Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:38 AM

55 posts, read 70,883 times

Advertisements

So I read on here about how miserable LA is and how it's crime infested. How many of you have actually been robbed, shot at, or had your car stolen? I myself don't see immigrants as a problem so that's not a negative for me. State where you live in LA and if you've had problems there. I know of course that South Central LA will definitely have crime problems but let's get real how bad is the West side. I mean life isn't a movie people. This isn't Boyz n the Hood here. It's real life. You have to remember in a huge city crime will be a problem. No place is perfect and it seems that some people actually don't realize this. In an area with about 10 million people some stuff is going to happen. I think everyone knows that but come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 09:08 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
I've had my car stolen. It was found stripped to the bone 3 days later. Things being stolen from people and business is the major crime problem I think. I was at CVS and this guy was shoving make up in a back pack right in front of me! I went to tell the cashier and he ran outside. The cashier didn't even care

Old 08-14-2016, 10:03 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladosa View Post
How many of you have actually been robbed, shot at, or had your car stolen? I myself don't see immigrants as a problem so that's not a negative for me.
Whoa there, statistics collector. Nice way to sneak immigrants and violent crime into the same sentence. What, you don't think people with U.S. passports rob and shoot people and steal cars?
Quote:
I mean life isn't a movie people. This isn't Boyz n the Hood here. It's real life.
Was anyone saying it was?
Quote:
You have to remember in a huge city crime will be a problem. No place is perfect and it seems that some people actually don't realize this. In an area with about 10 million people some stuff is going to happen. I think everyone knows that but come on!
You're arguing with an invisible opponent. Nobody is saying the things you're refuting. Nobody intelligent, anyways.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:16 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Whoa there, statistics collector. Nice way to sneak immigrants and violent crime into the same sentence. What, you don't think people with U.S. passports rob and shoot people and steal cars?
Was anyone saying it was?You're arguing with an invisible opponent. Nobody is saying the things you're refuting. Nobody intelligent, anyways.
This.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:09 AM

329 posts, read 627,869 times
LA used to be alot worse in the 80's and 90's. Illegal immigration IS a big problem and LA is an epicenter for illegal immigration. Granted most of them are hard working people but alot of them contribute to high property crime. I used to live in ktown and I still visit often. I was victim of theft, vandalism, and property crime. I know a few people who were victims of hit and run by illegals. Do I need to explain why they're illegals? I know what I see. They cause accidents and run away. Since they had no ID, you can't track them down by the car. Also illegals have to live somewhere, hence higher rent prices everywhere in LA and very high car insurance rates. All those cheap labor they provide, citizens are penalized indirectly from their taxes

Old 08-14-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
Illegal immigration IS a big problem and LA is an epicenter for illegal immigration. Granted most of them are hard working people but alot of them contribute to high property crime.
Apart from illegal immigration being a crime in and of itself, what statistics do you have to back up the assertion that illegals are more likely to commit violent crime?

Disclaimer: I'm not excusing illegal immigration and I'm not enough of a bleeding-heart liberal to say "let them all in, we'll feed them somehow". But this is the exact type of rhetoric Trump trolls feed on and what gets innocent legal immigrants murdered as a proxy for someone else (see Queens, New York, yesterday).

Old 08-14-2016, 11:17 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
LA is now one of the safest cities in the United States. It is more like Tokyo, or the society in "Demolition Man", lol.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:28 PM

55 posts, read 70,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I've had my car stolen. It was found stripped to the bone 3 days later. Things being stolen from people and business is the major crime problem I think. I was at CVS and this guy was shoving make up in a back pack right in front of me! I went to tell the cashier and he ran outside. The cashier didn't even care
I'm sorry for your car. I seen people stolen something, and tell someone about it, but hey, they just walk away.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:14 PM

What's the point of this thread?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:55 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
In 10 years not much knock on wood. A guy that left my friend's apartment right before me in Koreatown got carjacked getting into his car but that was probably 9-10 years ago. As long as you live in a decent neighborhood and have street smarts you'll be fine. I worry more about ISIS then gangs and crime. Its one of the most populted areas of the US and I figure it's a matter of time before one of those nut jobs pulls something here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles