Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times

Advertisements

What about Baldwin Hills? I could be wrong and granted, it's by the oil fields but isn't that area relatively affordable and a good neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM

368 posts, read 413,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
Relatively cheap on price because the cost is in the risk. A classic example of the sort of nabe that desperately house horny types try to convince themselves and others is worth lowering expectations for during house price bubbles like the one we're currently in (which is finally stalling out). The problem with buying in a so called gentrifying area is that you have to put up with ghetto until it gets cleaned up, which could take years, if ever.
Definitely this. City Terrace is a mexican sewer. Personally, I believe this wont be the case 5 years from now but, as of now, Its definitely a mexican / riff raff toilet

Old 08-15-2016, 03:10 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
Relatively cheap on price because the cost is in the risk. A classic example of the sort of nabe that desperately house horny types try to convince themselves and others is worth lowering expectations for during house price bubbles like the one we're currently in (which is finally stalling out). The problem with buying in a so called gentrifying area is that you have to put up with ghetto until it gets cleaned up, which could take years, if ever.
"House horny" lol, I've now heard it all

Old 08-15-2016, 07:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
City Terrace is run down and certainly not for everyone but not particularly dangerous except for the areas near Boyle Heights. There are the typical L.A. property crime issues and gangs certainly exist but as a whole it's not really that unsafe. I wouldn't recommend it for those unfamiliar with living in similar neighborhoods, though.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:45 PM

19 posts, read 48,517 times
Default We will be surprised in retrospect

IMHO, my guess is that when we look back at these areas in 10 years or so, we will be kicking ourselves! If I remember right, Echo Park and DTLA were considered nasty places a decade or so ago, and look now. I can't afford to buy in either of them! I think people do well when they have some vision, buy in a distressed but developing area, and then get involved to help shape the area into a nice peace again. LA is a megatropolis of recycled areas, each having been successful already and many facing severe ups and downs. It is amazing to think about! So, if you like City Terrace and have hope for the area, go for it I say! You might make the difference!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Yeah I'm hearing a lot of outdated information here and there's a lot of underlying racism going on too, which some may not even realise about themselves. Try and confront it and it's classic denial. Anyway City Terrace is a lot safer than DTLA. It has way better crime stats, just look on Trulia. There's already hipsters walking around the hills and I've seen some that live across the park and have been walking their dogs around the hills to the park. I saw a couple with their kid and some cyclists. If you hang around that neighbourhood long enough you will see all of that. The houses that are being flipped look amazing and the views are beautiful. It's actually good that a lot of people are saying negative things because that's leaving more room for others to get in and buy but the houses are still going at such a high rate!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 AM

214 posts, read 214,479 times
I've never been to the area, so I'm only basing it on what I can see on google maps / street view. But my main problem with it is the houses / architecture are just plain UGLY. Lots of 1950's stucco boxes. Yech.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:39 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Yeah I'm hearing a lot of outdated information here and there's a lot of underlying racism going on too, which some may not even realise about themselves. Try and confront it and it's classic denial. Anyway City Terrace is a lot safer than DTLA. It has way better crime stats, just look on Trulia. There's already hipsters walking around the hills and I've seen some that live across the park and have been walking their dogs around the hills to the park. I saw a couple with their kid and some cyclists. If you hang around that neighbourhood long enough you will see all of that. The houses that are being flipped look amazing and the views are beautiful. It's actually good that a lot of people are saying negative things because that's leaving more room for others to get in and buy but the houses are still going at such a high rate!
I dropped off a friend in that neighborhood maybe 5 years ago and it didn't seem terrible back then either. It is really hard to get the feel of a place from superficial glances, but knowing he frequented the area I was biased in favor anyway. He's adventurous but not foolhardy. Great views from that listing. Neighborhoods change really fast too. Too bad you've exposed this one LOL. Then again how many secret places are there really anymore.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 PM

176 posts, read 177,181 times
The Foothills surrounding Sunland/Tujunga are reasonably affordable and there are a lot of nice canyon homes up in the hills. Shadow Hills is marginally affordable.

Lots of homes with FANTASTIC views in ST, like this one.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...2/home/5505654

Old 08-18-2016, 01:23 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
One of my friends bought in Mt Washington 15 years ago at beginning of gentrification and he's still waiting. Same with another that bought near USC 5 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles