Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:21 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

I'm not cantankerous. I'm a curmudgeon.

If I wanted a small car I'd get a Beamer with an auto transmission. But what I want I already have, a 2007 4x4 SUV that is fun to drive and serve all my needs. Total cost: nothing.

I'm happy with the car I got and living in the place I live, and I don't hear any boom boxes, or so rarely it's merely a passing, temporary annoyance. If I got upset at stuff like that I'd be upset all the time.

I'll say again, there is no solution to boom boxes or ghetto blasting. Law enforcement is too busy looking out for people who want to kill LE, and otherwise enforcing more important crimes (boom boxes violate the California Motor Vehicle Code), and can't be bothered about loud music unless it's late night violation of the noise abatement rules (quiet hours) and even then they won't show for 1-2 hours on the average.

The only solution to the boom box problem is to endure it until they move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Well it works for me. I live in NW LA Co. outside of any incorporated city in a RB area (rich ......)
A retirement community. That explains it

Old 09-06-2016, 12:54 PM

Nope, not a retirement community. I live in a community that only the affluent can afford. No SFRs under a half million.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Nope, not a retirement community. I live in a community that only the affluent can afford. No SFRs under a half million.
That describes a lot of places in L.A. County where you can find plenty of the behaviors that you don't like. That describes the entire westside, for one thing, even Palms and Del Rey's cheapest SFRs are considerably more than that.
Admittedly, retirement communities are going to be the places where those behaviors will be the rarest. Money won't insulate you from the problems, but insulating yourself from younger people will.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
LOL, It is getting harder and harder to find a home under $500,000. My neighborhood of homes built in the 1960's is approaching the $500,000 mark.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:31 PM

145 posts, read 111,064 times
Quote:
Wtf! 1/2 million is now considered affluent? I've heard it all.

I guess I'm now affluent too!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post

Far as I'm concerned if you can afford a $500K house you must be affluent. Property taxes alone amounts to $8K/year. And $500K is the BOTTOM end. In fact most of the SCV is passing $500K now. I just did a recent search for a friend who was considering moving to SCV and she would be hard put to find much of anything under $450K.

Most of the properties in my area are at/over $1M. I'm lucky I bought when I did. I live so high I can see the poor people living in the $450K houses! LOL!

Old 09-06-2016, 05:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post

Funny, that not even a $1million home is considered affluent now. When I was growing up, you knew someone made it when they moved to a home on at least an acre with a pool and tennis court or some other kind of sports court, or they moved to an ocean front home. 5,000 square feet or larger. Now those homes seem to be much larger. 9,000 square feet and up. I would say that it takes maybe closer to $2million and up to get the same lifestyle as a simple Million dollar home used to have. Ocean front in Oxnard is $3mill and up.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:42 PM

Somebody should define affluent.

All I know is that when I got in to an uppity area, I'm pretty sure I bought one of the last houses I could ever afford. Houses in middle of Santa Clarita now go for what I paid. You can probably still buy a house under $500K in Canyon Country with a view of an on-ramp to CA-14 for under $500K. All but 1-2 of them were over $450K. There's something like 48 houses (listings 7 days old) in all of Santa Clarita Valley asking at/under $500K. (I had a Realtor run the listings for a friend who is considering moving to SCV.)

Hey, you want to have a laugh? The house I sold about 4 years ago in Northridge adjacent to Van Nuys & Reseda sold for a bit over $300K. The "Zestimate" (Zillow.com) says it is worth a bit under $480K today! And I'd call it "uppa" Van Nuys not Northridge.

And we didn't need TV then. You could entertain yourself listening to boom boxes driving by and watching the ghetto birds fly.

Now Virgina, I'll tell you what this is all about. Our government has been lying to us about inflation. They've been constantly printing money "to stimulate the economy." The house I sold for $300K now worth $480K didn't gain any money at all. The truth of the matter is that a dollar today is worth about 2/3 of what a dollar was worth about 4 years ago. Just 4 years!!! My old house is still worth the same, it's the money that is worthless.

The national debt about doubled in the last 8 years. Just Google "national debt clock" ... I'm tired of typing.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:43 PM

145 posts, read 111,064 times
Quote:
Somebody should define affluent.

All I know is that when I got in to an uppity area, I'm pretty sure I bought one of the last houses I could ever afford. Houses in middle of Santa Clarita now go for what I paid. You can probably still buy a house under $500K in Canyon Country with a view of an on-ramp to CA-14 for under $500K. All but 1-2 of them were over $450K. There's something like 48 houses (listings 7 days old) in all of Santa Clarita Valley asking at/under $500K. (I had a Realtor run the listings for a friend who is considering moving to SCV.)

Hey, you want to have a laugh? The house I sold about 4 years ago in Northridge adjacent to Van Nuys & Reseda sold for a bit over $300K. The "Zestimate" (Zillow.com) says it is worth a bit under $480K today! And I'd call it "uppa" Van Nuys not Northridge.

And we didn't need TV then. You could entertain yourself listening to boom boxes driving by and watching the ghetto birds fly.

Now Virgina, I'll tell you what this is all about. Our government has been lying to us about inflation. They've been constantly printing money "to stimulate the economy." The house I sold for $300K now worth $480K didn't gain any money at all. The truth of the matter is that a dollar today is worth about 2/3 of what a dollar was worth about 4 years ago. Just 4 years!!! My old house is still worth the same, it's the money that is worthless.

The national debt about doubled in the last 8 years. Just Google "national debt clock" ... I'm tired of typing.
Yeah that's not true.

Per CPI calculator from the BLS. Inflation has not been going bananas.

$1 in 2016 equals $1.05 in 2012, not $1.50 as you claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles