Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 10,440 times

Advertisements

There is not such thing as a "real LA" it depends on what your socioeconomic level is, and what your lifestyle and interests are and what you are looking to find in the area. You can find whatever you are looking for here. It's all here somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 831 times
Smile Some of everything...

LA's diversity is what I like most about it. I've lived here since birth 31 years ago, so here's what LA means to me, some of everything: Living in the oak-lined suburbs of Pasadena, going to Downtown LA just a 10 minute drive away and being in a different world including sidewalk traffic, amazing skyscrapers, and authentic ethnic restaurants in ethnic and cultural districts, then driving just 20 minutes from that to Malibu to lie under a warm sun hearing nothing but rolling waves and watching dolphins in the ocean and a fiery sunset on the horizon of the beach with palm trees swaying in the wind and lush green misty mountains behind me. And then it's also snowy Christmastimes with relatives in a Big Bear cabin, sledding and skiing and driving by icy pine forests, even having to shovel snow to be able to drive out to the quaint main town. And then also walking in Joshua Tree National Park in the desert and passing a large desert tortoise in its natural habitat. And being in Downtown San Dimas and walking on clapboard sidewalks of buildings still in use since the Old West. No, I don't work for the tourist board, this is my honest experience, and I could go on and on.
Obviously like any large area with a large population there are parts one would rather not be in, even, of course, ghettos.
As for intellect, it depends where and who, but certainly (!) -- for instance in Pasadena where I grew up there's an emphasis on good school education for one's kids (think old money families and a Midwest-like look and feel) [I made that sound snobbier than a lot of Pasadena actually is, though parts of it are really to be honest] and in Downtown LA there are crowded book stores and huge libraries, art galleries, and more culture than I can even begin to describe -- DTLA is reminiscent of NYC whether people get mad at me on here for saying so or not, I'll just tell them to come back and dare to repeat themselves after weaving between fast pedestrians while passing amazing Art Deco skyscrapers and brick apartment buildings going through the Old Bank District then taking one of many crowded subway lines to Broadway Ave in the Theater District then going to an authentic Japanese restaurant in Little Tokyo then watching a dancing dragon go down the street and Taiko drummers at is New Years Parade, or to historic international Grand Central Market, then see a first-rate musical or opera, then to one of the many deli chains like historic Coles or Phillipe's (birthplace of the French Dip sandwich), then to a Prohibition-era speakeasy for a drink, just for starters. Back to the intellect thing, how about Caltech in Pasadena or, NASA/JPEL in La Canada?
As for laid-back, it's easy to forget when you're hear, but LA is historically world-famous for this ASPECT of itself that's 100% present a short drive away along its coastline. The BAYWATCH-type beaches are present like Venice, Huntington, and Santa Monica, but then you also have the incredibly beautiful, relaxing beach areas that reflect the Hawaii-like side of things here -- after all, this gave birth to GIDGET, The Beach Boys and other bands like Dick Dale & the Del-Tones playing instrumental surf music -- one gets to experience this aspect by going a short distance and being in a paradise with breathtaking scenery to unwind on weekends in places including Malibu (where surfing was first introduced in about 1920 originally from Hawaii); Balboa in Newport Beach, San Clemente [Orange County but North part of it near LA County and definitely considered Greater LA]; Catalina Island [1 hour scheduled boat ride from Long Beach]; and (adjacent county, but not far from Malibu) from Ventura to Santa Barbara.
As a matter of fact, after all this time I'm still constantly discovering new and exciting places in this gigantic backyard. One last thing, the stereotypical side of LA one sees on a lot of movies and TV shows exists but really it's just within Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and West LA excluding, contrary to popular belief, Malibu and Calabasas, in which the vast majority of residents are not celebrities and the celebrities are present but not show-off-y and only are there because the open spaces make it easier to have a high security gated mansion -- really when I think of Malibu I think of incredible natural scenery epitomizing the tropics and really laid-back vibe and people, and when I think of Calabasas I think of slow pace with horse ranches, rolling hills with brown grass, Old Town Calabasas with wooden buildings, and historic Sagebrush Cantina and Sundance Saloon.
LA is many, many very different things and sides to itself in a truly gigantic area. It's no wonder many tourists come and stay in one place and feel confused or have a completely different experience than that of a different group of tourists, and ditto for those residents who choose to stay in just one small part of it and don't know what lies beyond that part.
In summary, the laid-back culture is definitely there on the coastline but not inland; there's plenty of intellect in it; and there's much, MUCH more history, culture, and contrasts in it including nature than TV and movies of the last 20 years would have an outsider believe.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:45 AM

817 posts, read 752,818 times
^ that's a little dream mean if you ask me, I guess you've had a charmed life.

The "real L.A." to me is cool, but vastly different for a transplant. With no family, and no equity passed down, it's more like a sea of endless things to do, but a lot of hard work, commuting, traffic, and lining landlords pockets.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:24 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
OP , too many stereotypes . I never felt that people in L.A were laid back ... But I could see how New Yorkers might think that .
Weather is pretty mild compared to the rest of the country but it's not like a steady temperature . Also the valley for example where over 1.2 million people live gets considerably hotter in the summer . Yesterday in the valley ( San Fernando valley ) it was in the high 90s and rainy .. Kind of reminded me of South Florida weather .

Yes traffic in L.A is notoriously bad but it's crappy in some other major cities too .

It also depends on what part of L.A , traffic on the Westside is the worst .
If you live and work in another part of L.A you can avoid that .

L.A has changed quite a bit . I remember going to the wholesale district in downtown la . It was not a hip area at all. Now downtown la is arguably the hippest part of town.
The other areas east of the Westside , echo park , Koreatown , etc have also become more desirable and hip rather than just being viewed as gang infested or dangerous .

The valley also I'm seeing develop , lots of new building and businesses coming in .
Areas that people in the past turned their nose up at are now getting into bidding wars to buy property .

LA county is massive and the city alone is massive .

For example Lancaster and Palmdale are in Los Angeles county but they are less developed areas although growing .
Not sure if anyone living there says they are from L.A

Many do commute from those areas to work in L.A though .

Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 PM

41 posts, read 54,846 times
If you search for Los Angeles in Google Maps (not Los Angeles County) you'll see the borders of the city shaded in color. You'll also see the incorporated cities like Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are not shaded. So I would imagine that the "real" LA is anything in that shaded space, including San Pedro and the San Fernando Valley.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
LA is not laid back in the traditional sense. Look at the traffic, COL, etc. Sure it has nicer weather, but if you're coming to escape a fast-paced city...you're looking at the wrong place.
LA is a lot more laid back than other parts of the country. That includes the northeast and where you are in FL. You want talk bad manners?

I was back east in 2014, on a Saturday morning in a NJ suburb of NYC they're honking horns in the parking lot of a supermarket(there was really no reason for it).

Doesn't happen at Vons even during busy times. I even said to my cousin what's the deal with horns, her response "this is New Jersey"....LOL.

I saw the same thing inside, rude behavior, again it was a Saturday morning, most people are off for the weekend, it was a nice day weather wise, why so nasty?

You can't help but notice the difference.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:25 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LA is a lot more laid back than other parts of the country. That includes the northeast and where you are in FL. You want talk bad manners?

I was back east in 2014, on a Saturday morning in a NJ suburb of NYC they're honking horns in the parking lot of a supermarket(there was really no reason for it).

Doesn't happen at Vons even during busy times. I even said to my cousin what's the deal with horns, her response "this is New Jersey"....LOL.

I saw the same thing inside, rude behavior, again it was a Saturday morning, most people are off for the weekend, it was a nice day weather wise, why so nasty?

You can't help but notice the difference.
Hey, relax. I haven't lived in FL in over 6 years. I was simply saying that LA is not laid back in the traditional sense.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:16 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
LA is mostly "working class", either if its 5$ an hour or 140k a year. The real affluent people that flaunt the wealth is pretty limited to certain areas or time of day/week.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM

53 posts, read 39,268 times
ty for the answers I increased your reps, seems clear the "laid-back" is a beach idea. I've been to Milwaukee and to describe L.A. as being like that city with palm trees really gives it a certain feel. Not a lot of is-hollywood-egotistical answers, should have put that question 1st. Did not know they have dolphins in the Malibu waters.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xemj View Post
ty for the answers I increased your reps, seems clear the "laid-back" is a beach idea. I've been to Milwaukee and to describe L.A. as being like that city with palm trees really gives it a certain feel. Not a lot of is-hollywood-egotistical answers, should have put that question 1st. Did not know they have dolphins in the Malibu waters.
Funny you mention this because I moved from Milwaukee to Hollywood not too long ago. The two cities are surprisingly similar, with the obvious differences being the weather & amenities that come with a population of 5M+. Both on the friendly side, more laid-back, very diverse, big art/entertainment scenes.

...but in MKE you can actually buy a home. I sold my beautiful downtown on-the-river condo for $170k which was just 4 years old....and now that I'm shopping the LA market, it would demand ~$800k here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles