Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 AM

317 posts, read 403,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
That may very well be true but, were talking about Boyle Heights. Boyle Heights IS a Mexican sewer, absolutely infested & entrenched in a deep seeded gang culture. That entire area is identical! BH, East Los Angeles, City Terrace etc etc. Ghetto as F%$k.

No matter what pair of 1000$ rose colored glasses you choose to wear, THAT is the truth about those places. They are Ghetto Hoods infested w/ Mexican gangs & a heavy Mexican gang culture. Period. Driving through those towns are like driving through a huge tailgate party @ Doyers Stadium. I believe we all know the quality of "most" types that frolic about there.

NOBODY, except THEIR type & THEIR people want to be around disgusting filth like that. Let them go play Cholo Kings out in The Sultan Sea. Good riddance. Bulldoze it all & start fresh, which is what will happen in the next 10 years, anyhow. Its coming. Big $$$$$ will always have the loudest voice. Were all aware of the skyrocketing LA property values & God isnt making any more land.
I'd like to bulldoze your home you racist ****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Hipsters or yuppies can be annoying but they usually don't kill innocent people like gangbangers usually do .
Hipsters might kill you with irony but I'd take that over a bullet .

Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is there an actual resistance to the aspects of gentrification OTHER than increasing rents, or is it just a handful of whiny SJWs?
I saw something on the Serve the People site about how they were proud how the older generation fought for public housing so I'm thinking a lot of them might be living in public housing with their parents or Abuelitas for free and not even paying rent . I really wouldn't be surprised .

Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
No I'm against people that seem to know exactly what OTHER people should do.

I. E. "Boyle Heights needs to gentrify"

No it doesn't. The world won't end if it doesn't. What if the majority of people that live there like it the way it is? People vote with their feet and change will come to the area when the demographics change. Not before. And not because jm1982 thinks it needs to.

I always find it amusing there are so many people crying about everything that's wrong with LA and yet I'm sure they are absolutely not active in their communities or local government.
Exactly, not only that I find most people in LA tend to pretty much stay in their own areas. I even do it, I don't go to West LA, went to Santa Monica twice in the last two years. It's mostly due to convenience and traffic....LOL.

So all these people concerned about making everything look the same, are they really going to start driving from say the West Valley or Marina Del Ray to Boyle Heights for coffee and an art gallery? No they're not. I mean why would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Can't wait until more art galleries , gastropubs and art galleries open in Boyle heights . It's going to be great!

Make Boyle Heights Great Again!
Right, unless you live in Pasadena or some community close to BH, you're not going to go there anyway. And neither are most people, and if they do go it will be a one time thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I say we get rid of more horrible people such as yourself.
I second the motion.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is there an actual resistance to the aspects of gentrification OTHER than increasing rents, or is it just a handful of whiny SJWs?
Once again, do you not get that not everyone rents in Boyle Heights? I have already mentioned two people I know who inherited and are living in their childhood homes. You think they're the only two?

Do you not get that people bought houses there in the 50s and they have been passed down? The house are paid for. Most people don't leave houses that are paid for unless they want to sell.

Not everyone is renting in Boyle Heights. Seems to be lost on some here.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:38 AM

True not everyone in BH rents , but why would a home owner want the existing status quo if more development and more higher income people moving in would mean their property would go up in value ?
I'm thinking it's more people living in public housing or paying subsidized rents versus homeowners

If they are homeowners then they probably don't realize much about the economy or how the housing market works .

Let's say their paid off home is worth 400,000 which is prob on low end
Even a 20 % increase would be $80,000 for them

I could see people being upset if property taxes go way up but with prop 13 their property prices stay low .

Old 09-07-2016, 11:44 AM

I wish these types of businesses and people would move into my area .
I was born in LA and have seen what happens to property values when that happens .
id welcome them with open arms .
I was glad a little bakery opened in what used to be an illegal marijuana shop for a long time .

It's not hip or trendy but was nice to see something like that open .

Old 09-07-2016, 02:14 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Funny there are so many people against IMPROVING neighborhoods .
Whitewashing neighborhoods =/= improving neighborhoods. Big difference.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
Truth: Boyle Heights, by & large IS a ghetto toilet. Just driving through there in broad daylight WREAKS of THUG/GANG culture. Countless bald headed men covered in head/face/neck tattoos, all flatulenty daunting the latest RAIDERS thug gang gear w/ my personal favorite, the white tube socks pulled up over their knees. Yah...thats not a dead giveaway. lmao. The gang graffiti alone is STAGGERING. Not too mention, its also largely run down & dirty.

Id be curious to know just how many of the great defenders of BH, in this thread would actually MOVE to that toilet bug s%$#hole & proudly call it THEIR casa. Haha! Yah, right.

Im ALL for ridding human filth like that, completely out of Los Angeles. Its disgusting. Go play Gangster someplace else, FAR away. Also, who would possibly want to look at eye-sores like thug graffiti & rackety buildings & dirty streets everyday? Really? Take that filth elsewhere. Out with the old & in with the new, I say. Bulldozers were built for a reason
In your case, I'm all for turning your neighborhood into Leimert Park #2 since you want to be all racist and whatnot, you Archie Bunker wannabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I say we get rid of more horrible people such as yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
I'd like to bulldoze your home you racist ****
Yes Lawd!

Old 09-07-2016, 03:14 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
All this bickering aside, the bottomline is economic livelihoods.

I understand why some BH residents (mostly renters) would be angry about certain newcomers and new businesses because of the prospects of rising rents that could force them to relocate.

It's another thing if people are moving to BH because it's one of the only places they can afford to live, not because they are trying to get on some sort of hip gentrification bandwagon and fulfill some sort of desire to "transform" a neighborhood.

In fact, I met someone in DC recently whose brother, an artist, was looking to move to LA and was specifically looking at BH because that was one of the few places he would be able to afford to live in LA. I was surprised someone in DC had heard of BH, but apparently it's getting on the radar. Ironically, artists can't afford Arts District anymore so they're looking across the river at BH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles