Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Trump has said he will cancel all federal funding to sanctuary cities, and LA is a sanctuary city. Losing federal funding would effect education, mass transit, transportation, the hospitals, etc. So does this mean that Los Angeles would be forced to give up its undocumented immigrants to federal authorities?

The federal government has enormous power through funding, and Trump knows and will use this.

Put it like this, I can see rental prices in LA going down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 08:17 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Don't worry, tax revenue from legal weed will offset it

Old 11-11-2016, 08:41 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Our politicians hate Trump and Republicans so much they may be willing to forgo the Federal money to support illegals who vote them in.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:45 AM

Wait a second... We've been getting federal funding for education, mass transit and hospitals? Where the hell is it going because those things are all embarrassments compared to most major cities. Essentially our corrupt politicians will have less money going into their pockets. Oh well

Old 11-11-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Our politicians hate Trump and Republicans so much they may be willing to forgo the Federal money to support illegals who vote them in.
But the public won't be able to endure those budget cuts. Urban police departments get federal funding, and so do a host of other services. I think Garcetti was likely counting on a Clinton victory. We'll see how he and the city council responds when ordered to end the sanctuary city status. Oh even the highways get federal funding.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But the public won't be able to endure those budget cuts. Urban police departments get federal funding, and so do a host of other services. I think Garcetti was likely counting on a Clinton victory. We'll see how he and the city council responds when ordered to end the sanctuary city status. Oh even the highways get federal funding.
No doubt. He was a very vocal supporter of Clinton and called Trump every name in the book.
He spoke at the DNC and there was talk of him being a VP pick too.

He needs to get over the election and over himself. I don't see him changing though.

I'm sure he would fight for illegals,etc but if he really sacrifices federal funding to remain a sanctuary city it would be very dumb and that likely would lead to a downfall.

Only thing I could see him doing is taxing his Hollywood or Developer buddies through the roof..but even then I don't think it would cut it.

Right now he's making things worse in my opinion by encouraging protests , which could turn into riots like in Portland last night.
He's not showing the signs of a strong leader.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No doubt. He was a very vocal supporter of Clinton and called Trump every name in the book.
He spoke at the DNC and there was talk of him being a VP pick too.

He needs to get over the election and over himself. I don't see him changing though.

I'm sure he would fight for illegals,etc but if he really sacrifices federal funding to remain a sanctuary city it would be very dumb and that likely would lead to a downfall.

Only thing I could see him doing is taxing his Hollywood or Developer buddies through the roof..but even then I don't think it would cut it.

Right now he's making things worse in my opinion by encouraging protests , which could turn into riots like in Portland last night.
He's not showing the signs of a strong leader.
That is what I am thinking. If he and the city council sacrifice federal funding to remain a sanctuary city they would be voted out of office. If he were to tax Hollywood through the roof they could flee to another city, so I don't see that working.

I think he will be forced to back down. The first 100 days after Trump is sworn it will be very interesting as big cities around the nation are FORCED to give up sanctuary city status.

In public policy we call it the carrot and the stick. The feds push policy by how and to who they allocate money. Trump knows that game very well, he is a real estate developer.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:34 AM

406 posts, read 348,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Wait a second... We've been getting federal funding for education, mass transit and hospitals? Where the hell is it going because those things are all embarrassments compared to most major cities. Essentially our corrupt politicians will have less money going into their pockets. Oh well
I take it you're not very familiar with how local government is funded. It's actually pretty sad how clueless you are in certain areas yet feel the necessity to share your ignorance. Remember the adage-
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"

If you think LA's mass transit is an embarrassment you're honestly delusional. In the past 25 years metro has built 105 miles and 6 lines of service. The bus ridership is one of the most comprehensive and highest ridership in the nation.

And what pray tell is wrong with our hospitals? UCLA, CHLA, Cedars-Sinai, Huntington, city of hope all have fantastic reputations. LA county is one of the few public hospitals in the country and through its connection with USC/Keck provides excellent service.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
I take it you're not very familiar with how local government is funded. It's actually pretty sad how clueless you are in certain areas yet feel the necessity to share your ignorance. Remember the adage-
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"

If you think LA's mass transit is an embarrassment you're honestly delusional. In the past 25 years metro has built 105 miles and 6 lines of service. The bus ridership is one of the most comprehensive and highest ridership in the nation.

And what pray tell is wrong with our hospitals? UCLA, CHLA, Cedars-Sinai, Huntington, city of hope all have fantastic reputations. LA county is one of the few public hospitals in the country and through its connection with USC/Keck provides excellent service.
It's pretty sad how you can't sense sarcasm. Typical self self righteous liberal.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:15 AM

131 posts, read 123,319 times
It doesn't sound like Trump will be coming to L.A. and tying up traffic while attending fundraisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles