Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

But apparently, some locals think a sales tax increase is a Good Thing, because much of it is paid by wealthy tourists -- and by beach-going outsiders from L.A., Beverly Hills, Culver City, etc. -- so it's a net gain for SM. We locals pay more, but that money is matched by non-locals.
That sort of "screw the tourist" thinking will eventually lead to people simply choosing to avoid Santa Monica. Most of your tourists actually come from other, less wealthy parts of Southern California to enjoy your beach and your promenade. Only a small fraction are wealthy tourists or international travelers and, of those, many are just European or Australian students holidaying on fixed budgets. The truly wealthy people avoid the congestion of Santa Monica and simply go to Malibu, Santa Barbara or Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. However, if the politburo that is the Santa Monica City Council, keeps insisting on reaming the tourists, then don't be surprised when tourists simply quit showing up.

Then maybe Santa Monica will humble itself and suddenly "find" pragmatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post

It's amusing all the outrage people that don't even live there have. Nobody is forcing you to go spend your money in SM. If you don't like it then stay home.
People won't stay home, they'll just find better beach cities to visit. The kind that are less-crowded, have less traffic congestion, cheaper parking and less taxes on tourists. It's not like Santa Monica is the only beach city in Southern California. Trust me, there are plenty of others to choose from!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:24 PM

214 posts, read 214,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
People won't stay home, they'll just find better beach cities to visit. The kind that are less-crowded, have less traffic congestion, cheaper parking and less taxes on tourists. It's not like Santa Monica is the only beach city in Southern California. Trust me, there are plenty of others to choose from!
What a complete joke.

Yes, I'm sure the tourists will ALL choose to go to Redondo Beach because it has 1% less sales tax instead of the place with a giant pier, promenade, Expo Line, etc.

Go poll 100 tourists on 3rd street and ask them if they know what the sales tax is in Santa Monica today. I predict a success rate of <10%.

Do you guys actually think critically before posting this nonsense? Next you're going to tell me everyone is going to STOP GOING TO DISNEYLAND because they raised their prices.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:09 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times
I was just walking my dog listening to radio personality Tim Conway and he was talking about SM. He said he never goes there and this summer it's reached maximum density and the new metro rail there has compounded it 100%. He said groups are meeting on what should be done. He didn't have a answer but he thinks this will be the last summer it's totally grid locked there. As for the sales tax they'd be stupid to pass it but SM always surprises me so they probably will.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
Quote:
And do you rant about going to Italy and then paying a 20% VAT?

If SM wants to raise their taxes that is the RESIDENTS' choice. To think you know what's best for them is hilarious.
You say what's best for "them" as if Santa Monica is a foreign country walled off from the rest of us. See all the points I made in the my previous post.

What is your zip code? Let's check your post history and have every opinion pertaining to a policy outside of your zip code deleted. No one can have an opinion on anything not in their back yard.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
What a complete joke.

Yes, I'm sure the tourists will ALL choose to go to Redondo Beach because it has 1% less sales tax instead of the place with a giant pier, promenade, Expo Line, etc.
Actually, that's already happened! Most of the families around here in my part of the valley quit going to Santa Monica since it has become a major hassle and since its beach offerings are mediocre compared to other locales. Most of the people in my part of L.A. tend to go over to Santa Barbara or Ventura, or down to Huntington and Newport, even though Santa Monica is closer. And they do so for the precise reason that Santa Monica is too crowded, too expensive and the beaches aren't that clean.

Quote:
Do you guys actually think critically before posting this nonsense? Next you're going to tell me everyone is going to STOP GOING TO DISNEYLAND because they raised their prices.
Do you know what "critical thinking" actually is? It's the ability to see different sides of a situation, analyze each one and then come to a conclusion based on said analysis. As per your Disneyland example, there are many people who quit going precisely because they've raised their prices.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Actually, that's already happened! Most of the families around here in my part of the valley quit going to Santa Monica since it has become a major hassle and since its beach offerings are mediocre compared to other locales. Most of the people in my part of L.A. tend to go over to Santa Barbara or Ventura, or down to Huntington and Newport, even though Santa Monica is closer. And they do so for the precise reason that Santa Monica is too crowded, too expensive and the beaches aren't that clean.

Do you know what "critical thinking" actually is? It's the ability to see different sides of a situation, analyze each one and then come to a conclusion based on said analysis. As per your Disneyland example, there are many people who quit going precisely because they've raised their prices.
And guess what has happened to Disneyland's revenue?

Here's what you clearly don't understand. It doesn't matter if 1% of the people stop going if you raise the price 10%. Except it doesn't even just stay flat. MORE people are visiting Disneyland, Santa Monica, etc every year.

The event included the release of tourism facts and figures from the last year. The 2014 total visitor volume increased to 7.9 million from 7.3 million in 2013.
In 2014, visitor spending increased by about 5.8 percent to $1.72 billion.
http://smdp.com/santa-monica-tourism...isitors/148146

And I can assure you it increased again in 2015.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Santa Monica is owed an estimated $90 million in taxes from businesses

MuniServices Wins Santa Monica Contract to Audit, Collect Unpaid Taxes | PublicCEO

Makes you wonder if the sales tax hike is them passing the cost along to consumers because they failed to do their job of collecting that money .
They are now hiring this company to collect the $90 MILLION they are owed .

Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Santa Monica is owed an estimated $90 million in taxes from businesses

MuniServices Wins Santa Monica Contract to Audit, Collect Unpaid Taxes | PublicCEO

Makes you wonder if the sales tax hike is them passing the cost along to consumers because they failed to do their job of collecting that money .
They are now hiring this company to collect the $90 MILLION they are owed .
I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount of that $90 is from Air BnB rentals.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:35 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
In article they break it up somewhat

Id say the 44 hotels likely owe more than the " home sharing businesses"

$30.8 million from 23,000 licensed businesses,
$11 million from 200 private and public parking facilities, and
$51 million from 44 hotels and 120 home-sharing businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles