Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yep, we used to take our quarter, buy our 12 cent ticket to the movie and go to the candy store next door cause we could buy a candy bar and a lot of penny stuff...Oh, and does anyone remember a candy bar called UNO bars? I ask this of friends and no one remembers. They were a dime though, but oh, so good!!!

Nita
I remember! U-No Candy Bars - Candy you ate as a kid®

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
I, too, recall UNO bars and I agree with Fontucky, they were not my favorite. The one candy bar I miss is Butter Brickle. Heath bars are nowhere close in taste. See's has a chocolate covered toffee candy that is close to a Butter Brickle. Perfect for Christmas.
I just remember Butter Brickle ice cream. One of my favorites. Anyone else remember small bottles (8 oz. I think) of Coca Cola for a nickel from a machine that were so cold they'd be slush at the top and would give you a headache?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Apparently it was U-NO and they're still available: U-No Candy Bars - Candy you ate as a kid®

EDIT: Note to self: Always read the post/s on the last page.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Does anyone remember when Bob Crane did morning drive on KNX 1070? I do.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 AM

339 posts, read 777,415 times
Even if U-NO candy bars are still available, I'll pass. When Bob Crane was at KNX, KFWB was still a Top 40 radio station. The good old days of B. Mitchell Reed (BMR) and Lord Tim.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I remember Uno bars. I recall not being overly fond of them.
I wasn't crazy over them the first few times I ate them, maybe cause they cost a dime instead of a nickel, but after a few years, as I matured from being a silly 10 year old to an almost teen, at 12, I learned to appreciate the better things is life...

Nita

Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I remember! U-No Candy Bars - Candy you ate as a kid®

I just remember Butter Brickle ice cream. One of my favorites. Anyone else remember small bottles (8 oz. I think) of Coca Cola for a nickel from a machine that were so cold they'd be slush at the top and would give you a headache?
yep, remember the ice cream, loved it, but I don't remember the candy bar that was mentioned: hubby might. And, of course, the 8 oz coke. A few months ago the entire family was here for about 3 days and they all drink something different, from diet this to xx kind of beer. After buying 3 kinds of beer, 2 kinds of wine and a bunch of soda I saw Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper on sale in 8 oz cans. Well, I bought some and guess what? Our grandkids( grown, by the way) were appalled to think anything could be that smal. I don't think they beleived me when I told them sodas used to come in 8 oz bottles all the time.

Nita

Old 12-26-2009, 08:19 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,134 times
Remember these candy bars and other favorite causes of tooth decay among kids?:

Look (verrrry chewy)
5th Avenue
Hollywood
Mars Bar
Chick-o-Stick
Good & Plenty
Mike & Ike
Abba-Zabba
Sugar Daddy
Sugar Babies
Cup o'Gold (Mom's favorite!)
Caravelle (from the people who brought you Almond Joy and Mounds)
Big Hunk
Charms

With the exception of the Caravelle, every one of these candy bars could be purchased for a nickel each. Hostess Twinkies, Hostess cupcakes, Zingers, all for a dime each.

That was good stuff.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:30 PM

339 posts, read 777,415 times
Loved Hollywood bars. Most of the others are (fortunately) still available.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:14 AM

687 posts, read 1,118,797 times
Big thing when I was a kid was those huge jawbreakers you could get from a gas station, Sweet tarts and beef jerkey.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
This thread brought back a lot of memories. Grew up in Westchester at the start of the baby boom. It's amazing to look back and think of all the freedom we had then to go out on our own.
I used to love the Coast Federal Savings commericials with the bunny putting the money in the bank. Are they still around? And Felix Chevrolet.
My favorite place to go was Blums in Beverly Hills. Sometimes we could talk my parents into stopping after a night at the movies or visiting people. They had the most incredible ice cream sundaes.
We saved blue chip stamps and green stamps and cash register receipts from one of the groceries. We got our bread from the Helms truck and cookies from Van de Camps. Milk was delivered by Edgemar.
My friends and I would ride our bikes up to the service station at Manchester and Emerson and they had a coke machine there that had the coldest and best tasting cokes I ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles