Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 02:16 PM

437 posts, read 811,213 times

Advertisements

Keep race and politics out of California ! If you don't appreciate diversity get out Of California .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Gun control is set in Sacramento not DC, and state taxation policies affect us at least as much as federal if not more. Trump's not running for governor.

Also under Trump the feds would continue to spend like drunken sailors, unlike the other GOP candidates. Trump now talks about the debt crisis more but he doesn't have a plan to deal with it (whereas most of the other GOP candidates did, other than Huckabee and Carson). He really is a pretty horrible candidate. Yet I may vote for him anyways, just because he's slightly better than Hillary.
Uh no. Federal law "trumps" state and local law. If the federal government changes any gun laws then they over ride any CA gun laws. Not that it matters since we already have some of the most unconstitutional gun laws in the country

Old 09-28-2016, 03:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Uh no. Federal law "trumps" state and local law. If the federal government changes any gun laws then they over ride any CA gun laws. Not that it matters since we already have some of the most unconstitutional gun laws in the country
I know. I would actually like to see some of those changes happen. I highly doubt they will though. The big changes that have the most possibility of happening under Trump in California would be cutting off funding to sanctuary cities (Los Angeles and San Francisco would both go with losing the funding rather than bending, at least under their current mayors) and rounding up and interning Muslims and confiscating their property (would have a MAJOR effect on L.A.). Even these things, though, I'm skeptical about them happening. Remember Trump would have few friends in Congress and the Supreme Court, and thus Congress and the SCOTUS would wind up doing their jobs again and block most of what he proposes.

For the most part, it would be "business as usual" until state and local government change.

Now, if Trump was running for governor, it would be a whole different story.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:11 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
Keep race and politics out of California ! If you don't appreciate diversity get out Of California .
Ermwhat?

Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDawgs View Post
What in the flaming fk? So after we round em all up, I guess we better start building the ovens next, huh.

What's sad is this is the type of thinking going on from someone in the LA area who actually probably knows and comes into contact with Muslims regularly. Imagine how many loons there are in the AK or MS forums.

The other sad thing is it's "Conservatives" who support these type of fascist policies. When they are clearly in violation of constitutional rights and an expansion of big government.
That is a Trump policy I don't want to see enacted. However I do think there is a very good chance he will try to enact it. Especially because of the money to be made, and especially if there is another terrorist attack. My Tunisian neighbors are in a state of panic as are the many members of the Westside Persian community whom I know and work with - many are trying to figure out how to get out of the US and are genuinely scared that they will meet the fate of the Japanese in 1942 California.

I do think, however, there would be some obstacles to this going through.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:29 PM

508 posts, read 504,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That is a Trump policy I don't want to see enacted. However I do think there is a very good chance he will try to enact it. Especially because of the money to be made, and especially if there is another terrorist attack. My Tunisian neighbors are in a state of panic as are the many members of the Westside Persian community whom I know and work with - many are trying to figure out how to get out of the US and are genuinely scared that they will meet the fate of the Japanese in 1942 California.

I do think, however, there would be some obstacles to this going through.
ya think?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Actually, it's the very definition of Islamophobia. Whether or not it's reasonable is a subject of a different discussion.
Actually fundamentalism, whether Christian or Muslim, is a threat to liberal democracy. You probably experience it only on the federal level (in a subdued form) when Republicans are in power, but I have to live with these extremists and the laws that they pass every day here in Texas.

It's not a good day when these fundamentalists are in charge of the federal government, along with the home-grown ones in the state and local levels. The Bush years were less horrible in California and very horrible in Texas. The Obama years, not as much in both states.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:48 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
California has not voted Republican in a presidential election in 28 years and there's no sign it will do so anytime soon.
exactly, so all hillary voters can stay home.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually fundamentalism, whether Christian or Muslim, is a threat to liberal democracy. You probably experience it only on the federal level (in a subdued form) when Republicans are in power, but I have to live with these extremists and the laws that they pass every day here in Texas.

It's not a good day when these fundamentalists are in charge of the federal government, along with the home-grown ones in the state and local levels. The Bush years were less horrible in California and very horrible in Texas. The Obama years, not as much in both states.
Okay. None of this contradicts my post, but thank you?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
exactly, so all hillary voters can stay home.
I'm not sure you understand how this whole "not voting Republican" thing works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles