Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM

908 posts, read 1,292,319 times

Advertisements

If depends where you go. If you are renting an apartment/duplex that's family/individual owned, the requirements are likely less stringent. Often, a 1099 or paystub would likely suffice.

However, corporation owned apartment complexes will typically require 1099/paystub as well as a credit check. Definitely more hurdles to go through to get approved.

It's sad how some places place such a heavy emphasis on credit history enough though someone may have enough cash to pay for apartment/car/etc. even if they don't really use credit cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 01:29 PM

643 posts, read 502,895 times
Would craigslist be a good option to find apartments that are family or individual owned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
If depends where you go. If you are renting an apartment/duplex that's family/individual owned, the requirements are likely less stringent. Often, a 1099 or paystub would likely suffice.

However, corporation owned apartment complexes will typically require 1099/paystub as well as a credit check. Definitely more hurdles to go through to get approved.

It's sad how some places place such a heavy emphasis on credit history enough though someone may have enough cash to pay for apartment/car/etc. even if they don't really use credit cards.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:35 PM

264 posts, read 248,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
Would craigslist be a good option to find apartments that are family or individual owned?
Yes. There is a mix of ownership on craigslist.

Just make sure to be aware of potential scams. Don't send money or provide much personal detail up front before seeing the place so you know it's legit.

It's also tricky to find a place from out of state and before you know what part of town you'd be working in. Can't hurt to look at the prices and neighborhoods at this point though.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,448,437 times
Not always doable realistically, but wouldn't paying an entire lease up front in cash get you in anywhere you could afford?

Always curious about this, for example, if the lease would be for $1,200/month for 12 months, and you gave them a cashiers check for $14,400 plus whatever deposit and move in are, you'd be in like flint right? And best part would be no rent payments for that year, since you would have already made them up front, right?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 AM

I was pre-approved for a credit with a magazine company awhile ago. I had forgot all about it but I called and asked them if having a credit account with them would help me build my credit. In case if I wanted to rent an apartment and the customer service rep said it would.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,225,664 times
I've rented to people with no credit(and doesn't have bad credit). As long as someone has steady income, no eviction history, then it's OK.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:24 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,489,152 times
I knew a guy who was approved for a rental based on his passport - the landlord said anyone who can afford that much international travel can afford this apartment.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:39 PM

But I think having credit is important because a lot of people do check credit. So I'm going to start building my credit history I can't believe people check your credit for renting a room wow.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:38 PM

645 posts, read 744,072 times
Im not sure how nice of an apartment you can get without any credit...Just get a credit card through your bank to establish your credit. Thats what i did...My very first and only credit card. It has given me very good credit as long as you use it and pay it off right away you should be good....

Old 08-13-2016, 07:40 PM

I was pre-approved for credit through a company so hopefully that'll help me build my credit history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
Im not sure how nice of an apartment you can get without any credit...Just get a credit card through your bank to establish your credit. Thats what i did...My very first and only credit card. It has given me very good credit as long as you use it and pay it off right away you should be good....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles