Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 11:11 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,049 times

Advertisements

The Halloween season is here, and I thought this would be a fun and interesting thread.

Last week, after coming from The Last Bookstore on 5th and Spring, I noticed an old hotel up the block from where my mom and I parked. From where we were, only the backside of the hotel was in sight. On the back, there was an old signage that read "ROOMS $1.00 AND UP." I found this to be very fascinating (I love Los Angeles history and history in general. I also have a thing for old, historic buildings).

I went home and googled Hotel Barclay (the name of the hotel), and I found out it's the oldest operating hotel in Los Angeles (opened in 1897, I believe). I also found out a few brutal murders took place there. This reminded me of the infamous Hotel Cecil, now renamed to Stay on Main (like that's going to change its bad reputation), the site of multiple murders, suicides, serial killers, a woman in the water pipes, and rumored to be the last place Elizabeth Short, AKA the 'Black Dahlia" was seen before she was butchered.

The Alexandria Hotel, also located in Downtown, is also said to be very creepy, as there is a walled off area in the hotel which hasn't been seen in decades, apparently.

Are there any other hotels in Downtown that are also said to be eerie and/or where murders have taken place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 11:21 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,229 times
St. George Hotel and the Hotel Figueroa come to mind. Murders, suicides, arson, etc.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:05 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,778 times
Unless you've already stumbled upon it, you might find this interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/la.curbed...?client=safari

Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 PM

258 posts, read 195,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Are there any other hotels in Downtown that are also said to be eerie and/or where murders have taken place?
You can say that for just about any pre-war or earlier turn of the century hotel even buildings.

Last edited by My Posse on Broadway; 10-03-2016 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Posse on Broadway View Post
You can say that for about any pre-war or earlier turn of the century hotel even buildings.
This response has nothing to do with the premise of my post, which was a question specifically about Downtown Los Angeles.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,795 times
Nothing comes close to that real murder hotel in chicago. The one where the serial killer actually modifed the plans to have secret doors and blind rooms where he would torture and kill people in various ways. Them he had a chute that would dump the bodies down into the basement to rott.

HH holmes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
This response has nothing to do with the premise of my post, which was a question specifically about Downtown Los Angeles.
??
There are lots of places that are like that there. Not hard to find and not only there.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
The Halloween season is here, and I thought this would be a fun and interesting thread.

Last week, after coming from The Last Bookstore on 5th and Spring, I noticed an old hotel up the block from where my mom and I parked. From where we were, only the backside of the hotel was in sight. On the back, there was an old signage that read "ROOMS $1.00 AND UP." I found this to be very fascinating (I love Los Angeles history and history in general. I also have a thing for old, historic buildings).

I went home and googled Hotel Barclay (the name of the hotel), and I found out it's the oldest operating hotel in Los Angeles (opened in 1897, I believe). I also found out a few brutal murders took place there. This reminded me of the infamous Hotel Cecil, now renamed to Stay on Main (like that's going to change its bad reputation), the site of multiple murders, suicides, serial killers, a woman in the water pipes, and rumored to be the last place Elizabeth Short, AKA the 'Black Dahlia" was seen before she was butchered.

The Alexandria Hotel, also located in Downtown, is also said to be very creepy, as there is a walled off area in the hotel which hasn't been seen in decades, apparently.

OMG, yes! The Cecil! For a time I was hooked on learning about all the creepy things there! The Elisa Lam case is the strangest case, still unsolved. If that took place 20 years ago, I could just imagine Robert Stack narrated the story on Unsolved Mysteries.

That, and the fact that Richard Ramirez lived there, then an Austrian serial killer who wanted to pay homage to him, stayed there and killed a couple people. Multiple suicides jumping out of windows, one which landed on a passerby.

Even the most rational person, I could imagine would get the willies from learning about the Cecil!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Even the most rational person, I could imagine would get the willies from learning about the Cecil!
lol.. the most rational person would never step foot there.

Last edited by My Posse on Broadway; 10-03-2016 at 11:16 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Posse on Broadway View Post
??
There are lots of places that are like that there. Not hard to find and not only there.
Why don't you actually list a DTLA hotel instead of just repeatedly saying "there are lots out there..."?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles