Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 AM

762 posts, read 610,746 times

Advertisements

i believe according to the census that armenians and iranians are considered white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 12:07 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
So I don't know how anyone would know this unless maybe your in it but do the wealthy Asian and white social circles mix or is it pretty separate?
When you have that much dough, yes you do. No one gives a damn.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Southern OC is about the whitest place I've been in California. I think the west San Fernando Valley, around Thousand Oaks, is almost mostly white and possibly Pasadena? Not sure about that last one.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
What, why aren't Armenians white? I understand the argument about Iranians but Armenians? Oh should I not call them that? Do they find it offensive? Just need a soical tip since ill be moving there soon.....
Armenians are white. Just not "anglo white".

Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 AM

263 posts, read 234,126 times
In Bay Area, I noticed Sunnyvale is predominantly dominated by Asians (including East Indians), San Jose Latino while Palo Alto white. I live in Mountain View and it is a mix of Asian and white people. But I see a lot of other ethnicities such as Pacific Islanders.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Southern OC is about the whitest place I've been in California. .
Never been anywhere north of San Francisco, I take it?

(Thousand Oaks is not in the San Fernando Valley. It's in the Conejo Valley, whose demographics are like the San Fernando Valley of the '70s - overwhelmingly non-Latino white, with some Latinos, and virtually no one else.)

Old 08-12-2016, 12:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
The whites live in North County San Diego, Ojai, Santa Rosa Valley, South Coast OC. Some moved to Vegas, Idaho, Oregon, Wash., Arizona and just scattering areas of SoCal inland areas. I'm talking about most of whites seen in the heart of L.A. in the mid 70's. That's where they all went!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
The whites live in North County San Diego, Ojai, Santa Rosa Valley, South Coast OC. Some moved to Vegas, Idaho, Oregon, Wash., Arizona and just scattering areas of SoCal inland areas. I'm talking about most of whites seen in the heart of L.A. in the mid 70's. That's where they all went!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why did they all leave?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:02 AM

817 posts, read 752,818 times
Quote:
Why did they all leave?
" ♪ La cucaracha - La cucaracha ♪" from a DJ's PA every weekend?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Why did they all leave?
People move for different reasons of course. But, one of the big reasons was the loss of manufacturing. Parts of the San Fernando Valley and elsewhere like Van Nuys had the General Motors plant , Carnation ,etc. These were good paying union jobs that allowed people to live a decent middle class life. They weren't exclusively white of course but a lot were.
I'm guessing a lot of people figured it wasn't really worth living in Van Nuys,etc if they didn't have a job nearby.
That former General Motors plant is now a shopping center , so if you consider the income difference it's going to be pretty significant. I've known people that worked for GM in Van Nuys back in the day and some were offered to move to Indiana for work.

Generally (or always?) when you have people with decent incomes moving out of an area it's not good for the community. The other businesses existing that provide products and services then also start losing business..and it becomes a downward spiral of sorts..

I wasn't around during the glory days , but I know there were decent quality sit down type restaurants and shopping in the area before that catered to more a middle class rather than lower income as they generally do now.

When a neighborhood goes downhill, then prices go down hill too.

You can see this in other parts of L.A too like MacArthur park area or Koreatown, the used to be fancy places...more recently we've seen areas like Koreatown come back with a lot of investment from Korean investors in those big fancy buildings,etc.

Neighborhoods all over evolve and change with ebb and flow. It's just like with people there are little changes slowly happening every day but you don't notice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles