Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 05:57 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
I lived there and SF for almost 40 years. Is it OK with you that I give my opinions.
Where did I say it was wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:54 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You mentioned Boston, you can get a middle class SFH within twenty minutes, and acreage witin forty minutes, even rural property for decent prices. Not IN Boston of course
Exactly. Thank you for agreeing.

Areas with a high CoL are like that for a reason, and areas with a low CoL are like that for a reason.

Los Angeles is the same way. You can buy a house in the less desirable areas outside of Los Angeles, but it much more expensive inside the City. Unless by "house" you mean to include condos. Two bedroom condos can be purchased by the middle class in large, desirable cities. A two bedroom condo is middle class housing.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:29 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Exactly. Thank you for agreeing.

Areas with a high CoL are like that for a reason, and areas with a low CoL are like that for a reason.

Los Angeles is the same way. You can buy a house in the less desirable areas outside of Los Angeles, but it much more expensive inside the City. Unless by "house" you mean to include condos. Two bedroom condos can be purchased by the middle class in large, desirable cities. A two bedroom condo is middle class housing.

Fine, I did not realize you had to live directly in the city to enjoy its benefits. as I said, you can have both if you choose, it just involves a minor commute to the great City while also enjoying the benefits of living in a smaller community. In Southern California you need to go pretty far out from the city to get much property and those less desirable places are not so good. My family members got pushed out to the desert from Orange County post recession, along with some bad elements. Near Boston you can still live in a small, peaceful community accessible to the city for a reasonable cost.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Fine, I did not realize you had to live directly in the city to enjoy its benefits. as I said, you can have both if you choose, it just involves a minor commute to the great City while also enjoying the benefits of living in a smaller community. In Southern California you need to go pretty far out from the city to get much property and those less desirable places are not so good. My family members got pushed out to the desert from Orange County post recession, along with some bad elements. Near Boston you can still live in a small, peaceful community accessible to the city for a reasonable cost.

Do you even live in Southern CA? You keep harping on Boston.

Boston and MA is nice in the fall and that's about it, the winters are long and miserable and quite frankly so are the people. The summers are hot and sticky. I have visited several times and they're pretty rude in general. Only time I ever encountered rude airline counter people, was in Boston....twice.

They make New Yorkers look well mannered.

I wouldn't recommend someone moving there, not having any family or friends already there.

And MA is known as "Taxachusetts", it's hardly a low COL state.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:48 PM

155 posts, read 164,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Do you even live in Southern CA? You keep harping on Boston.

Boston and MA is nice in the fall and that's about it, the winters are long and miserable and quite frankly so are the people. The summers are hot and sticky. I have visited several times and they're pretty rude in general. Only time I ever encountered rude airline counter people, was in Boston....twice.

They make New Yorkers look well mannered.

I wouldn't recommend someone moving there, not having any family or friends already there.

And MA is known as "Taxachusetts", it's hardly a low COL state.
Just because you had bad experiences with the people doesn't mean everyone in Boston are rude and miserable. I know lots of people who live in Boston who are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Some of the rudest people i've ever met are from Southern California. Crazy huh.

Also Boston is beautiful during fall and spring. Summers aren't too bad actually, it's humid but not bad as other parts of the country. I hate the humidity but found the humidity in Boston very tolerable.

You're right about the COL. It's a very expensive city. A great place to raise a family though.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:38 PM

145 posts, read 111,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
Just because you had bad experiences with the people doesn't mean everyone in Boston are rude and miserable. I know lots of people who live in Boston who are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Some of the rudest people i've ever met are from Southern California. Crazy huh.

Also Boston is beautiful during fall and spring. Summers aren't too bad actually, it's humid but not bad as other parts of the country. I hate the humidity but found the humidity in Boston very tolerable.

You're right about the COL. It's a very expensive city. A great place to raise a family though.
Ma$$holes. I assume that nickname didn't come out of nowhere?

Old 08-26-2016, 03:46 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Not really. There's The Northeast Corridor (New York City, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia), Los Angeles, SF Bay Area, maybe New Orleans. That's it.
How devastating. I'll have to forward this list to the Tribune and the Sun Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
Great, I can afford a big house in Chicago or Minneapolis. But I'm still in Chicago or MN during the winter (which lasts 6 months).
Winters in the Great Lakes are no joke, but 6 months? Not really.

Average highs recorded at Midway in Chicago:
October: 62.8
November: 48.6
December: 35.3
January: 31.5
February: 35.8
March: 46.8
April: 59.2
May: 70.2

Old 08-26-2016, 04:03 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
I think Seain needs to work for the city of LA in PR dept. Whatever your doing you missed your calling

Old 08-26-2016, 04:06 PM

155 posts, read 164,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
Ma$$holes. I assume that nickname didn't come out of nowhere?
I've been to Massachusetts a lot and never have come across someone who has been unpleasant. Unless all the M*******s are away hiding somewhere.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:45 PM

145 posts, read 111,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
How devastating. I'll have to forward this list to the Tribune and the Sun Times.

Winters in the Great Lakes are no joke, but 6 months? Not really.

Average highs recorded at Midway in Chicago:
October: 62.8
November: 48.6
December: 35.3
January: 31.5
February: 35.8
March: 46.8
April: 59.2
May: 70.2

November - April is winter as far as I'm concerned. When there are 6 days under 32 degrees in April that's colder than any month in LA. And I lived in the area for 4 years, I'm not just pulling this out of my ass.

Days in Chicago with temperature that drops to 10, 20, or 32 °F or lower

10 °F20 °F32 °F

January 9 17 28
February 6 13 24
March 1 5 20
April 0 0 6
May 0 0 0
June 0 0 0
July 0 0 0
August 0 0 0
September 0 0 0
October 0 0 4
November 0 3 14
December 6 13 26
Year 22 51 122

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles