Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2023, 02:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,492 times

Advertisements

Can anyone from LAUSD tell me their hiring policy for people with a DUI or misdemeanor? is that an automatic disqualification after you get hired? As I recently received a job offer from LAUSD from a 3rd party company, technically not an official employee but more like a contractor working administrative duties for LAUSD. The reason I ask is I was under the assumption that the background check would be done by my actual company which I represent and not from LAUSD which requires me to do a DOJ "Live Scan" I already know if I go thru with this my DUI, a misdemeanor will show up and I do not want to get notified by HR after I have start work only to get a phone call/e-mail stating that I failed my background check, 1-2 weeks later because of my DUI, and therefore they will have to cancel my employment. I would also like to know if there were cases if past LAUSD employees who also have DUI, or misdemeanor charges were able to hold a job or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 09:03 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Wouldn't you have to fill out LAUSD's application for employment before you'd be hired?

The Impact Of A DUI On Substitute Teaching:
https://www.davidazizipersonalinjury...tute%20teacher.

https://ca01000043.schoolwires.net/s...ame=HR8766.pdf

Old 08-07-2023, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,492 times
Thing is, i got scouted by a 3rd party recruiting agency for an administrative position, working for LAUSD. I already gave my application/resume, got thru the rounds of interviews along with 3 references that I needed to provide to LAUSD, a week later LAUSD gave the go-ahead to "hire" me fill that position, a couple of days ago I received notification from my 3rd party agency to do the "on-boarding" process instructed by LAUSD, one of them required me to do a DOJ-Live Scan background check. My 1st day of work will begin on the 14th of August, and they need this background check done within 6 weeks from my start date. I already know what results I will get from the DOJ-Live Scan, and it will show up with my conviction of a 1st offense DUI, a misdemeanor charge, not to mention I'm already on probation right now. i don't know if my current status will result in an automatic trigger for LAUSD HR department to rescind my hiring, or do they have a relaxed approach toward people with DUIs, or misdemeanor charges. As my job does not involve or require driving as I will be working as an administrative position for LAUSD.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:38 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhan View Post
Thing is, i got scouted by a 3rd party recruiting agency for an administrative position, working for LAUSD. I already gave my application/resume, got thru the rounds of interviews along with 3 references that I needed to provide to LAUSD...
I read that. As of January of 2022, any employee or volunteer of a public school in California is required to have had a DOJ-Live Scan background check under AB 506. It was intended to screen out anyone with a history of child abuse. There is the Fair Chance Act (https://calcivilrights.ca.gov/wp-con...ct-FAQ_ENG.pdf) but it doesn't apply to employers such as public schools.

Can you call the HR department and ask? You wouldn't need to identify who you are.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:15 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,384,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhan View Post
As I recently received a job offer from LAUSD from a 3rd party company, technically not an official employee but more like a contractor working administrative duties for LAUSD.

"Like a contractor" or a contractor? Since you've already been on-boarded, I wouldn't worry about it but if you're losing sleep, just call HR and explain the situation, who you are, your position and who you work for.

As for the fingerprinting, it isn't meant to be a deep dive into anyone's personal background. It's meant to weed out people with sex crimes and major felonies. Since it's a requirement anywhere you'll work in schools, I would just keep up the process and report to work on your hire date. As for the DUI, the districts I work for here in San Diego aren't going to care unless maybe you're trying to get a bus driving position or some other classified job that will put you behind the wheel of a district vehicle. The way things are right now, education is pretty hard up for warm bodies and since it sounds like you're not even going to be an LAUSD employee, I can't imagine any of this is going to matter.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:13 PM

10,136 posts, read 6,562,973 times
Just don't get a 2nd DUI....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles