Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM

8,430 posts, read 10,841,482 times

Advertisements

There is a solution to this terrible traffic in this county, and many years ago I gave a suggestion to the governor, the head of cal trans, my state reps, and nothing came of it.
Today that solution would work as well as when I first thought of it.

If the state would issue a sticker for the inside rear window,to be placed on all vehicles, designating a day of the week, on that day the vehicle could not be used with the exception of people in the medical, law enforcement, and fire departments.

All others would have to find alternate means of traveling on their designated day.
That could be public transportation, or car pooling.
Stiff penalties would ensure compliance.

This idea would take millions of vehicles off the streets each and every day.
I still feel it would put a big dent in the traffic through out the county.

Least I forget, that sticker would be made of material making it impossible to be removed, like transferring it to a different vehicle.
Tampering with it would make it obvious it was tampered with.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 04:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,783,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
There is a solution to this terrible traffic in this county, and many years ago I gave a suggestion to the governor, the head of cal trans, my state reps, and nothing came of it.

If the state would issue a sticker for the inside rear window,to be placed on all vehicles, designating a day of the week, on that day the vehicle could not be used with the exception of people in the medical, law enforcement, and fire departments.

All others would have to find alternate means of traveling on their designated day.

Least I forget, that sticker would be made of material making it impossible to be removed, like transferring it to a different vehicle.

Bob.
Well you can't even get people in CA to put license plates on their cars so good luck with your stickers

Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 PM

214 posts, read 212,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Well you can't even get people in CA to put license plates on their cars so good luck with your stickers
You don't even have to do it with stickers. Just instate Odd-Even license plate restrictions like the gas rationing in the 1970's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd%E2...even_rationing

Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
You don't even have to do it with stickers. Just instate Odd-Even license plate restrictions like the gas rationing in the 1970's.

Ok what about custom plates?

Old 08-10-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post

Again....you can't even get people to put plates on their cars here.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:07 PM

977 posts, read 1,003,825 times
I think the government telling you when you can and can't drive is really not what I would like. If you don't like traffic move, or take public transportation don't make everyone else not able to drive.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 PM

13,564 posts, read 15,490,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
That is a horrendous solution, as I do not believe I should give up the personal freedoms my relatives allegedly fought for in order to appease the cheap labor lobbies. And if the population increase does not stop, then we'll have many more problems anyway.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Again....you can't even get people to put plates on their cars here.
Is that right? Please tell me what percentage of the 10 million people in LA county drive without license plates on their cars.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ok what about custom plates?
Read article please

Second paragraph under "Effectiveness"
Vanity plates which do not contain any digits may be arbitrarily classed as odd or even.

This is not some new invention I'm making up, and I don't even support the OP's thesis. Just saying it's a whole lot easier to implement than "stickers that you can't move between cars" since we already have a system in place for mandatory license plates on autos.

They actually do this in Beijing in order to reduce pollution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_s...ing_in_Beijing

Road space rationing in Beijing was introduced in the city in a permanent basis after successful results obtained with the policy during the 2008 Summer Olympics. Road space rationing or driving restriction is a transportation demand management regulation aimed to reduce traffic by restricting automobile travel through means such as restriction of cars that could enter common road space based upon the last digits of the license number on certain established days during certain periods in Beijing.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I think the government telling you when you can and can't drive is really not what I would like. If you don't like traffic move, or take public transportation don't make everyone else not able to drive.
Honestly the idea of the having the government tell people when they can and can't drive is an idea that only an Californian could come up with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles