Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,079,471 times

Advertisements

I would describe SoCal fashion as consciously lazy. Like intentionally bed-head but even more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:10 PM

508 posts, read 499,065 times
Very casual. It's funny since being the 2nd fashion Capitol of the US and top 5 in the world in fashion we still get scorned by some people lol.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:12 PM

508 posts, read 499,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
The different groups and neighborhoods have slight differences. But I don't think there is anything very specific to SoCal.

But it is rarely very dressy except for formal occasions and some clubs. And it is pretty rare to see lots of skin except at the beach: it isn't as provocative as you might expect.

But on the other hand, it isn't usually ultra casual either: sweat pants, sandals etc.

So basically SoCal fashion is very middle of the road.

Disagree. SoCal sets the fashion standard in a lot of ways after NYC.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:18 PM

1,171 posts, read 924,658 times
Quote:
I guess I'd say that, when walking into an average place around town, away from the beach, it would be very common to see guys and girls wearing shorts or tank tops, but, it would be less common to see people wearing both at the same time. People do it all the time, but, it isn't what the majority of people are doing.

Not that anyone would care at all. No one would care at all. But if there is a philosophy of regular-person SoCal fashion, generally, there is a sense that you don't want to look like you're trying too hard. See this outfit I secretly worked all day on? Oh, I just threw it together.

The majority of people in LA come from a Latino (and often Catholic) background, so that informs regular fashion on the street.
Compared to Florida probably yes.

Where Los Angeles is casual but not that casual like Florida.

Where more you walk away from the beach less people wearing shorts.

Quote:
People do it all the time, but, it isn't what the majority of people are doing.
Los Angeles is more trendy than people not following trends.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
It's all over the map. Last week I went to a gastropub to meet a friend for drinks. I wore jeans, a nice blouse and heels. I felt WAY over dressed. It was all shorts, t shirts and flip flops. Dark jeans are more flattering, that might be the reason why they are more popular. I see lots of skin, all the time. But that could be the area I work in.

See this outfit I secretly worked all day on? Oh, I just threw it together.

That's how any fashionably conscious person is, anywhere. You never want to look like you tried hard. At anything. Isn't that sort of an universal thing "never let them see you sweat" or "underpromise and overdeliver" or maybe not....

But lately, it's been too damn hot to wear much at all.
Light blue jeans was really probably in 90's and starting around 2005 in New York city dark blue jeans and dark jeans was probably and light blue jeans was old school. This than spread to LA.

Probably why light blue jeans is hard to come by in Los Angeles . And why over 95% people in Los Angeles do not wear light blue jeans.

Fashions and trends start in New York city that hit LA than start to hit other cities in the US.

It no different than bell bottoms popular in 60's and 70's and despaired than came back than despaired again.

In New York city light blue jeans seem to be making a come back again.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Flip-flops are very common, but my fashion-conscious teenagers hardly wear flip-flops or sandals of any kind, except at the beach. They wear Converse or the like, pretty much exclusively.

Capris are definitely out.
I thought flip-flops where more common by the beach? Not in the city?

Same with people with long hair by the beach the surfers with long hair but away from the beach it all short hair and clean cut.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 PM

10 posts, read 10,314 times
Jeans and tshirt and do whatever you want with your hair

workout clothes

Old 08-21-2016, 03:11 AM

601 posts, read 750,645 times
Quote:
Not that anyone would care at all. No one would care at all. But if there is a philosophy of regular-person SoCal fashion, generally, there is a sense that you don't want to look like you're trying too hard. See this outfit I secretly worked all day on? Oh, I just threw it together.
This. "messy-chic."

Most of my age group are going for very casual/aloof/thrown together, but at the same time kind of modern and edgy. asymmetrical hemlines, subtle-but-occult jewelry, shaved heads, etc. Androgynous is the name of the game.

Fun fact, if you want to see fashion die in 30 minutes or less, drive from LA to OC.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:20 AM

762 posts, read 606,867 times
Very casual for men and women especially in the summer. Many women do tend to follow trends but to me it's more in the spring/winter (I don't know really what to call that season in LA lol). I was in NYC for a week and the women there are super trendy. They look like they got Vogue and styled themselves out of pictures in the magazines. Just very well dressed and put together. You could tell I was a Californian when I was there. NYers don't seem to wear flip flops or sandals in the city lol. I looked like a tourist (at this time in my life, I don't give a **** if I don't blend into a crowd) wearing shorts, flip flops, and tank tops. Did not see many women in NY dress like me.

I also have to agree with the poster who said women in LA don't show much skin except for at the beach. I've noticed that too. I'll see "candid" pictures of actresses/models (all basically the daughters of rich celebrities hah) showing a lot of skin and wearing really short crop tops. I really don't see many women in LA or really anywhere in CA dressing down the street like that.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:28 AM

Some other things to note and other people can correct me if I'm wrong.

----Graphic t-shirts you don't really see guys or girls in graphic t-shirts in LA like in other cities in the US.

----You don't really see people into counter-culture in LA like Gothic, Emo, punk, gutter punk, rock

----Hardly anyone in LA wears a leather jacket or jean jacket.

----Capris jeans or Capris pants you don't see this in LA.

----People like dark colors over light colors. Hardly anyone in LA wears light colors these days.

Quote:
Very casual for men and women especially in the summer. Many women do tend to follow trends but to me it's more in the spring/winter (I don't know really what to call that season in LA lol). I was in NYC for a week and the women there are super trendy. They look like they got Vogue and styled themselves out of pictures in the magazines
It is funny because the older style light blue jeans is making come back in New York and other cities in the US but never hit LA.

I still see many people in Capris jeans and Capris pants in other US cities but not in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles