Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:47 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,845,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True . I could see especially in some areas landlords being against doing anything about illegal immigration for fear that vacancy rates would go up.
I'm guessing it would be a gradual process though if it ever happens.
Start fining landlords (of apartment buildings at least) who don't check and report immigration status of new residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 02:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,377,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
If Trump were to deport 30% of 'undocumented aliens' from LA (in effect allegedly 3% percent of residents), I'd expect that to make a small, lingering effect on rents in the lower-income areas where they tend to reside.

There are of course other benefits to having fewer illegal immigrants around, including lower burden on social services and safer roads.

I have to question the judgment of anyone without close ties to illegal immigrants who would not support some reduction in their numbers.
I agree there could be some more vacancies or lowering of rents in those areas. But I would think demand would also get filled up pretty quickly. Lower rents would attract citizens from other states to come here too.

Lower burden on social services? Not sure about that looks like illegals do benefit from the social services
California

Also not sure about the safer roads either as L.A has a high hit and run rate and quite a bit of that is caused by illegal immigrants.

Report: Illegal Drivers Behind High Hit-And-Run Rate In LA « CBS Los Angeles

So these are the real issues in L.A and why being against illegal immigration doesn't mean you don't want to 'be around brown people' or something the way the left often makes it.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:50 PM

21,662 posts, read 16,194,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
BTW , I'm a leftie too, but at the end of the day, my wallet and own survival is more important.

Supply and demand? If 10% of the population took off, there would not be a housing shortage.
I'm not a "leftie". I am a non-ideologically bound logical realist. If 10% of the least desirable population left the void would be filled in a heartbeat with hopefuls from across the nation and around the world. And pricing would likely not even hiccup in the interim seconds.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,098,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I'm not a "leftie". I am a non-ideologically bound logical realist. If 10% of the least desirable population left the void would be filled in a heartbeat with hopefuls from across the nation and around the world. And pricing would likely not even hiccup in the interim seconds.
That's racist.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,377,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsouthoc View Post
that's racist.
:d

Old 11-12-2016, 06:18 PM

6,611 posts, read 4,845,199 times
I don't think lower rents in bad areas, where I think deportations are most likely to happen, would attract many people from out-of-state. Even poor people from other parts of the country know that South Central, for example, isn't a desirable LA experience. Maybe the exit of some illegal immigrants would bring some black people back to LA from its outskirts. I think a few years of de facto rent stabilization is more likely than lower rents. In Inglewood, perhaps the Trump effect would speed up gentrification.

Short-term greater conservation of natural resources, e.g., water, is basically guaranteed from large-scale deportations. So many positives and, if selective in removing illegal immigrants, very few negatives.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,706,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
He was born in LA but has one-quarter Mexican heritage. His father is half.
Here it is. One of his grandparents were born in Mexico but emigrant to Mexico from Italy. The other was born in USA. He has less than 1/4 Mexican.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Garcetti

Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 PM

21,662 posts, read 16,194,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
That's racist.
No. It's a restatment of your opinion.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:46 PM

37,096 posts, read 42,093,887 times
Honestly don't get the love for unlimited immigration that put a strain on everything. What exactly is the upside and to who? Should we be following the money? This election has shown that people aren't happy about any of this.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:15 PM

13,579 posts, read 15,578,677 times
I want to act out too. Look for me on the corner of Bundy and Wilshire holding a sign stating "NOT MY MAYOR".

The inept, vacuous, creepy, cuckholded, and recently revealed crooked Crookcetti is a disgrace. I never thought I'd be saying this, but yes, we actually have a mayor worse than Tattooed Tony.

Worst...mayor...ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCM8IjtQ-o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles