Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:14 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,583,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I do not believe that claim. And why would anybody? If that claim was true, why would African-Americans in droves be leaving areas with increasing illegal alien populations and moving to places such as Palmdale?
Don't believe it. These "statistics" do not distinguish between legal and illegal, such as the WSJ article about "newcomers" committing less crime. They also ignore numbers of imprisoned illegal aliens in the states with the highest illegal populations--CA, TX, FL, NY. And even if they did, is that enough of an argument to keep them? We should ignore immigration law and have open borders unless their crime rates match the citizen rate? I'm sure the friends and family of people who were brutalized by an illegal alien can find consolation in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,418,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Places like LA and Chicago will effectively become feudal city states defying the Federal government. It won't end well for these city states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Blacks left South Los Angeles for a variety of reasons including greater economic opportunity in more suburban areas of the Metro area while others went to other states like Texas or the deep south.

But why would anybody believe the claim? Because they'd look at the evidence from reputable sources.

You've been around long enough to know what a killing zone LA was circa 1990. We've seen a dramatic decrease in homicides and violent crime since that time. Yet, we got "flooded" with illegals during that time period. That ought to tell you something.
Exactly, violent crime has went down a lot since the early 90s despite this "flooding" of illegals. I'm not familiar with LA, but there are neighborhoods in NY filled with immigrants (both legal and illegal) from Latin America and they have little to no murders. I wouldn't be surprised if LA was similar in that regard.

As for blacks leaving South LA, seeking lower rents in places outside LA proper is a likely reason.

And JM1982, the "Latinx" thing is only uses by some feminists who believe that "Latino" being the default is sexist. Please don't claim that Latinos call themselves that (I've never heard anyone say it).

Old 11-14-2016, 11:21 PM

21,635 posts, read 16,178,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Don't believe it. These "statistics" do not distinguish between legal and illegal, such as the WSJ article about "newcomers" committing less crime. And even if they did, is that enough of an argument to keep them? We should ignore immigration law and have open borders unless their crime rates match the citizen rate? I'm sure the friends and family of people who were brutalized by an illegal alien can find consolation in that.
I see you didn't read the quotes carefully nor look into the sourcing in depth. Some of the studies do address the difference between legal immigrants and illegals. And the sources include conservative media as well as independent studies published by police and justice organizations.

That all said, I didn't suggest there was any reason to keep "them" or to "ignore immigration law and have open borders". I am an anti all kinds of immigration guy. I am also an anti-bS lies guy - which is why I keep correcting the BS I read on this forum.

But, now that you mention it - if illegals commit crime less than citizens ........ makes ya think for a minute, don't it? I'm safer with illegals? Neat to know

Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,525,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
What amazed me about the Obama administration was that they claimed they were suing states who implemented their own laws to stop illegal immigration (NC, AZ, etc.) in their states because it conflicted and interfered with the federal government's enforcement of the laws, but these sanctuary cities literally REFUSE to turn over illegal immigrants and cooperate in any way with ICE, which I'm pretty sure interferes, but the Obama administration never went after them. Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.
Justice Anthony Kennedy, in the majority opinion of Arizona v. US, made it very clear that states and cities cannot make immigration policy - which is the exclusive responsibility of the federal government. Thus not only was most of SB 1070 unconstitutional, but sanctuary cities are also unconstitutional.

Barring a constitutional amendment to allow states to make immigration policy - which some red states would absolutely love, as it would give them carte blanche to crack down hard - sanctuary cities will remain unconstitutional.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Don't believe it. These "statistics" do not distinguish between legal and illegal, such as the WSJ article about "newcomers" committing less crime. They also ignore numbers of imprisoned illegal aliens in the states with the highest illegal populations--CA, TX, FL, NY. And even if they did, is that enough of an argument to keep them? We should ignore immigration law and have open borders unless their crime rates match the citizen rate? I'm sure the friends and family of people who were brutalized by an illegal alien can find consolation in that.
I live in New York and the neighborhoods in NYC said to have many illegals are not dangerous. In fact I'd be totally comfortable living in any of them

I'm not arguing for unrestricted immigration, but it's disgusting to me that some people want a Kristallnacht type of thing against illegals to happen.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Justice Anthony Kennedy, in the majority opinion of Arizona v. US, made it very clear that states and cities cannot make immigration policy - which is the exclusive responsibility of the federal government. Thus not only was most of SB 1070 unconstitutional, but sanctuary cities are also unconstitutional.

Barring a constitutional amendment to allow states to make immigration policy - which some red states would absolutely love, as it would give them carte blanche to crack down hard - sanctuary cities will remain unconstitutional.
Sanctuary cities don't make immigration policy. They simply don't report immigration status nor arrest persons for simply being undocumented - and are not required to do so by federal law, or even federal request.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Places like LA and Chicago will effectively become feudal city states defying the Federal government. It won't end well for these city states.
Interesting parallels with certain jurisdictions in the Southern US about 50 years ago, or for that matter, about 150 years ago.

What's funny is that Garcetti and the rest of the PC crowd would be horrified at being compared to George Wallace or Orval Faubus in their stand against federal authority, and look down upon the "tenther" movement, but they are challenging the power of the feds and sticking up for local authority in order to support their political orthodoxy in the same way as southern governors and mayors of the past...

Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Sanctuary cities don't make immigration policy. They simply don't report immigration status nor arrest persons for simply being undocumented - and are not required to do so by federal law, or even federal request.
That's preempting federal law, which is forbidden by the Supremacy Clause.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Interesting parallels with certain jurisdictions in the Southern US about 50 years ago, or for that matter, about 150 years ago.

What's funny is that Garcetti and the rest of the PC crowd would be horrified at being compared to George Wallace or Orval Faubus in their stand against federal authority, and look down upon the "tenther" movement, but they are challenging the power of the feds and sticking up for local authority in order to support their political orthodoxy in the same way as southern governors and mayors of the past...
The difference is that a city being a sanctuary city isn't really hurting anyone. NYC is a sanctuary city and is booming.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
That's preempting federal law, which is forbidden by the Supremacy Clause.
Preempting what federal law? There's no federal law I'm aware of that requires local authorities to determine the immigration status of persons in the local community and report such to ICE. Determining an individual's immigration status is the responsibility of the federal authorities when they see fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles