native and the humidity of 2015 was horrible, did we even have a winter last year? This place is getting hotter and hotter. Hot Santa Ana's for weeks on end in November and December wreak havoc on your sinus'! East coasters and midwesterners love the weather here, of course they do! They SHOULD love the weather here, but natives know what's up. "Rocky mountain high....Colorado." Good bye L.A.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:09 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
I agree with you, coming from Phoenix...I find LA to be humid.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:20 PM

581 posts, read 920,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I agree with you, coming from Phoenix...I find LA to be humid.
C'mon let's not forget about those summer monsoons. (spl)

Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Come east of the Mississipi. That is what humidity feels like.
Exactly, despite it being more humid than in the past. It doesn't last.

And it's a walk in the park compared to the east or the south. We're not dealing with 85 degrees at 11pm with 90% humidity.

What I loved about CA when I moved here over 20 years ago, you could sleep with a comforter in the summer with the windows open. Try doing that in FL you would die.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Scew LA, it's way overrated. I once went to Galveston in Texas and I thought I had died and gone to hell. They serve the air down there in chunks.

No it isn't. You have lived here your whole life, you spent a short time in Galveston and found it to be hell. Try living in a humid climate for a few years and get back to us.

I lived in the south for a couple of years, BRUTAL. You would try and sit out at night, not move a muscle and you would sweat, and I'm not overweight. It's gross, you become a prisoner of A/C. That gets old after awhile.

I never fully appreciated how good we have here weather wise, until I left and had to deal horrific heat and humidity. And it doesn't start out slow like it does here, where the mornings are cool, heat peaks and than goes down rapidly when the sun sets...oh no....LOL....it's blistering by 8am and never lets up.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:08 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, June 2016 marked the 14th consecutive month for record global temperatures. Los Angeles is obviously not immune from these trends; our city is getting hotter right along with the rest of the planet.

Last October saw the worst heat wave in 25 years, and the longest run of 100-plus-degree days downtown."

My first L.A. summer with AC - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles