Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:34 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Radiolibre99 don't you get it ? You must know that the areas of LA where the most illegals live are the safest . Pacoima ,Boyle Heights etc
It's those immigrant Persian business owners in Beverly Hills that are causing all the crime and in gangs .
Yes, Van Nuys and MacArthur Park are the safest, cleanest, most desirable parts of LA! Everyone knows how those neighborhoods increased quality of life in the city once the illegals flooded in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 06:54 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Yes, Van Nuys and MacArthur Park are the safest, cleanest, most desirable parts of LA! Everyone knows how those neighborhoods increased quality of life in the city once the illegals flooded in!
Did you just arrive to Los Angeles yesterday or something?

MacArthur Park is 100 times safer than it used to be. 20 or 25 years ago it was a scary place to walk around during the DAYTIME, let alone at night. The area was an open drug market in the 80's and 90's. I don't live too far from MacArthur Park. It is a far safer and more family-oriented place today than it was in the not too distant past.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:12 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The department that invented the sanctuary city as we know it continues to coddle illegal immigrants. Chief Beck now says the department will not work with Homeland Security under a Trump Administration. Sounds like he's just asking for the department to have its federal funding cut off. Elections have consequences.

LAPD Will Not Help Deport Immigrants Under Trump Administration: Chief Beck | KTLA
Did you read the link you posted? This is the same LAPD policy the department has followed since 1979 when Chief Gates (the "Trump" of police chiefs) was in charge.

What exactly do you think should change in the LAPD's protocol? You want to turn the LAPD into an immigration enforcement agency like Arizona's 1070 tried (very unsuccessfully)?

Old 11-16-2016, 07:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Article from yesterday .. still doesn't mention anything about how LA will deal with loss of funding . Also "low level offenders " often keep offending and sometimes end up being murderers. This shouldn't make anyone in LA feel safe . They are more concerned with protecting criminals versus non criminals .

"The Los Angeles Police Department will not actively help federal officials apprehend immigrants who are in the country illegally and are "low-level offenders," even in the face of President-elect Donald Trump's plans to deport up to 3 million immigrants who have committed crimes, Police Chief Charlie Beck said Tuesday."

‘It’s not our job’: LAPD won’t enforce federal immigration laws, chief says

Old 11-16-2016, 10:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Did you read the link you posted? This is the same LAPD policy the department has followed since 1979 when Chief Gates (the "Trump" of police chiefs) was in charge.

What exactly do you think should change in the LAPD's protocol? You want to turn the LAPD into an immigration enforcement agency like Arizona's 1070 tried (very unsuccessfully)?
Gates invented the sanctuary city. It was his idea.

Most of SB 1070 was ruled unconstitutional because states cannot dictate their own immigration policy. For the same reason sanctuary cities violate the Constitution.

Garcetti and Beck no more have the right to declare L.A. a sanctuary city from immigration laws than Bull Connor had the right to declare his city to be a "sanctuary city" from civil rights laws and George Wallace, Orval Faubus, and Lester Maddox had to declare their states to be "sanctuaries" from civil rights laws.

Last edited by majoun; 11-16-2016 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Garcetti and Beck no more have the right to declare L.A. a sanctuary city from immigration laws than Bull Connor had the right to declare his city to be a "sanctuary city" from civil rights laws and George Wallace, Orval Faubus, and Lester Maddox had to declare their states to be "sanctuaries" from civil rights laws.
I have no horse in this race, but this argument reeks of false equivalence.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:31 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Most illegals have a Pit Bull adding to the danger from them.
They do? Let's see the statistics on that, please. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2016, 11:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Did you just arrive to Los Angeles yesterday or something?

MacArthur Park is 100 times safer than it used to be. 20 or 25 years ago it was a scary place to walk around during the DAYTIME, let alone at night. The area was an open drug market in the 80's and 90's. I don't live too far from MacArthur Park. It is a far safer and more family-oriented place today than it was in the not too distant past.
Did you just make something up in your head about the meaning of my post?

The point is we're talking about how floods of illegals from developing countries negatively impacts a neighborhood. I never said MacArthur Park was THE unsafest part of the city or made any comparisons to its past. I don't live "not too far" here like you--I live "right here" and it's Exhibit A for how illegal immigration and the amnesty under Reagan can destroy neighborhoods. I also travel throughout the city/county on a regular basis for work to the neighborhoods those of you in a bubble never set foot in. Some of you may have lived in LA for decades but you still stay in your bubble. Yes I know the peak of its violent crime was in the 90's, but many decades before that it was actually where the wealthy lived. Van Nuys is an example of a more recent decline. Do you not see any correlation between the type of people living in an area and the quality of life? So great--it went from being a hellhole of blood and murder to just being very filthy with garbage, homelessness, and MS-13 graffiti sprayed everywhere including daycare centers and churches. Wow what a low bar for expectations. And it's only "family-oriented" because it's fill to the brim with people crapping out litters of kids to collect benefits. I doubt you would want to move YOUR family there. You obviously haven't been to these neighborhoods lately--just read the good press about the drop in violent crime since the 90's so now these areas are hunky-dory.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:27 PM

406 posts, read 348,285 times
Quote:

The point is we're talking about how floods of illegals from developing countries negatively impacts a neighborhood. I never said MacArthur Park was THE unsafest part of the city or made any comparisons to its past. I don't live "not too far" here like you--I live "right here" and it's Exhibit A for how illegal immigration and the amnesty under Reagan can destroy neighborhoods. I also travel throughout the city/county on a regular basis for work to the neighborhoods those of you in a bubble never set foot in. Some of you may have lived in LA for decades but you still stay in your bubble. Yes I know the peak of its violent crime was in the 90's, but many decades before that it was actually where the wealthy lived. Van Nuys is an example of a more recent decline. Do you not see any correlation between the type of people living in an area and the quality of life? So great--it went from being a hellhole of blood and murder to just being very filthy with garbage, homelessness, and MS-13 graffiti sprayed everywhere including daycare centers and churches. Wow what a low bar for expectations. And it's only "family-oriented" because it's fill to the brim with people crapping out litters of kids to collect benefits. I doubt you would want to move YOUR family there. You obviously haven't been to these neighborhoods lately--just read the good press about the drop in violent crime since the 90's so now these areas are hunky-dory.
So what about all of these illegals from Canada & Europe (~20% of all illegals entering the country every year are from these 2 areas). Because they aren't from developing countries they get a free pass? Is it one of these things where "certain" illegals are OK, but "those" illegals are not?

Homeland Security produces first estimate of foreign visitors to U.S. who overstay deadline to leave | Pew Research Center

Old 11-16-2016, 12:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:

MacArthur Park and Westlake are in better shape now than they have been for a long time. However, there are still certainly issues there.

It was the closing of the GM plant that brought down Van Nuys and the rest of the northeast Valley, along with the closing of other factories. Just like in places in the Midwest that had few or no illegals. If the factories had stayed open Van Nuys would be in much better shape right now.

Westlake hasn't been "where the wealthy lived" in many decades. The white flight there happened in the early 1960s. Was that the result of the "illegal immigration and amnesty under Kennedy" - which somehow is unbeknownst to literally everyone else besides yourself?

As I've said on other posts in this thread which I started, illegal immigration is a problem and sanctuary cities should not be tolerated but you can't blame all of L.A.'s problems on illegal immigration, and it is true that immigration has improved some neighborhoods. South L.A., Compton, and Inglewood are definitely in better shape now than they have been for a very long time, and all have been improved by immigration. I have never denied most of the illegals are perfectly decent people but that still doesn't mean we can't enforce our laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles