Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:15 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Philly actually has a very low COL compared to LA. Housing is waayyyyy cheaper in Philly than LA and going out seemed to be much cheaper as well IMO. Everything from food to drinks to Uber rides.
Yes, because it's Philly.

It's a dump for the most part, and the people are rude, and the weather sucks most of the year.

Walmart is cheaper than Nordstrom.

Ever hear the expression "when you go cheap, ya get cheap"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:22 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
[quote=FirebirdCamaro1220;45294451]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Even I've heard of "Earthquake weather"
Well clearly you guys are smarter than the USGS! Care to post some links debunking them? Lol....

Old 08-29-2016, 10:31 AM

155 posts, read 164,118 times
Philly is a great city. Sure there are some bad parts but there's bad parts in all cities. I was driving through areas of East LA yesterday and couldn't believe how depressed looking they were.

I love the history of Philly and the culture it has to offer. The only downside is that it's a pretty dirty in a lot of places, especially south and north of the city. I don't know where people keep getting this idea that people in Philly are rude, I find them super friendly and they aren't afraid to tell you like it is. I would rather that then someone pretending to be nice to you!

I think when my wife and I are ready to have kids we will move over to Philly. The suburbs are beautiful and have great schools once you're out of the city itself. My cousin just bought a huge historical house in the burbs for only 400k which is 25 minutes from Center City. The summer months suck but you just deal with it and then enjoy the beautiful fall an spring weather. Plus winters in Philly aren't that bad at all if you like seasons which I do. So anyways im with jessemh431, Philly is a great choice!

Last edited by dylan_505; 08-29-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 08-29-2016, 10:35 AM

155 posts, read 164,118 times
Quote:
Are you talking about "Rock and Roll Ralphs" on Sunset? Used to shop there more than 20 years ago, when I lived in Hollywood. It has always been hectic. You have locals and tourists going there.

To be fair West Hollywood has always been on the snotty snide. You do realize most of those people are transplants and recent ones?

Had you settled in South Pasadena, Studio City(I lived there and people said hello when you walked on side streets and I didn't have a dog), and many other places. You would have a different experience.
Nope, we go to the Ralphs on Ventura in Studio City.

Well we spent our first two months living in Burbank and I didn't find that any better. Most people seemed cold and never wanted to say hello or have a chat.

I did spend the day down in Long Beach yesterday though and found every down there very friendly. Everyone walking their dogs and riding their bikes all had smiles on their faces and looked like they were enjoying life.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:39 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Yes, because it's Philly.

It's a dump for the most part, and the people are rude, and the weather sucks most of the year.

Walmart is cheaper than Nordstrom.

Ever hear the expression "when you go cheap, ya get cheap"?
Lol yeah okay. Ever been there? If you think Philly is a dump you must live in a place like Beverly Hills and literally never go outside the city limits of it. Saying "for the most part" is an easy cop out. LA looks like a third world country...for the most part. LA is full of soulless and boring suburbia...for the most part. LA has nothing close to the urban neighborhoods in Philly. Even the suburbs are absolutely beautiful and nearly all have extremely easy access on the commuter rail trains to Center City. Each also has their own downtown area. Clearly people enjoy paying top dollar for soulless suburbia, but I don't.

I found people in Philly to be much nicer than people in LA. Yeah, they're direct, but when I first moved there, not a single person chose to not help me when I had a question. First time I rode the bus, a nice young lady at the stop with me told me how to board since many systems are different. The SEPTA ticket agents were actually really helpful and helping me figure out which pass to buy. There's a difference between being honest and upfront or being rude. There's also a different way that people interact and joke around in the Northeast than Angelenos just can't seem to understand. I prefer people to be honest and up front, not shady and flakey and talk behind your back. A lot of people prefer that. There are other people who can't handle confrontation or those who act like the entire world is full of rainbows and unicorns. The Northeast has a very distinct personality to it and people either love it or hate it. I love it, millions of others love it.

A lot of people also prefer the change of seasons. You may think literally everyone likes 72 and sunny year round, but not everyone does. I can't say enjoy 100 degrees, but I'll take 85-92 in summer over 72-78. Outside of LA, there are people that actually enjoy hot weather believe it or not. There are even people that enjoy snow *gasp* ! I'll take a snow storm in February over another heatwave.

Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is better per se. I like how my post was pretty civil and kept it to my opinions. Only things I said negative were that Chicago and Philly have better food, more history, and more culture than LA. Chicago and Philly are known as food cities, and I really do think they have better food. You can't argue that LA has more history or culture than Philly, basically the city where the USA was founded, a city with centuries of history and development.

Here we go now with LA thinking that it's the best of the best because somewhere else is cheaper. It's that attitude that was a convincing factor for me to leave. Californians in general have this view that there are two places on earth. 1) California 2) S**t. That worldview has always bothered. Just because a place is not California and is not as expensive as California does not automatically mean it's bad and dumpy. I admitted that Philly still has a crime and blight problem. It's definitely concentrated into pockets and changing rapidly though. Let's not act like LA is some pristine, spotless city with perfectly manicured lawns and model homes throughout.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:59 AM

145 posts, read 111,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Lol yeah okay. Ever been there? If you think Philly is a dump you must live in a place like Beverly Hills and literally never go outside the city limits of it. Saying "for the most part" is an easy cop out. LA looks like a third world country...for the most part. LA is full of soulless and boring suburbia...for the most part. LA has nothing close to the urban neighborhoods in Philly. Even the suburbs are absolutely beautiful and nearly all have extremely easy access on the commuter rail trains to Center City. Each also has their own downtown area. Clearly people enjoy paying top dollar for soulless suburbia, but I don't.

I found people in Philly to be much nicer than people in LA. Yeah, they're direct, but when I first moved there, not a single person chose to not help me when I had a question. First time I rode the bus, a nice young lady at the stop with me told me how to board since many systems are different. The SEPTA ticket agents were actually really helpful and helping me figure out which pass to buy. There's a difference between being honest and upfront or being rude. There's also a different way that people interact and joke around in the Northeast than Angelenos just can't seem to understand. I prefer people to be honest and up front, not shady and flakey and talk behind your back. A lot of people prefer that. There are other people who can't handle confrontation or those who act like the entire world is full of rainbows and unicorns. The Northeast has a very distinct personality to it and people either love it or hate it. I love it, millions of others love it.

A lot of people also prefer the change of seasons. You may think literally everyone likes 72 and sunny year round, but not everyone does. I can't say enjoy 100 degrees, but I'll take 85-92 in summer over 72-78. Outside of LA, there are people that actually enjoy hot weather believe it or not. There are even people that enjoy snow *gasp* ! I'll take a snow storm in February over another heatwave.

Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is better per se. I like how my post was pretty civil and kept it to my opinions. Only things I said negative were that Chicago and Philly have better food, more history, and more culture than LA. Chicago and Philly are known as food cities, and I really do think they have better food. You can't argue that LA has more history or culture than Philly, basically the city where the USA was founded, a city with centuries of history and development.

Here we go now with LA thinking that it's the best of the best because somewhere else is cheaper. It's that attitude that was a convincing factor for me to leave. Californians in general have this view that there are two places on earth. 1) California 2) S**t. That worldview has always bothered. Just because a place is not California and is not as expensive as California does not automatically mean it's bad and dumpy. I admitted that Philly still has a crime and blight problem. It's definitely concentrated into pockets and changing rapidly though. Let's not act like LA is some pristine, spotless city with perfectly manicured lawns and model homes throughout.
If you're so insecure that you literally moved 2,000 miles across the country because "Californians in general have this view that there are two places on earth" then you have other issues.

Enjoy living in s**t.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 AM

1,327 posts, read 723,075 times
Some of the posters in this thread are another reason people don't like California or its residents.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
If you're so insecure that you literally moved 2,000 miles across the country because "Californians in general have this view that there are two places on earth" then you have other issues.

Enjoy living in s**t.
I never liked CA. I don't like suburbs. I don't like driving. I like change of seasons. I like urban living. I like older cities. I like taking public transit and walking. How is that being insecure? I knew that CA was not for me at a young, so I got out when given the chance. Isn't that what all the CA posters on this site always say? "If you don't like it, then leave." I did just that, and now I have issues? Might want to check on your own issues first. Which is it? Should I get out if I don't like LA? Or should I stay and complain about it? Idk which one is better with you. Californian's attitudes were always another issue, though. Even in high school when people discussed where they were applying to colleges, I was actually made fun of for applying to colleges in Chicago and the Northeast. People constantly telling me how ugly and boring and dangerous and cold and anything else negative they think of to make LA sound better. Now that we're all older, I see a lot of my high school friends and classmates moving out actually. But still, that worldview persists. And combine that with LA having basically nothing that I look for in a city, and yeah I did move out. Why stay in a place I don't enjoy that is not urban, not walkable, has subpar public transit, is full of suburbia, has boring weather, and is extremely overpriced with a pretty terrible job market actually?

And now you're going to say "SF is urban." Yeah, it is. But I didn't like it there. I tried it out. I don't deal with egotistical, pretentious, self-entitled hipsters and nerds. I also don't enjoy how the city gets basically no summer whatsoever and if anyone thinks Philly is dirty, they've clearly never been to SF. Philly may have some trash in the streets, but there are not herds of homeless people wandering the city, s***ting and pissing wherever they want to. There aren't corners that smell like actual porta potties 24/7/365. And SF is way too expensive.

I moved to Louisville for school because I got a scholarship. My reasoning was that if I'm not going to absolutely love where I'm living, I might as well pay less to live there and save up money so that I can move somewhere that I really do love. I applied for schools all over and Louisville gave me the best scholarship package. Go ahead and call me stupid or naive or whatever other name you'd like to give me, but I'll take less debt for an equal quality school for just 3 years of my life rather than being in debt for at least an extra decade.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:26 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financialguy View Post
Some of the posters in this thread are another reason people don't like California or its residents.
Funny because others have been insulting Angelenos and Californians in general. It's a two-way street.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Funny because others have been insulting Angelenos and Californians in general. It's a two-way street.
I didn't insult anyone actually until I got insulted. Total one-way street until that happened. I gave my viewpoints on why I left and that apparently wasn't an okay thing to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles