Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:20 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times

Advertisements

I use Silver Lake Blvd pretty regularly and would always see the same RVs and cars on the street (between Duane and Cove, before the private driveways intersect with Silver Lake Blvd). When I use to go to Porter Ranch, I would see the same thing on Tampa Avenue. There are a couple of other spots in the city. I feel sorry for these people getting blocked out of all these streets. Where are they all going? Is the city setting up certain streets where RVs and car campers can sleep? I've seen that one spot by the airport that will eventually be redeveloped, but are there others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 09:27 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
It is the opposite they are setting up areas where people can not set up and live in their cars. Or for construction crews to drop off their equipment overnight. In other areas it is so people can't as easily rent out rooms since the multiple tenants would have to find parking and public transportation to the lot to get to their cars.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:41 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
...I feel sorry for these people getting blocked out of all these streets. Where are they all going?...
They are all up on Angeles Crest Highway, in a lot of the turnouts.

Our vanpool commutes 'over the hill' from Palmdale to Pasadena pretty early in the morning and since the summer began, we've seen more and more cars parked in the turnouts. They put up 'stuff' to block the windows. Somebody must be sleeping in those cars. Way too early, and still dark, to be out and hiking about. There is one old bus that looks really ratty and we've been watching it all summer. Every couple of days, he moves it further up the Crest to the next turnout. Haven't seen it for the past week, so maybe he has moved up higher than the Angeles Forest Highway, (where we turn onto the Crest from Palmdale). Either that or the Rangers have finally chased him out of the forest and told him to park his bus somewhere else.

Yeah, sad. Those people sleeping in their cars can't be getting a good night's rest.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-06-2016, 11:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
I'm noticing more people sleeping in cars in Venice and Santa Monica. You see the usual ratty old vans but I saw a guy sleeping in a newer small Sprinter van. Quite stealthy, you'd never guess somebody was sleeping in such a small vehicle and by shining a flashlight in the windows you wouldn't be able to see him sleeping in the back. The only reason I spotted him was that during the recent heat wave he had the door open...Same van is still parked in area every night. You gotta think LA is not worth it if you have to live in your car to afford living here...

Old 10-06-2016, 11:52 PM

258 posts, read 195,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
You gotta think LA is not worth it if you have to live in your car to afford living here...
Pretty sure it might be temporary or not like permanent..

Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 PM

508 posts, read 504,287 times
Quote:
I'm noticing more people sleeping in cars in Venice and Santa Monica. You see the usual ratty old vans but I saw a guy sleeping in a newer small Sprinter van. Quite stealthy, you'd never guess somebody was sleeping in such a small vehicle and by shining a flashlight in the windows you wouldn't be able to see him sleeping in the back. The only reason I spotted him was that during the recent heat wave he had the door open...Same van is still parked in area every night. You gotta think LA is not worth it if you have to live in your car to afford living here...
That is not a new thing at all. Your just noticing it's a national issue that gets swept under the rug that is Los Angeles & the West Coast in general.

Last edited by afropack-man; 10-07-2016 at 12:23 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 02:35 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Posse on Broadway View Post
Pretty sure it might be temporary or not like permanent..
Well the guy in the Sprinter van has been there for like a month. I've been seeing the same ratty vans people live in for months. Not to mention the hobos partying it up in old RV's parked in Venice (that problem is rearing its ugly head again.) Living in your car is one step removed from living on the street. If they have a legitimate disability they should get government assistance and move somewhere more affordable.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:21 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Well the guy in the Sprinter van has been there for like a month. I've been seeing the same ratty vans people live in for months. Not to mention the hobos partying it up in old RV's parked in Venice (that problem is rearing its ugly head again.) Living in your car is one step removed from living on the street. If they have a legitimate disability they should get government assistance and move somewhere more affordable.
I had to do the same thing for almost two months. After getting hired, I figured it'd be the easiest way to save up so I can move into a place I wanted (I moved to LA with 200 bucks). Saved a few grand, used the gym for showering and my office has a spotless restroom. I remember seeing other people open their trunk at the gym after the morning workout and it would be organized with a bunch ot clothes and personal items like mine. Its clear what they're doing. But I always knew that I'd move into a place real soon. Some of these people have no choice. Go look at a Walmart parking lot too. A bunch of RVs and cars with blankets and shields covering the windows all over the lots.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:03 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
I have a relative who does in another part of so cal. He does not have to, but whenever someone offers full time work, he always has an excuse why it's not a good idea or time for that job. He's been living out of a vehicle for over a year now. Multiple family members have room for him to stay at their place, but everyone of them thinks that if they let him stay he will never leave.

The craziest thing is he doesn't drink and doesn't do drugs, so he could have worked two full time low end jobs all this time...like say subway, and a security job. His only expenses would be food, maybe gas(he should be able to walk or bike to both jobs), nominal car insurance, and cell phone. And he probably could have saved $25k in that time, found a room for rent for $700-800/mo and be down to just one job and maybe a part time one for a payment on a decent compact car(and ditch the crap Van).

But these people just don't think like that.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:17 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I have a relative who does in another part of so cal. He does not have to, but whenever someone offers full time work, he always has an excuse why it's not a good idea or time for that job. He's been living out of a vehicle for over a year now. Multiple family members have room for him to stay at their place, but everyone of them thinks that if they let him stay he will never leave.

The craziest thing is he doesn't drink and doesn't do drugs, so he could have worked two full time low end jobs all this time...like say subway, and a security job. His only expenses would be food, maybe gas(he should be able to walk or bike to both jobs), nominal car insurance, and cell phone. And he probably could have saved $25k in that time, found a room for rent for $700-800/mo and be down to just one job and maybe a part time one for a payment on a decent compact car(and ditch the crap Van).

But these people just don't think like that.

Some people just don't like to live by the rules of society and by the norms expected of independent and responsible tax paying citizens. Some people just want to live off the grid, by their rules only. It's ridiculous, but, I hope one day there will be no one just living willy nilly on the streets.

Last edited by MItoBH; 10-12-2016 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles